Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2015, 05:26 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
It's not like he stole the money from someones car, it's more like finding a stack of money on your front porch. I don't think it should be a criminal offense. And 10 years of probation is insane for this.
Um, no, it's not like finding a stack of money that you don't know where it came from.

Quote:
“I told that woman up at the bank she should have looked over her mistake that she made if she knew there were three people up there with the same name,” said Stacey Sorrow, a woman who raised the teen.
“He (teen) was excited. I would have been too,” she adds, recalling the moment the teen discovered the funds in his account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 08:41 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,521,771 times
Quote:
It's not like he stole the money from someones car, it's more like finding a stack of money on your front porch. I don't think it should be a criminal offense. And 10 years of probation is insane for this.
Stealing it taking something that doesn't belong to you without permission. Now before semantics get you going the guy knew the money did not belong to him. If someone parks their car in your driveway do you get to keep? The correct answer is no, you do not. If you did you would be arrested and convicted of theft. More compromised people. It appears there might be quite a few previously convicted or soon to be convicteds here. What else could explain such a lack of common sense and understanding of basic ethics and morality?

Old 03-14-2015, 09:47 PM

756 posts, read 834,535 times
Post Spoiled Brat Or Spoiled Bank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Teen convicted after spending $30K mistakenly deposited into his account | myfox8.com

Why should he have to pay it back or be punished at all? The bank's the one who screwed up.
Punish Him. But punish the banks too. Those greedy banks never get punished.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:50 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,673 times
I'm truly shocked that this debatable. Of course he should have contacted the bank immediately, versus running out and buying a BMW.

I did have something similar happen to me once, though, and it did end up as a "gift from God". LOL. It was a much smaller amount, $60. I deposited a check nto my account, and few days later, when reviewing my account history, noticed that it had been credited twice, so I ended up with $120. I called the bank, and after being transferred about 17 times, finally got through to somebody who apologized for the error, thanked me for my honesty, and said she would correct it.

A few days later, I checked my account history again, and saw that the clerk rather than reversing the incorrect credit, had credited yet another $60 to my account! So, I was up to a total of $180!

Once again, I called, went through the tangled phone tree, repeated the story a few times before getting a manager, who apologized, thanked me for my honestly, and said she'd take care of it.

Guess what? Yep, freakin' Ground Hog's Day, it happened AGAIN!!! By this time, it was starting to get comical. My husband joked that I could probably quit my day job, and just keep calling the bank every so often, to get them to deposit more money to our account.

Again, I called, again I got transferred. This time, I got a manager, who told me in a weary voice, "Just keep it. It's really not that much, and it would cost more in man hours to go through the paper work to reverse all those errors, at this point. "

So, I did! Once a year went by, I figured I was "safe" and they really were going to let me keep it.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:27 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,574,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
10 years probation + paying back the 30k is extremely harsh in my opinion. Probation costs, court fees, etc. will add up to well over 50k when everything is final.
I think he got away lucky. He could have got Jail time. Besides, that extra money will pay for the education he got with that 30K, that he could not get in school.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
The kid did wrong, no excuses, he was brought to justice, in my opinion with a wrong sentence. I could see 1 yr probation and repaying the 30k, but 10 yrs probation is a bit of a stretch.

If he doesn't intend to screw up, there is no problem. Its like you or me worrying about Jail Time, but not breaking any Laws. Its Moot.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:33 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I don't think he should have to pay it back. The bank has insurance to cover this.
Banks create money. When you get a mortgage, they don't use someone else's money
and loan it to you. What they do is write a draft. In essence, they create the debt.
It is no skin off their back, and it's their mistake, and if I were the kid, I'd never pay it back.
After 7 years I would declare bk or some other legal way out.
I have absolutely no tolerance for banks, it's their mistake, not his. They suffer not.

Do you know the bank has insurance to cover this? Do you know if they filed a claim? I work at a bank and we would not use insurance to covers this. It would hit my p&l directly

Old 03-14-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:

That's rich. What difference does it make where he stole it. or how?

And yes, its like finding a sack of money on your Porch.... because an Armored Car had an accident in front of your house, and one of the bags landed on your Porch. Do you get to keep it? Silly Rabbit....

Old 03-15-2015, 12:51 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,033,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Um, no, it's not like finding a stack of money that you don't know where it came from.
Actually thats exactly what happened. The money appeared in his account. At that point he didn't know where it came from. Just like finding a stack of money.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:59 AM

269 posts, read 371,231 times
Exact same thing happened to me about 8 years ago, same amount of money as well. But it was a salary payment from my job at the time. I told HR about the error, gave it back and I didn't mess up my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events