Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 11:29 AM

50 posts, read 58,786 times

Advertisements

Awful bill and the reprsentative who proposed it should be thrown out of office. 25 feet back is way too open to interpretation. The rep is a complete moron imho. Doesn't he understand that cameras can only help honest law enforcement.

I have no doubt that had the ferguson shooting been recorded it would have shown Michael Brown acting like a thug and trying take the officers gun. Than all of this hands up BS would have never made the rounds and several brave police officers in Brooklyn might be still alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 11:48 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,025,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Because I agree that this bill will not pass and was Ill conceieved does not equate to the anti police bias spewed by you...
Now your suggesting that ..background noise...somehow equates with a ability to record and enter anywhere you like..at least this is the inference I take from rabid posts. ie a scene where a policeman is taking action... while I could care less about being filmed if anyone is an asshat interfering with my job...doesn't leave when asked... causes me safety issues or diversion of my attention during dangerous or critical times while I'm taking action...
148 PC.... youre going to jail

The street is not the time to litigate... my scene is my office... and you cannot interfere no matter what rights you think you have...
Which is all total BS to cover up the fact that you don't want any video there, while you are beating the crap out of someone, or possibly shooting an unarmed person.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Nonsense. Would you object to a government camera in your private home...seeing as how you're not doing anything wrong? Huh? Would you? Of course you would. So would I.
Nobody is talking about private homes. We are talking about public officials in public places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Look, the cops aren't the bad guys.
The cops aren't bad guys, but you just don't want them filmed. I wonder why? This makes me think you don't even believe your own rhetoric.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:26 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Which is all total BS to cover up the fact that you don't want any video there, while you are beating the crap out of someone, or possibly shooting an unarmed person.
You continue your police hating diatribes... I'll continue to post reality...
Film away... we have been conditioned to being filmed for years... you must think police don't like it... bunk... all police want is to be judged fairly on the totality of the incident... what occurred before your cell phone video...and before you lie about what you saw... ala Ferguson
What are you going do today to improve your community?.... anything?

Whining on city data is an ineffectual way to effect positive change... the one value it has is it gives people a birdseye view of the spudnuts we deal with daily on the street .

Everyone is a cameraman today... being videotaped is no longer unusual in any fashion whatsoever... and as a public servant it goes with the job... stop trying to make it something that is somehow sinister... it isn't...
We don't care... as long as you don't interfere or delay us

Last edited by notmeofficer; 03-15-2015 at 12:35 PM..

Old 03-15-2015, 12:42 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
I do not think a person filming an officer should be getting within 5 feet or trying to interfere with or provoke an officer verbally in any ways during any situation... they should be taken into custody if they do. The line between freedom and stupidity has to end somewhere...

However cops need to do a better job of policing their own. Cops that are known to shoot dogs that are of no harm to them should be fired, for example... or try to do warrant-less searches on people. Cops who are known to be corrupt need to be policed because these corrupt cops will try to get other corrupt ones into the force. I've never had any bad dealings with officers so I don't know how prevalent this actually is.

There's also the war on drugs, particularly the war on marijuana, that many people dislike. If I was a cop I'd turn my head to anyone I suspected of possessing marijuana. I don't see it as a crime. I see the drug war fueled by many big interests that make a lot of money from it.. including the 'prison industrial complex' ... this fuels further tension between citizens and police who enforce the laws on the books...

Old 03-15-2015, 01:14 PM

On a related subject, another thing that bugs the hell out of me, are those cops that carry giant 1000 foot rolls of yellow 'Police Line" tape in their trunks. Then they start stringing it out for blocks in every direction around any incident. That's crime scene tape. It was designed to seal off an immediate crime scene, not to isolate entire neighborhoods. It cuts neighbors off from their homes, customers can't get to businesses near the incident.

Just more power tripping cops, trying to show that not only are they in charge of a crime scene, but they can take over and control an entire neighborhood.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:07 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
So, 25 foot barrier to videoing.

GREAT, I guess a cop just has to walk towards the citizen-criminal who is videoing.........................HEY, YOU ARE NOW TOO CLOSE TO FILM!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-15-2015, 09:40 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,569,455 times
Quote:
Have you ever tried to record non-amplified voices at 30 feet. Assuming you have a microphone that can pick up voices 30 feet away (most non-profesionals who this is directed at do not), there is a little problem of a thing called back ground noise.

I can hear people talking at 30 feet. Why can't you? Even without this Law, you couldn't get closer than 20 feet, or you would be interfering with the Police. What's another 10 feet....nothing. Go out and try it..

Old 03-15-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
What does that have to do with this thread? If the cops are not thugs and villains, then they should have nothing to hide and no reason not to want to have people recording them. Why do you want to protect bad cops by making it illegal for citizens to record them? Unless maybe you think there are more thugs and villains in the police department then you are letting on.
Your really not part of the solution to what your complaining about. Your part of the problem. Yours is the anti-Police mindset, same as all the Protesters that end up rioting and looting. And before you deny it, you said in another thread, that if someone accidently put money in your account, you would keep it, because its "like finding money in your yard" or some nonsense like that.

All that does is just prove my point. There are some bad cops, and there are some bad citizens. The only difference between a Bad Cop and your mindset, is a Uniform.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I do not think a person filming an officer should be getting within 5 feet or trying to interfere with or provoke an officer verbally in any ways during any situation... they should be taken into custody if they do. The line between freedom and stupidity has to end somewhere...
Five feet is way, way, way, to close. Twenty feet or twenty five feet is reasonable, unless there is violence involved or a weapon. Common sense should prevail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events