Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 01:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

why do you think they have had the success they have had in certain areas of syria and iraq?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 01:39 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
how do you lock up someone that hasnt committed any crimes?
Because attempting to commit a crime (in this case attempting to provide material support/assistance to a terrorist organization, which is against the law) is a crime. This is true whether we're discussing attempt to commit murder (just because you failed to kill your target doesn't mean that you're not guilty of the crime of attempt).

Here's more on the matter: FBI — U.S. Air Force Veteran Charged with Attempting to Provide Material Support to ISIL

Old 03-17-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Because attempting to commit a crime (in this case attempting to provide material support/assistance to a terrorist organization, which is against the law) is a crime as well. This is true whether we're discussing attempt to commit murder (just because you failed to kill your target doesn't mean that you're not guilty of the crime of attempt).

Here's more on the matter: FBI — U.S. Air Force Veteran Charged with Attempting to Provide Material Support to ISIL
being a member of isis is a crime?

Old 03-17-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
being a member of isis is a crime?
Whoever claimed that? I repeat, attempting to provide material support to a terrorist organization is a crime under US law.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Whoever claimed that? I repeat, attempting to provide material support to a terrorist organization is a crime under US law.
they are a sunni militia. you seem to be claiming that joining them is providing material support to a terrorist organization. so you are that claimed being a member of isis is a crime.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
they are a sunni militia. you seem to be claiming that joining them is providing material support to a terrorist agency. so you are that claimed being a member of isis is a crime.
No, I don't. And, for the purposes of the law, ISIS is a designated terrorist organization; providing material support to this terrorist organization is a crime under 18 U.S.C. Section 2339B: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2339B But I provided a link to the FBI press release on the matter. While the FBI press release doesn't get into all of the evidence against the man, obviously there was enough to support probable cause for an indictment in Federal court under the U.S. Code.

The title of my thread is merely paraphrasing the title of the article I cited. Nothing more. When asked whether joining a terrorist organization is a crime, I already stated "no" and explained what the crime is here. In the event that you were confused about what I believed was a crime, I clarified matters in a prior post. Thus, I don't see why you continue to make such a claim. There's nothing complex here.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:52 PM

the government creates a lot of illegal laws. that doesnt make it right. he tried to join isis and failed. i dont see a legitimate crime here.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:54 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
I am assuming there is more to the story. Sounds to me more like he was going to end up as a future beheading or human torch victim of IS rather than raging jihad. But if he wanted to die it seems to me that an American with a history of working in the area who simply wants to fly from Egypt to Turkey and visit Syria shouldn't be a crime.

It isn't like the US doesn't have a history of increasing tyranny over it's citizens. Now we are apparently under some sort of travel restriction. Don't get me wrong, I'm as anti-muslim as any good American (sarcasm) and a vacation in that dung heap part of the world didn't make my bucket list, and I like my head right where it is. . But I am a Free American and it is or was my Right to travel wherever I want to go.

I don't see how simply going someplace is offering aid to the enemy. Under that premise it won't be long before we can't travel to Texas.

Now let's talk about why the regieme was following his internet seaches and how. Does watching terrorist videos and then going on a trip to the mideast make someone a terrorist? Was he doing this in the US or overseas?

Old 03-17-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
the government creates a lot of illegal laws. that doesnt make it right. he tried to join isis and failed. i dont see a legitimate crime here.
Well, the Federal court found probable cause to sustain the indictment under the U.S. Code, which does not criminalize mere membership in a terrorist organization. That tells me a lot. At the end of the day, I will reiterate that there are laws on the books to stop people like this, which ultimately serve to keep them off of our streets and out of Iraq/Syria.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Now let's talk about why the regieme was following his internet seaches and how. Does watching terrorist videos and then going on a trip to the mideast make someone a terrorist? Was he doing this in the US or overseas?
did you notice in the article the part where they found "electronic devices" including a cell phone with a picture of a machine gun? that was hilarious. as if a picture of a machine gun is some kind of damning evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events