Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 10:31 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
vision33r, We are down to 3.6% annual increases in medical costs, versus >10% a decade ago. Health care inflation is under control, and as long as that continues, the percentage insured via employer will stay sky high, as it is an expected employee benefit. If the employer does not offer it, that employer is not competitive in the professional employment marketplace.
The ACA has also greatly reduced losses for hospitals because they no longer have nearly as many uninsured patients to deal with. Yeah, the ACA is just such a disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 12:42 AM

16 posts, read 24,989 times
16.4 million. Amazing what happens when government forces you to purchase something.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:46 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,252,722 times
Such as it is. My daughter has Obamacare, but she can't find a doctor who will accept it. When they hear she has Obamacare, they "aren't accepting new patients." Can't say that I blame the doctors, though.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:51 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,252,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
The ACA has also greatly reduced losses for hospitals because they no longer have nearly as many uninsured patients to deal with. Yeah, the ACA is just such a disaster.
No, more likely the hospitals who take Obamacare are LOSING money because they are treating patients and not being reimbursed as much as they would for a patient with regular, non-Obama insurance. It is NOT the same. Doctors who accept Obamacare get screwed. They don't want to accept it. A lot of doctors don't accept it. A lot of hospitals don't accept it. I don't blame them.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:55 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,519,986 times
Wait until people start cancelling their coverage because they can't afford it as the cost of health care continues to exceed the increases of the cost of living index, their paychecks don't keep pace and they get taxed for the benefit.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:04 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,120,665 times
Here's a head scratcher, the Administration claimed 16.4 million based on a computer model added to a Gallup poll. Yet Gallup claims the real number is 9.7 million. So, who are we supposed to believe, the government that used Gallup's numbers or Gallup? Or none of the above?

Obama administration: 16.4M have gained health insurance - TimesDaily: Business

Old 03-27-2015, 05:04 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,147,805 times
We needed a plan. President Clinton spoke about one, and President Obama delivered one. Kudos! At least we are on the path.

The thing that bothers me about our current 'National Healthcare System' is for those that do not qualify for Medicare or Medicaid, and do not have employers that provide Medical benefits:

We are forced by law to purchase a product from a private company, or pay an annually progressive tax to the government; who is providing no healthcare - not even preventative medicine - to that tax-paying individual in return for the tax.

You see plans out there that offer you a $30,000 family deductible, and $ 5,000 to $ 10,000 individual deductible annually before they will foot 80% of a reduced contracted fee - a reduced fee that an uncovered person is not entitled to from that same 'private company-contracted' service provider. You and your family need to be stricken with an amazingly catastrophic disease to benefit from these plans at all. So, getting a plan your family can afford does not necessarily mean getting any actual coverage in return for the purchase - IF you and your family happen to be relatively young and/or healthy.

Any hospital/clinic (public or private) that recieves government funding in some form, usually provides a fee-scale price based on income, but what working person has all day to spend sitting in a clinic to await their turn at a doctor? And, that scaled fee that you qualified for does not eliminate the tax for not being covered.

Now we must await a Congress or President that will deliver a better plan, or force us by law to purchase something else from private businesses that employers and/or the government do not wish to freely provide to ALL citizens equally. Maybe in another 50 to 100 years or so??

Right now, if someone is looking to expand or start a business, and has the capital to do so, its can be very lucrative to start a new Health Insurance company.

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 03-27-2015 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: to elaborate

Old 03-27-2015, 06:25 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
No, more likely the hospitals who take Obamacare are LOSING money because they are treating patients and not being reimbursed as much as they would for a patient with regular, non-Obama insurance. It is NOT the same. Doctors who accept Obamacare get screwed. They don't want to accept it. A lot of doctors don't accept it. A lot of hospitals don't accept it. I don't blame them.
I think ultimately the solution is to tell all physicians and hospitals that won't accept insurance under the ACA that they are barred from receiving Medicare, Medicaid, and funding from any other health program that includes federal dollars.

I guess that leaves them with a fairly limited range of options for reimbursement. If they want to practice medicine with those limitations in place, than more power to them.

Actually, I'm not convinced that the problem you describe is a particularly serious one. If it were, everyone having insurance under the ACA would be up in arms and that's just not the case. I hear all kinds of reports from people who have it who are pretty happy.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:15 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think ultimately the solution is to tell all physicians and hospitals that won't accept insurance under the ACA that they are barred from receiving Medicare, Medicaid, and funding from any other health program that includes federal dollars.

I guess that leaves them with a fairly limited range of options for reimbursement. If they want to practice medicine with those limitations in place, than more power to them.

Actually, I'm not convinced that the problem you describe is a particularly serious one. If it were, everyone having insurance under the ACA would be up in arms and that's just not the case. I hear all kinds of reports from people who have it who are pretty happy.
A lot of doctors won't take Medicaid patients either for the same reason as people mentioned above, they don't make enough money per patient off of them. If we barred physicians from taking Medicaid patients, as well as those with ACA plans we'd just be hurting patients, not doctors. A lot of people are unhappy with obamacare.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:35 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
A lot of doctors won't take Medicaid patients either for the same reason as people mentioned above, they don't make enough money per patient off of them. If we barred physicians from taking Medicaid patients, as well as those with ACA plans we'd just be hurting patients, not doctors. A lot of people are unhappy with obamacare.
Those people unhappy with Obamacare fail to show a viable alternative. Some here have said they want national health insurance. I do too. However, there is something less than a snowball's chance in hell that the current Congress would make this reform.

I suspect, with some shopping around, 99% of those with an insurance plan under the ACA can find a doctor and hospital that will take their insurance. If finding participating providers is truly a problem than its time to consider a reimbursement and regulatory structure that will require participation. Put enough pressure on those providing services--with some possible additional reimbursement--and we'll get to where we need to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events