Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 03:46 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times

Advertisements

The bill also included some much needed transportation funding for this state. The speed limit was just icing on the cake since most people go that fast anyways. The average speed during non rush hour is probably around 82, rush hour around 87. For those who have never traveled the great plains you could go 100 mph on these interstates and still be less stressed and safer than many areas. Traffic density is low, roads are pretty straight, visibility ranges from 1 to 35 miles depending on location.

South Dakota raises interstate speed limit to 80 mph | Grand Forks Herald

As part of a comprehensive transportation package, Gov. Dennis Daugaard agreed to a provision raising the speed limit on its two interstates from 75 mph to 80 mph.

It will be the highest speed limit in the region, with North Dakota’s limit at 75 mph, Minnesota at 70 mph and Montana at 75 mph.
South Dakota’s two interstates include Interstate 29 running north and south and Interstate 90 running east and west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 01:16 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Hmmmmm On 1/4??

I wonder if its an April f00ls joke??

Ah man!!

Old 03-20-2015, 01:52 PM

725 posts, read 805,664 times
Good. If you look at all the low speed crashes in nyc it is because cars are constantly piled up so close together. It's unavoidable in nyc because of the traffic. But where there is less traffic and straight and decent roads going fast is safer. Look at the autoban with speeds over 100 miles an hour. It's one of the safest roads in the world. Speed limits are arbitrary numbers used by the police state to earn revenue and make an excuse for stopping people. The safest speed is to go with the flow of traffic and not some arbitrary number. If conditions are good traffic moves fast and if conditions are bad like snow then traffic will move slow.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:48 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Utah raised speeds on I15 to 80mph some time ago ......

"A 2009 Utah study on stretches of Interstate 15 in that state found drivers complied better with the 80 mph speed limit than with the previous 75 mph limit. There was a 20 percent reduction in drivers exceeding the 80 mph limit, the study showed.

Data from a separate 2012 study of two portions of I-15 in Utah found an 11 percent to 20 percent drop in speed-related crashes, depending on which stretches were studied."

80 mph limit on SD interstates passes panel

Old 03-21-2015, 01:46 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
This is part of a trend across the western states. I'm kind of surprised that Montana and Nevada (two states that historically had no speed limits), are not getting on the band wagon yet. Now the question is will Oregon where I'm moving, ever get a speed limit over 65 mph. Probably not. I guess the need the speed tax revenue too much.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:31 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Video showing them making the signs. Relatively inexpensive to make

Our First Look At 80 MPH | KDLT.com South Dakota News - News, Sports, and Weather Sioux Falls South Dakota

Faster drivers are typically more focused on the road and less distracted. Going through MN having to go 55-60 on state highways is enough to put me to sleep. State highways are 65 here but typically people still go 75-80 on them as well particularly in western South Dakota where it's very low pop density. Could get away with going 100+ if you wanted and I'm sure some do.

Guy I know who's big into cars tells me stories of how he used to make runs from Brookings to Sioux Falls going 120+ MPH back in his younger days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
Good. If you look at all the low speed crashes in nyc it is because cars are constantly piled up so close together. It's unavoidable in nyc because of the traffic. But where there is less traffic and straight and decent roads going fast is safer. Look at the autoban with speeds over 100 miles an hour. It's one of the safest roads in the world. Speed limits are arbitrary numbers used by the police state to earn revenue and make an excuse for stopping people. The safest speed is to go with the flow of traffic and not some arbitrary number. If conditions are good traffic moves fast and if conditions are bad like snow then traffic will move slow.

Agreed. There's tons of instances where they try to slow people down to 35MPH on county roads for no good reason and people ignore the speed limits and go around 50. Low speed limits are really no safer in daylight conditions with snow free roads. Sometimes neighborhood residents get them implemented to reduce noise as well... don't move so close to a major commuting artery and you wouldn't have a problem. They could also address the issue of loud motorcycle and aftermarket exhausts which I personally think should be banned (probably not a popular opinion)

Last edited by sholomar; 03-22-2015 at 06:48 AM..

Old 03-22-2015, 12:25 PM

1,548 posts, read 913,343 times
South Dakota has a rush hour? Who knew.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:40 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Video showing them making the signs. Relatively inexpensive to make

Our First Look At 80 MPH | KDLT.com South Dakota News - News, Sports, and Weather Sioux Falls South Dakota

Faster drivers are typically more focused on the road and less distracted. Going through MN having to go 55-60 on state highways is enough to put me to sleep. State highways are 65 here but typically people still go 75-80 on them as well particularly in western South Dakota where it's very low pop density. Could get away with going 100+ if you wanted and I'm sure some do.

Guy I know who's big into cars tells me stories of how he used to make runs from Brookings to Sioux Falls going 120+ MPH back in his younger days.

Agreed. There's tons of instances where they try to slow people down to 35MPH on county roads for no good reason and people ignore the speed limits and go around 50. Low speed limits are really no safer in daylight conditions with snow free roads. Sometimes neighborhood residents get them implemented to reduce noise as well... don't move so close to a major commuting artery and you wouldn't have a problem. They could also address the issue of loud motorcycle and aftermarket exhausts which I personally think should be banned (probably not a popular opinion)
I drove through SD once on I-80. Hardly any bill boards or scenery other than rolling green hills and a few wind breaks here and there. All I really remember is spending several hours headed directly into the sun on the horizon over the road. It couldnt have been positioned any better if engineers had done that on purpose, lol. Its very hypnotic, and you can hit 85 without even being aware you are driving that fast. I think its good for travellers and truckers. I dont recall I80 in SD being heavily congested.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:41 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
The bill also included some much needed transportation funding for this state. The speed limit was just icing on the cake since most people go that fast anyways. The average speed during non rush hour is probably around 82, rush hour around 87. For those who have never traveled the great plains you could go 100 mph on these interstates and still be less stressed and safer than many areas. Traffic density is low, roads are pretty straight, visibility ranges from 1 to 35 miles depending on location.
1) I've travelled the Great Plains
2) You don't need to have travelled the Great Plains to understand whether or not they freeways there are safer or more dangerous than elsewhere - it's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of hard (and published) facts.

The flat, wide-open roads of the west are among the most dangerous roads - ie, they have among the statistically the highest fatality rates.

America's Deadliest Driving Counties & States

And, yeah, those higher fatality rates largely correlate with higher speed limits.

Now, don't get me wrong - I have no problem with what South Dakota is doing. Next time I go to the Black Hills I can clip along at 70mph in the right lane, and it does not bother me if someone thinks they desperately need to get to Rapid City half an hour earlier than me.

But just because someone doesn't bother me doesn't mean I'm going to suggest it doesn't come with the consequences that demonstrably accompany it. Mainly, I'm fine with it because in freeway situations the main victims of excessive speed are those driving at excessive speeds, not innocent bystanders - and I'm fine with people paying for their own actions.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:12 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
1) I've travelled the Great Plains
2) You don't need to have travelled the Great Plains to understand whether or not they freeways there are safer or more dangerous than elsewhere - it's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of hard (and published) facts.

The flat, wide-open roads of the west are among the most dangerous roads - ie, they have among the statistically the highest fatality rates.

America's Deadliest Driving Counties & States

And, yeah, those higher fatality rates largely correlate with higher speed limits.

Now, don't get me wrong - I have no problem with what South Dakota is doing. Next time I go to the Black Hills I can clip along at 70mph in the right lane, and it does not bother me if someone thinks they desperately need to get to Rapid City half an hour earlier than me.

But just because someone doesn't bother me doesn't mean I'm going to suggest it doesn't come with the consequences that demonstrably accompany it. Mainly, I'm fine with it because in freeway situations the main victims of excessive speed are those driving at excessive speeds, not innocent bystanders - and I'm fine with people paying for their own actions.
The reason that wide-open roads of the west are the most dangerous is because drivers get bored and inattentive. There is plenty of evidence that increasing the speed limit does not increase fatal accidents, and in some cases actually lowers them. Case in point, most recently Utah, before that Montana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events