Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:36 AM

399 posts, read 685,892 times

Advertisements

This is just an example of how the stigma of mental illness from society can affect EVERYONE. People with mental illness/depression often hide it from others because of the way many people will judge them.

There are many famous and not famous people with mental illness that have contributed so much to society. Abraham Lincoln, Earnest Hemingway, Winston Churchill,Charles Dickens, Beethoven...

and yet so many of us jump to judge someone as crazy.

If we could accept, respect and reach out- now that would be productive.

We are all can contribute to or prevent these occurances!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 08:38 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,479,600 times
Oh, great. Now it's OUR fault the plane went down?

Old 03-27-2015, 08:42 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,835,361 times
He had more than depression...he had Muslimitis. GERMAN NEWS REPORT: Co-Pilot of Germanwings Airbus Was MUSLIM CONVERT …’Hero of Islamic State’? | The Gateway Pundit

Old 03-27-2015, 08:44 AM

399 posts, read 685,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post

Interesting. I hadn't heard this. I'm sure we will be learning more as the investigation progresses.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:05 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,219,155 times
Default Full of hot air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
This might be true, but I haven't found one German news outlet that says this. I've seen some suspicious rag type reports who've picked up this story though. I'll believe when the BBC says it.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:54 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,001,992 times
Yes..mental illness DOES have stigma attached....and we all think that is a bad thing...but when a persons mental state causes murderous homicide, then we need to reveal it. We shouldn't romanticize depression...it's awful..and usually it only affects the person suffering with it (and their immediate family or loved ones...bad enough!) But if it is bad enough to cause someone to randomly kill others....then we need to take a deeper look at this...
This is a VERY "slippery slope"...very innocent folks with depression can be keel-hauled in the name of public safety. That would NOT be good.

I don't know the solution...I just know this is a big tragedy...and I feel for the families left behind. I'm not sure there's any way to prevent something like this from happening...

Old 03-27-2015, 08:16 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,690,264 times
Depression alone doesn't cause you to want to go out and kill people otherwise very few of us would survive our normal morning commute's. Depressed people will hurt themselves mostly if anything, for what this guy's actions required I think there was a much deeper, darker psychosis.

A lot of times these mass murdering types are depressed individuals but that doesn't mean that depression leads to their actions, I think that depression is usually only a symptom of a much worse, deep-seated problem and it doesn't seem to take much to push these people over the edge.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:17 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,690,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Yes..mental illness DOES have stigma attached....and we all think that is a bad thing...but when a persons mental state causes murderous homicide, then we need to reveal it. We shouldn't romanticize depression...it's awful..and usually it only affects the person suffering with it (and their immediate family or loved ones...bad enough!) But if it is bad enough to cause someone to randomly kill others....then we need to take a deeper look at this...
This is a VERY "slippery slope"...very innocent folks with depression can be keel-hauled in the name of public safety. That would NOT be good.

I don't know the solution...I just know this is a big tragedy...and I feel for the families left behind. I'm not sure there's any way to prevent something like this from happening...

Keep 2 people in the cockpit at all times like U.S. airlines require. It shouldn't have taken a tragedy of this magnitude to get several of these Euro airlines to enact what is a very prudent, rational policy.

It's not perfect assurance of course, but far better than leaving anyone in a cockpit all alone for any reason.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:20 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,283,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post

Who is "romanticizing depression?" It's one of the most serious neurological disorders you can have and affects everyone around you. This being a most extreme example of that.

I don't think the OP is suggesting "lock up depressed people," more like start realizing that this is a real disease. Don't ignore it in other people. It's a serious illness and thus should be treated as one.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:31 AM

18,532 posts, read 18,768,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeach View Post
This is just an example of how the stigma of mental illness from society can affect EVERYONE. People with mental illness/depression often hide it from others because of the way many people will judge them.

There are many famous and not famous people with mental illness that have contributed so much to society. Abraham Lincoln, Earnest Hemingway, Winston Churchill,Charles Dickens, Beethoven...

and yet so many of us jump to judge someone as crazy.

If we could accept, respect and reach out- now that would be productive.

We are all can contribute to or prevent these occurances!
It doies carry a stigma but for gods sake if it was some mental illness couldnt he have done it only to himself.. I never understand this mass assassination before somrone kills themselves..the ones who shoot up a school of chlldren before killing themselves or the estranged father who kills his kids then hiimself..............selfish and cruel.. sorry but the way I see it ,just how many broken hearts has this man left..and to me yes he was crazy, big time..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events