Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 01:40 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
So wait ... it's a ban on a ban? How long before they ban the banning of banning bans?

(Wow... that makes my head hurt)
I thought the same thing. hahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 02:18 PM

309 posts, read 257,985 times
Just one question: what is wrong with using canvas bags for groceries? Simply take a couple with you each time you go shopping, and no need to multiply the plastic.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:09 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegendesLicht View Post
Just one question: what is wrong with using canvas bags for groceries? Simply take a couple with you each time you go shopping, and no need to multiply the plastic.
Because the plastic shopping bag is the Arizona State Bird. You see them in all the trees, hanging on the cacti, and gliding along the highways. It's state pride, baby!

It used to be more specific; the bird was the blue Walmart bag, but then Walmart changed their bags to white.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:26 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegendesLicht View Post
Nothing that I can think of offhand. Why? Is someone proposing a law that would make it illegal to do so? If so then I will gladly join you in opposing it.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:28 PM

518 posts, read 871,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Because the plastic shopping bag is the Arizona State Bird. You see them in all the trees, hanging on the cacti, and gliding along the highways. It's state pride, baby!

It used to be more specific; the bird was the blue Walmart bag, but then Walmart changed their bags to white.
lol

Old 04-08-2015, 07:37 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I thought the same thing. hahaha
At least you read it. At first glance I thought AZ. Was banning bean bags!

Old 04-08-2015, 08:13 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
I get what you're saying, but I was under the assumption that conservatives (again a generalization) prefer local governments over state. The disdain for federal government initiatives is fairly obvious.

I don't see how a state preventing cities from banning anything keeps government small. Basically it says that people at the state government can serve as a nanny over the wishes of people at the smallest levels of government. If that's the government being proactive, no thanks.

Have you any idea of what you are rambling on about?

Old 04-08-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Not necessarily, maybe the people that live where the ban was imposed went to their state reps and petitioned them to enact legislation banning the local law.

Why does everything have to come down to "BIG OIL"?

People are tired of "Little Oil"?

Old 04-08-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
I think the part about being Federalists was the part I was missing. Thanks for the clarification!

I totally get wanting to go to a state if a local govt enacts something enough people at the municipal level find absurd. I'm just not sure I like this idea of preemptively banning a ban.

No one is banning a ban. The legislature would revoke or repeal whatever law was passed which gave retailers an incentive to charge for plastic bags rather than give them away - paper or plastic?...ever heard the term?

Someone got paid to pass the initial legislature and a bunch of green weenies probably sang folk songs late into the night in celebration thinking they had won some victory.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
California has been squawking about implementing a statewide ban on plastic bags.

In My Fair City and County, a ban was implemented over the protests of the people and even of some local politicians, who pointed out that numerous studies had been done showing there's no appreciable increase in litter from discarded plastic bags and doesn't harm stream or groundwater.

Nevertheless, the ban went through, with the flimsiest of rationales.

Even Portlandia, where you'd think hipsters would be all over the plastic bag ban, allows plastic bags.

But back to the state level. I believe TPTB in Sacramento are trying to shake down the bag manufacturers. California, with its enormous population, must be a big share of their business. Democrats and unions control everything in this state. If they wanted plastic bags gone, they'd make it happen.

Arizona is reinforcing its reputation as a business-friendly state. Well done AZ, say I.

That's because "Portlandia" is a statue and a TV show not an actual place where people live so obviously it is not a place where you would find supermarkets with plastic bags. However in the city of Portland, plastic bags were banned in 2011.

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/article/402484

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/article/422527

It's ridiculous and hypocritical when you see more harmful pollutants like disposable diapers still being sold. These are far worse polluters than plastic bags which in themselves are harmless if they are taken care of properly after being used.

Last edited by Minervah; 04-08-2015 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: added links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events