Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 07:02 PM

5,793 posts, read 5,116,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Seriously?

There are at least, by my count, 14 distinct breeds of dogs that have originated in China. The Chow Chow, along with the Shar Pei, are considered as being two of the oldest dog breeds in the world tracing their origins as far back as 150 BC. It should also be noted that the number of small breed dogs originally from China hasten to point out that most Chinese breeds like the Shih Tzu, the Pug and the Pekingese were specifically bred to be companion dogs of Chinese royalty and appear in ancient Chinese art work, so to day that the Chinese do not have an "evolved awareness of animals as companions has to be considered an ill-informed example of western chauvinism. So regarding the topic at hand, what is more evolved, rendering euthanized animals into food or just euthanizing animals and throwing them in the dump?
No, you are misinformed. Please note that these breeds that you referenced are for royalty, and royalty only. They were not meant as food, but playthings of the powerful and the high bred. The monks also had the privilege to keep some of the breeds. Common people never saw these dogs that you mentioned. Their dog, the common "yellow dogs" are nothing more than useful animals that would eventually be eaten. You cannot regard the lifestyle of the Chinese dynastic rulers as the same as the commoners. In fact, it was against imperial rule to own many of those dogs you listed...The eunuchs under the direction of the imperial authority were the ones who developed the pekingnese and the shih tzu, for example.

The common Chinese people regard for dogs as food make perfect sense in their context, though it is revolting for most of us. As China grows more affluent, dogs and cats are steadily becoming companions and members of the family instead of food. China is changing very rapidly, but there are still many folks in China who do not have an awareness of animals as anything more than "useful" things.

The Chow is famous as a hunting dog that would eventually be stew meat....there are many poems written by famous poets throughout Chinese history that specifically reference the delicacy of dog meat and ways to cook it.

Last edited by pennyone; 04-22-2015 at 07:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 07:32 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,335,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
As for these poor Tibetan Mastiffs, an even worse fate could await them--they're running out of cats and dogs in China. If you know what I mean.
Unfortunately I do know what you meant. Dead is dead, and what happens to the carcass is pretty much irrelevant so why the wink, wink, dog eating Chinese allusion is necessary is well pretty racist when you consider that here in the U.S. we euthanize 3-4 million cats and dogs each year. We also put down 90,000 to 140,000 horse and while we no longer slaughter horses, horse meat is a staple in Germany, Belgium and Switzerland. So I really don't get what where the high and mighty attitude comes from regarding the Chinese.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:21 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,847,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Unfortunately I do know what you meant. Dead is dead, and what happens to the carcass is pretty much irrelevant so why the wink, wink, dog eating Chinese allusion is necessary is well pretty racist when you consider that here in the U.S. we euthanize 3-4 million cats and dogs each year. We also put down 90,000 to 140,000 horse and while we no longer slaughter horses, horse meat is a staple in Germany, Belgium and Switzerland. So I really don't get what where the high and mighty attitude comes from regarding the Chinese.

Your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired.

The "wink, wink...." is in your mind. And the "fate" I was referring to wasn't eating them after they're euthanized, but killing them for food because that's what they do in China.

You might also be interested to know that the newest delicacy in Vietnam is cat--they're swiped off the street or "catnapped," and killed to be served up as baby tiger.

Delude yourself into thinking that the peons you float above aren't aware that some people will eat anything. But don't for a minute think that we're going to sanction the harvesting and eating of cats and dogs in this country under the banner of cultural diversity, because that's never going to happen.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,037,719 times
Quote:

The "wink, wink...." is in your mind. And the "fate" I was referring to wasn't eating them after they're euthanized, but killing them for food because that's what they do in China.

You might also be interested to know that the newest delicacy in Vietnam is cat--they're swiped off the street or "catnapped," and killed to be served up as baby tiger.

Delude yourself into thinking that the peons you float above aren't aware that some people will eat anything. But don't for a minute think that we're going to sanction the harvesting and eating of cats and dogs in this country under the banner of cultural diversity, because that's never going to happen.
Don't forget using 'em as clothing items and faux leather as well. That Chinese "leather" couch someone is sitting on could well be fido's last command to sit and stay.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:27 PM

593 posts, read 669,139 times
Who cares if they kill them and make food/goods out of it, how is that any worse than killing and cremating it? The fact of the matter is its an animal, look what we do to cows, chickens, pigs, ect on a daily basis here. Just because we don't eat dog meat or use dog parts for production of goods in the U.S. doesn't mean its wrong. Its simply a difference in culture, I am sure there are things we do in America to some animals that the Chinese disagree with.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:40 AM

922 posts, read 807,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
the Chinese have a non-western way of looking at animals for the most part. they see a food resource, not a companion animal.
I am Chinese and many Chinese people have dogs as pets and they are doted on like children. If you don't live in China then don't talk out of your @ss.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
I am Chinese and many Chinese people have dogs as pets and they are doted on like children. If you don't live in China then don't talk out of your @ss.
This is the part of Chinese culture that I absolutely hate. The Chinese fascination with eating everything available, due in part to their traditional medicinal tradiution, is destroying many species of animals around the world. And of course, the cruelty against dogs and cats is just unacceptable. Sure American Agro-businesses practice large scale and very cruel handling practices against food animals like chicken, pigs and cattle. But dogs and cats are too close to us humans for comfort. The US has laws against slaughtering horses (though many are shipped to Mexico and Canada to be killed).

The Yulin dog meat festivals in the video below is just one of many in China. It's a shame that Chinese authorities cannot shut down this thing, given that so many dogs killed were suspected of being stolen pets and were kept in such awful, cruel and unsanitary conditions before they were slaughtered. It makes China out to be such an uncivilized place, but these festival supporters insist on these festivals are a point of cultural pride. There is nothing worth being proud about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcEIV6G4arg

Old 04-24-2015, 08:23 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,724,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Is this really any different than what happens in this country? Didn't dalmatians become the rage after the 101 Dalmatians movie? Taco Bell made everyone want a chihuahua. Marley and me had it's dog. The puppies are oh so cute until no one takes care of them and don't train them. Then they get dumped or sent to shelters. Shelter euthanization is basically the same as killing them for food.
This, exactly.

It's no better in any other part of the world for breeds popularized by movies or TV.
I read an article yesterday about a similar issue in New Zealand with Siberian Huskies and Alaskan Malamutes as a result of "Game of Thrones" and other movies. (link below)

People are thoughtless and inconsiderate all over the world.

Why are huskies the most rehomed dog in New Zealand? | Stuff.co.nz

Old 04-24-2015, 08:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,037,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
This, exactly.

It's no better in any other part of the world for breeds popularized by movies or TV.
I read an article yesterday about a similar issue in New Zealand with Siberian Huskies and Alaskan Malamutes as a result of "Game of Thrones" and other movies. (link below)

People are thoughtless and inconsiderate all over the world.

Why are huskies the most rehomed dog in New Zealand? | Stuff.co.nz
You have a valid point. What constantly enrages me is the existence of puppy mills and designer dogs along with those that support them.
This is not just a China problem but it seems a problem that occurs world wide. We only have control over what happens in our sphere of influence (city/county/state/country) and should be concerned about and not support the "designer" pet puppy mills here.
Here in AZ there is a severe over abundance of Chihuahua's and Pit Bulls with MinPins on the rise. Shelters are full and in some cities packs run the streets.
I've got neighbors that have 4-5 of these mini noise makers and for the life of me can't understand why and cringe when I hear from other neighbors "well I just saw the cutest <insert mini dog here> for sale in the back of this pickup down on the corner lot and just have to have it. Fast forward a few months and they're looking to give it away on the local swap page as it takes up too much time, doesn't like their kids or ???.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:

Yup....the vietnamese love their kitties. Here is a Chinese report on this delicacy in Vietnam

̽·ÃÔ½ÄÏÖØ¿ÚζµÄèÈâ²ÍÌü ¡°ÀÏ»¢±¦±¦¡±ÃÀʳ -6park.com

Absolutely disgusting and barbaric, not to say anything about the sanitation issues. So Third World...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events