Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:36 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times

Advertisements

Unarmed Frank Ernest Shepherd shot dead by Texas police on live TV after chase | Daily Mail Online

Pretty sure they could have taken him alive, but, what do i know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 07:46 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
I know I'll catch a lot of flack for this, but it's my opinion that the police should actually wait until they see a weapon or it's fired (assuming a gun) before they start shooting at people. Yes, I realize that this puts them at a disadvantage. And what if there were a child in the car? Collateral damage?

Old 04-15-2015, 07:54 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Don't lead police on a high speed chase, crash head first into another car, get out of your own car and dive for something in hidden in the back seat. If you do, expect to get shot. Good police work here.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:57 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Um...obey the police. I know that doesn't excuse the police, but you won't get shot if you comply. They might actually give you a break. I have been given a lot of leeway because I wasn't an ******* to the police.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:57 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
If the cops have to wait until perps fire bullets at them then we'll just have more dead cops and possibly more killers on the loose. The cops did the right thing. This guy put a lot of people's lives in jeopardy, didn't comply with the officers' orders and was reaching into the vehicle. This guy did everything wrong and he got killed for it.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Don't lead police on a high speed chase, crash head first into another car, get out of your own car and dive for something in hidden in the back seat. If you do, expect to get shot. Good police work here.
So if a relative or friend of yours was shot by a stray bullet would you have said "good job police"?

its never a "good job" when you're spraying bullets everywhere and there's what, half a dozen cops unloading all their bullets at this guy? A "good job" would have been to let the guy get out of the car and see if he had a gun in his hand...if he did, than you unload...no real need to unload before you see the gun.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
If the cops have to wait until perps fire bullets at them then we'll just have more dead cops and possibly more killers on the loose. The cops did the right thing. This guy put a lot of people's lives in jeopardy, didn't comply with the officers' orders and was reaching into the vehicle. This guy did everything wrong and he got killed for it.
There were a LOT of cops there, this guy had zero chance to get "on the loose" he wasn't getting away under any circumstances so your killer on the loose theory holds no water. As far as lives in jeopardy, the jeopardy part happened because the cops were chasing him, the jeopardy part had already happened. The cars were in a resting position, they had "caught their man".

I'm not sure from watching the video why cops were rushing TOWARDS this guy, once you rush towards him you put yourself in a position to have to shoot for the most part...if you stay back and watch what happens, you could give the guy an opportunity to get out of the car, who's to say this guy wasn't getting out of the car to put his hands in the air? They never gave him that chance.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:14 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
There were a LOT of cops there, this guy had zero chance to get "on the loose" he wasn't getting away under any circumstances so your killer on the loose theory holds no water.
I didn't say anything about this guy getting away. I said that if the cops have to wait for perps to shoot at them before they can shoot back we'll see a lot more dead cops and probably more murderers on the loose. If there's just one cop and a perp shoots him because the cop can't shoot him first then he's free to flee.

Quote:
As far as lives in jeopardy, the jeopardy part happened because the cops were chasing him, the jeopardy part had already happened. The cars were in a resting position, they had "caught their man".
They had a man reaching into the car and ignoring their orders. The situation was not over.

Quote:
I'm not sure from watching the video why cops were rushing TOWARDS this guy, once you rush towards him you put yourself in a position to have to shoot for the most part...if you stay back and watch what happens, you could give the guy an opportunity to get out of the car, who's to say this guy wasn't getting out of the car to put his hands in the air? They never gave him that chance.
If the man had obeyed the officers then he wouldn't have been shot. He was shot because he was reaching into the vehicle and grabbing for something instead of getting on the ground and complying. He got himself killed. The cops aren't supposed to **** around. This guy was dangerous and it could have been anything in that car. They were absolutely right to shoot him. Hindsight is 20/20 but until you invent a time machine the cops did everything right and the nothing changes that.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:16 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
So, not only did the cops not 'bother' to try to take him alive, they apparently could have cared less about the child that could have been in the car. More gun happy and sloppy police work.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:28 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Quote:
So if a relative or friend of yours was shot by a stray bullet would you have said "good job police"?

its never a "good job" when you're spraying bullets everywhere and there's what, half a dozen cops unloading all their bullets at this guy? A "good job" would have been to let the guy get out of the car and see if he had a gun in his hand...if he did, than you unload...no real need to unload before you see the gun.
Why not join the police force and show all the cops how to do things better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events