Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 11:34 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,045 times

Advertisements

'Hunger Games' Rue Calls Out Taylor Swift, More For Cultural Appropriation - MTV

She's right. America loves black culture but hates black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 11:40 PM

67 posts, read 88,806 times
What if black women not try so hard to look like white women and allow their hair to be curly instead of wearing weaves or using chemicals to straighten it out. See blacks try to be white as well.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:43 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,122,865 times
Whoever this person is, she should try telling "black people" to lower their crime and illegitimacy rates, and increase their high school and college graduation rates along with workforce participation, and that will make people like them more.

It is the constant, incessant drum beat of excuses, non-sequiturs and canards put forth by blacks that keep them down. 150 years after slavery, 50 years after Jim Crow, they score worse on English tests as a group than ESL students (google it yourself, it is true). They have fallen behind the Hispanics and Asians who come here with only the shirts on their backs and, and that is with the advantages of affirmative action, hate crimes legislation, public housing, EBT cards, AFDC, rule of law, free education, Obamacare, Obamphones, white guilt and a thousand others. But instead of owning up to it and realizing that they have to change themselves and their communities, they would rather complain and talk nonsense.

By the way, someone please tell this Rue person that a lot of us hate Hip Hop music, and it is in drastic decline. Never mind that it is overwhelmingly infantile and violent, I find it insulting that it is sold as an art form when some guy talks through a "song" and rips off a real artist's music for the chorus. I remember at some point there was a court decision that allowed for "sampling;" for anyone else this would have been a simple copyright violation issue, but since it involved an "art form" from the black community, it became yet another give away. Justice warped again because of racial animus.

But whatever. Keep complaining, and in another 50 years...another 150 years when blacks are still in last place with a bullet because they just cannot own up to the pathologies in their own communities, pathologies that they have created not as a legacy of slavery but through misuse of freedom, I will be dead anyway. But be warned, this is increasingly a mixed race country, and the mixed whites-Asians-Hispanics who inherit the country are NOT going to put up with the shenanigans out of white guilt, since they will remember how much harder their own ancestors really had it.

Peace.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:53 AM

844 posts, read 1,064,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA1 View Post
What if black women not try so hard to look like white women and allow their hair to be curly instead of wearing weaves or using chemicals to straighten it out. See blacks try to be white as well.
Straight and/or wavy hair is not exclusive of Caucasians. I get the point you were trying to make but your example was a poor one.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:41 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,104,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
'Hunger Games' Rue Calls Out Taylor Swift, More For Cultural Appropriation - MTV

She's right. America loves black culture but hates black people.
Speak for yourself.

I can't think of a single thing that I would deem as "black culture" that I like. "Donk" cars? No thank you. Wearing my pants down around my knees? Uh, not quite. Rap music? Nope.

Now, I do like hip hop... from the 80's/90's, anyway. I also liked the Cosby show (which really has nothing to do with black culture either.) Used to watch "In Living Color" and thought it was great. But blacks can't claim comedy as "black" culture. Funny is funny.

I think Rue has it all wrong. Most artists who are successful become so because their music is enjoyed by fans of MANY cultures.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:03 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Taylor swift has a lot of country influence, or in hip hop jargon a lot of country sampling. Sampling is basically what hip hop is about and it often samples from white music like rock and roll. That all goes back to jazz. White jazz like big band or Chicago school ain't nothing new. Jazz itself originates from a fusion of African music with Western classical. So basically the entire thing is black Americans fusing white culture with African culture which then becomes mainstream American culture. Whites have been spinning off jazz and blues for more than a century. I don't really see how that's a bad thing. And if for whatever reason you think it is, I don't really see how you can view jazz or hip hop as anything but a bad thing same they're all one in the same.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:56 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,149,646 times
As someone who pursued Art in my youth, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." This is one of my favorite Country/Rap fusions - appropriate for the season, but hardly appropriation. Colt Ford, Nappy Roots and Nic Cowan - waste some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6wD4mfzDAQ#t=75

Slide to 1:05 to miss the rather boring 1st minute or so.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:57 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Speak for yourself.

I can't think of a single thing that I would deem as "black culture" that I like. "Donk" cars? No thank you. Wearing my pants down around my knees? Uh, not quite. Rap music? Nope.

Now, I do like hip hop... from the 80's/90's, anyway. I also liked the Cosby show (which really has nothing to do with black culture either.) Used to watch "In Living Color" and thought it was great. But blacks can't claim comedy as "black" culture. Funny is funny.

I think Rue has it all wrong. Most artists who are successful become so because their music is enjoyed by fans of MANY cultures.
A large part of the music I like is definitely rooted in black culture...

Old school rap, blues, call and response music and spirituals (says the agnostic).

Old 04-18-2015, 08:35 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,878,541 times
Well that's just stupid. Anyway, she got her name out there which is what her manager and publicist wanted.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:53 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA1 View Post
Black women were wearing wigs and enhancing their appearance before they knew what a white woman was. @learn_your_history.com & @get_over_yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events