Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 10:37 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Yep. That's me. Just kidding. I was using sarcastic humor in my examples. Returning shoplifted junk to Wal-Mart was a topic of discussion in one of my business classes in college. There are people who steal or shoplift and return it to Wal-Mart. The junk didn't even have to come from Wal-Mart originally. The brand just needed to be sold there. It's part of the no hassle return policy. Other stores have a hard time competing with that.
Maybe things have changed because the last time I went to Walmart was to return a bike seat that I had bought just one day prior with my credit card. I did not have the receipt and it was a major hassle. The "customer service" rep would not allow me to return it even for store credit because I didn't have the receipt. She claimed that there was no way for them to look up the transaction that I had paid for with my credit card. She was not willing to help me at all. I asked to speak to a manager and he begrudgingly looked up the transaction and they gave me a cash refund. I told the manager that the rep had said that there was no way to look up the transaction. He basically told me that that is what they are supposed to say and that only when a customer requests a manager will they look it up. It was clear that both the "Customer service" rep and the manager hated their jobs by their apathetic attitudes about the situation. I haven't been the Walmart since. Prior to that I would shop there once every two years or so. It was always an unpleasant experience due to both customers and workers. I don't plan on ever going back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 10:43 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
I think it depends on the "quality" of your Walmart. I know I said quality let me explain.

The part of Denver Metro I lived in it was brand new when we moved there it was clean, our neighborhood was awesome so there was little white trash. I had cute girl scouts selling cookies not methead panhandlers.

No losers like Cottonwood AZ.

I go to Walmart in Irvine and HB, once in a awhile.

Do I go in Santa Ana hell no it's a nasty dump where people ding others cars with no care and the security guard mad dogs everyone looking for shoplifters, gross.

Know your Walmart, know your POW

Old 04-21-2015, 10:50 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I think it depends on the "quality" of your Walmart. I know I said quality let me explain.

The part of Denver Metro I lived in it was brand new when we moved there it was clean, our neighborhood was awesome so there was little white trash. I had cute girl scouts selling cookies not methead panhandlers.

Do I go in Santa Ana hell no it's a nasty dump where people ding others cars with no care and the security guard mad dogs everyone looking for shoplifters, gross.

This is true. I have been to Walmart's in small towns that were actually pretty nice. Walmart in the city is another story; some our downright scary.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:56 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Yep. That's me. Just kidding. I was using sarcastic humor in my examples. Returning shoplifted junk to Wal-Mart was a topic of discussion in one of my business classes in college. There are people who steal or shoplift and return it to Wal-Mart. The junk didn't even have to come from Wal-Mart originally. The brand just needed to be sold there. It's part of the no hassle return policy. Other stores have a hard time competing with that.
I know people have been caught doing that at my local Wal-Mart and they were arrested before leaving the parking lot. Wal-Mart has the money and resources to profile every shopper walking through the door. I doubt they're giving that much money away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post

The WalMarts I've been to in Western Pennsylvania are all clean, the workers are friendly and helpful, and people don't leave their carts scattered around the parking lot. They are the equals to any grocery chain in the area. I went to Tampa and it was the total opposite. I've also heard negative things about WalMarts on Long Island.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:07 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,937,272 times
Let's get the facts straight people.. Walmart nor any other business encourages their employees to get welfare or food stamps or other things because they can't afford health insurance...

And if you want to NOT shop at stores that use products from China or Cuba or wherever and have caused companies to lower their prices, then you would stop shopping at about 75% of the stores in America...

I love whenever someone hates Walmart everything that is wrong with the economy or this country stems from Walmart being in operation...

And while people think Walmart caused companies to lower their wages and it was disastrous, why not think about the Unions and their high wages for causing companies pain and agony.... If I have a business and the local Union held hostage company charges more than I can really afford, of course I am going somewhere else to get my product even if it is overseas...

So while you may not want to shop at Walmart there are literally millions of people who do and see nothing wrong with it.... So please keep shopping elsewhere and I will continue to shop at Walmart....

Old 04-21-2015, 11:22 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Walmart is a last resort for me, its not the company its the customers. Granted the big selection and low prices attract such customers but its also a convenience factor. Id gladly pay more at a mom and pop store but they don't always have what I need. I would love to see more American made products but it seems far and few these days. Even American cars are produced overseas and foreign ones are made right here in America. Id love to see steep taxes on trade to lessen the number of imported products here in America. Here we have a country that complains about the economy, etc...yet we do it to ourselves...we allow the competition to take over our country. Its all about greed.
But how do you define 'imported'?

If you watch Shark Tank, you'll notice a lot of small companies outsource the components and do assembly at home. They can claim made in the USA, since the pieces got done that way. But the overall process is a hybred import/local system. And they outsource to China since if they did all of it at home the cost would shut out a lot of potential customers.

If you add those taxes, you're going to simply burden all those people who now can't *afford* the product and are not going to be buying it anymore. So the company doesn't sell as many and may go under. How does that solve a problem?

Back when everything was made here, some of it was with cheaply paid labor. Now they go overseas to find that part of the equation. Part of the process is the making of the pieces, and if you make that more expensive it means you'll end up with a product which a lot of people can't afford.

Think of it this way. You have a 3 year old. The dress you buy won't fit in six months. You have one which costs about six months worth of wear. And then you have one which is better made and will end up in the used clothes bag in six months, but costs three times as much. Your income is limited and you'll need another dress when that one won't fit. So which do you buy?

Once upon a time, you had to get the expensive one, and passed it on to the next kid. That isn't how things get done now.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:24 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Walmart at best a few pennies cheaper than Target or any other market.

Product selection is pretty bad. Look at their produce selection, it's not even close to my local super market and ain't cheap either.

About the only thing cheap is the motor oil and some home furnishings that are throw away stuff.

Horrible toys selection, my daughter prefers Target.

Every time I go there I snap pictures of some very awkward looking people shop there.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:38 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Walmart at best a few pennies cheaper than Target or any other market.

Product selection is pretty bad. Look at their produce selection, it's not even close to my local super market and ain't cheap either.

About the only thing cheap is the motor oil and some home furnishings that are throw away stuff.

Horrible toys selection, my daughter prefers Target.

Every time I go there I snap pictures of some very awkward looking people shop there.

I agree... Once I was in there for a particular item, and decided that while in there, I'd go find some of the peppers I'd normally get at Publix or any other supermarket. Their selection was VERY LIMITED and expensive.
I guess they have cheap canned and packaged goods (?). But I don't buy that stuff too often, as my grocery list mostly consists of fresh produce and fresh meats/fish.

Their motor oil prices are unbeatable, though. <$30 for a 5qt name-brand synthetic jug?

Old 04-21-2015, 11:42 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Walmart certainly has the best prices on cereal. You can get a huge box of Cheerios or Special K for the same price as a small box at a regular grocery store.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:47 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Walmart certainly has the best prices on cereal. You can get a huge box of Cheerios or Special K for the same price as a small box at a regular grocery store.
...Or you can just go to BJ's or Costco and buy them in bulk with the coupon book and pay considerably less... OR (seeing as you're in Florida (?)), buy them when Publix has them on BOGO, where every week a different type or brand of cereal is a featured BOGO item...

I guess it just depends on your shopping habits, patterns and preferences.
If you like to keep it simple and shop at one place for most/all of your stuff, then sure, Wal-Mart is cool.

Personally, I have a list of stores I go to for different things, from my favorite meat market, to a small store where I can get wild-caught fish, to a small Caribbean store where I can get rare produce items, to the local mainstream supermarket, to BJ's where I can get anything else... I'm aware not everyone likes to bounce around like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events