Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 06:54 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Excuse me? I mentioned kids dying as a result of, among other things, wars, including drone attacks. "Just dying"? Really? "Killing a house pet for fun is so appalling because animals are innocent." Kids in Third World countries aren't? What the . . .

Yes, it sure does. The point is this. People purportedly value human life more than animals' life, as they should. Kids blown up, mangled, splattered and mutilated due to mortar attacks, drones, mines, IDEs, etc. (and in some cases, the perpetrators do gloat on social media, as you know) is hell of a lot worse than this poor cat's horrible situation. Unless you are an irrational cat lady with 17 cats in your house, I don't see how you can disagree. Some people would save their pets first from a burning building before their (or even someone else's) children. I love my cat, but wouldn't save her before I save human beings in that situation.

These types of comments validate my original post. SMH.

Mick

Just because someone has compassion for an animal does not mean they can't have the same compassion for children or people. What makes you think no one cares about dead or dying children? There are tons of agencies and laws to protect children and adults. How do you know children died in wars? Because obviously somebody cared enough to report it. But because there are people outraged over a dead cat, suddenly "no one cares"?

This thread just happens to be about a cat that died an agonizing and unnecessary death at the hands of someone who's career is supposed to be devoted to HELPING animals. If this were a case about a pediatrician who tortured and abused children, I guarantee there would be ten times the outrage as there is here. I don't get the kind of thinking that only allows you to care about one cause and one cause only.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:16 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,586,985 times
As more information comes out, it appears that the vet was in the wrong here.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:36 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,538,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
As more information comes out, it appears that the vet was in the wrong here.
huh. ya think?

Old 04-23-2015, 07:46 AM

430 posts, read 835,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I'm no attorney, but it seems to me that in order for this act to satisfy the elements of the offense, the prosecution will have to prove that she knew the cat had an owner, and then failed to seek the owner's permission before killing the cat.
No. I've been to law school (though am not a practicing attorney). Nowhere in the statute does it say anything about knowledge or intent of the cat's origin, only intent to kill or harm the animal that happens to be owned by someone.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:48 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Well, at least people in this part of the country don't generally go around killing their neighbor's pets.
I know. People in your part of the country go out and purchase their own pets to take home to kill.

Police: Oregon man bought puppy then killed it with kitchen knife | Local & Regional | Boise, Meridian, Nampa, Caldwell, Idaho News, Weather, Sports and Breaking News - KBOI 2

WILSONVILLE, Ore. -- A Wilsonville man bought a Border Collie puppy then hours later stabbed and killed it, sheriff’s deputies said Monday.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:50 AM

430 posts, read 835,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
People purportedly value human life more than animals' life, as they should. Kids blown up, mangled, splattered and mutilated due to mortar attacks, drones, mines, IDEs, etc.
Straw man argument. There are no drones in the article for us to care about. Also, as far as Americans dying of those things, they sign up for it. When did the cat sign up to go into battle?

Old 04-23-2015, 08:04 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,498 times
A licensed vet in Texas put down a cat with a bow and arrow.

Wow.

Seriously... How does a veterinarian start to believe this is acceptable on any level???

Old 04-23-2015, 08:06 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,943,945 times
The cat's hind leg is mangled which has led to the suspicion that it was caught in a trap before being shot. (Mother's FB comment said her daughter was "practicing"). The position of the cat when being held up has led many to feel the animal was still alive when the picture was shot. Once the DA goes forward with the indictment, all these gruesome horrors will be confirmed.

Citing other instances of animal cruelty do nothing to take away the sheer depravity of this vet's actions. It only confirms my belief that there are some very sick and evil individuals that are walking among us, and some have the gall to accuse those who value animal's lives as being the crazy ones.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:14 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoDog View Post
It wasn't a stray cat. It was a neighbor's domesticated pet.
articles say it was a feral cat, which is not a pet

I don't condone what this woman vet did....not in the least

however, what I detest is, cat owners who allow their cats to roam free....which isn't the cats fault

they are killing so many birds and wild animals....domestic cats kill so many wild animals...bunnies, birds, squirrels, chip monks, etc.

plus, I love to garden, and the thing I hate most is when I'm digging in my garden and there are presents in there....

I don't like cats, however, could never kill one....

Old 04-23-2015, 08:17 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
I'm not sure if anyone else has posted this, but here is a petition asking the board in Texas to revoke her license.

https://www.change.org/p/texas-state...share_petition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events