Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 02:14 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,160,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
A law can't be picked apart for someone's convenience.

It is illegal to kill feral animals. That is stated in this particular law. It is part of the law.
Which "kill" clause are you claiming that she violated: the "in a cruel manner kills" clause of (b)(1), or the "without the owner's effective consent, kills," clause of (b)(2)?

Old 04-27-2015, 02:47 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,160,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
That is a completely arbitrary definition. There is no logical basis to it. In some countries cows are companion animals and in some countries people frequently eat cat.
The event in question occurred in the United States, foreign customs don't apply here. And it is completely logical to not eat the animals you love, and to avoid becoming attached to animals that are raised for their meat.

Quote:
It isn't necessary to eat meat.
People don't eat because we need to, we eat meat because we want to.

Quote:
You know very well that the vast majority of animals eaten for food experience suffering during their lives and during their death. Death certainly isn't an instantaneous process.
You have obviously never raised livestock, or even visited a ranch, egg farm, or meat-packing plant. I have. Most people won't subject an animal to needless discomfort, pain or suffering, and nobody would eat meat that was produced by a company that they knew allowed the animals in its care to be subjected to such.

You should do some research on the USDA's requirements for humane and sanitary slaughterhouse operations here in the USA. The animal must be rendered "insensible to pain" or have "loss of consciousness."
https://awic.nal.usda.gov/government...-slaughter-act

"Federal law requires FSIS inspectors to be present at all times meat and poultry plants are operating. Among other requirements, an inspector must observe every live animal just before slaughter, both at rest and in motion"
http://assets.opencrs.com/rpts/RS22819_20080226.pdf

Old 04-27-2015, 03:29 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,147,805 times
Quote:
Both are done for ones own personal enjoyment. I don't see much of a difference. We aren't talking about survival here. People eat meat not because it is required for good health but because they like the way it tastes. It is cheaper to not eat meat, it is just as healthy, it is more efficient and it is better for the environment.
Something for one's enjoyment is a luxury. Food is not a luxury. Ive been vegetarian, and its not cheaper, lol. Ramen noodles are cheaper, but even they contain animal flavorings.

Can we get back on the topic of the psycho Vet who killed someone's pet for giggles and notariety on Facebook please?

Im sure you pro-vegan people are smart enough to find a current events article on the subject of eating meat and make a thread on the topic.

This thread isnt about killing for food. I would have felt better about the whole thing if this Vet had also posted a photo of her eating her neighbor's 'barbequed' cat. It wouldn't make her any less psycho in my mind, but at least she would have an excuse - she had no food, and the neighbor's cat was handy. That way, at least she wouldnt have been projecting the luxury of slaughtering a neighbor's pet for the sheer enjoyment of the experience.

Thanks.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:37 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Something for one's enjoyment is a luxury. Food is not a luxury. Ive been vegetarian, and its not cheaper, lol. Ramen noodles are cheaper, but even they contain animal flavorings.

Can we get back on the topic of the psycho Vet who killed someone's pet for giggles and notariety on Facebook please?

Im sure you pro-vegan people are smart enough to find a current events article on the subject of eating meat and make a thread on the topic.

This thread isnt about killing for food. I would have felt better about the whole thing if this Vet had also posted a photo of her eating her neighbor's 'barbequed' cat. It wouldn't make her any less psycho in my mind, but at least she would have an excuse - she had no food, and the neighbor's cat was handy. That way, at least she wouldnt have been projecting the luxury of slaughtering a neighbor's pet for the sheer enjoyment of the experience.

Thanks.
That would be lovely. I askedwhy nicely, maybe he'll listen to you. I doubt it though.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:55 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,519,045 times
Quote:
So feral cats and dogs are on the menu for you then?
I mean, we all get where you are coming from - but you must find other ways to try and bring people into the fold. You are just pushing them away.

I still eat fish and so am probably not pure enough for you but your smug attitude is doing more harm than good particularly in this thread.

Quote:
Before you freak out, think about what I said logically. Eating meat is unnecessary for good health. Meat production involves the killing animals. Therefore, when one eats meat, while part of modern society with choices, they are directly supporting the unnecessary killing of animals.
Baby steps. Baby Steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
My fiancee's boss is a Pescatarian, and he is ****ing weird. I hope you aren't weird.
You probably think all vegetarians are weird so . . what's the point. I still eat fish - if that makes me weird then so be it.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:57 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
If it was on his property I don't see the issue.
Guess you better start shooting every pedestrian that steps on your front lawn or gun down every car that turns around in your driveway....

Sheesh......

Old 04-27-2015, 10:22 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,832,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
She was not a socialized kitten. We needed oven mitts to bring her inside and heavy duty rubber gloves to bathe her. That pic was taken after she exhausted herself struggling and then was given kitten formula by a syringe so she had a full tummy. She fell asleep in my arms after a frightening day. We noticed her outside on the 4th of July with fireworks going off everywhere. She was terrified.

Fair enough, but you posted a very misleading pic to try to make a point.

A feral kitten may well be able to be rescued if caught at a young age. But a feral cat that's been living in the wild is and surviving on it's own is a very different beast. You're not going to be playing with it on the first day and maybe never depending on it's age and history etc.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:29 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
Guess you better start shooting every pedestrian that steps on your front lawn or gun down every car that turns around in your driveway....

Sheesh......
There is a difference between shooting a human and shooting an animal. BIG BIG difference. This sort of thing shouldn't need explaining. That it does is just ridiculous, and an indictment on our society in that we have perverted our thinking to get to where we put animals on the same plane of importance as humans when they don't belong anywhere near it.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:30 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Fair enough, but you posted a very misleading pic to try to make a point.

A feral kitten may well be able to be rescued if caught at a young age. But a feral cat that's been living in the wild is and surviving on it's own is a very different beast. You're not going to be playing with it on the first day and maybe never depending on it's age and history etc.
This wasn't feral though it belonged to an elderly neighbor, it got out accidentally

Old 04-27-2015, 11:24 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,943,945 times
It doesn't matter if the cat belonged to a neighbor or was feral. Both are protected under the law. In TX you may not kill either a pet or feral domestic animal unless you or your livestock is in danger of being harmed by it.

And for those who have such disdain for feral cats....they were probably once someone's pet, or their mother was. It was some thoughtless and cruel human who made them that way. All the more reason to pity them and do what you can to help them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events