Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 04:55 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
No, it is not considered humane for vets to 'put down' innocent and healthy shelter pets. Many shelter cats are not actually feral but stray, or relinquished family pets. They get killed due to lack of space in animal controls and kill "shelters"--not for kindness. And it is only because of the sheer volume of stupid people that there are space issues.

For ferals, it is far more humane to instigate a TNR program. If they are neutered/spayed, they cannot continue to breed and eventually the population will stabilize and decrease. However, individual areas have laws on whether feral cats populations are allowed or not.

The main reason that feral cats aren't safe on the streets are because of sociopaths like this vet. The vet (who swore to protect and help animals) who did not kill the animal to feed herself and did not kill it to protect herself, and didn't even kill it to test her skills as a hunter. She killed it because she is a sick person who ENJOYS KILLING THINGS.

Correct.

The point that people are having a hard time with is the glee that this individual seems to have derived from shooting and arrow through the head of an innocent animal.

Then, holding the poor dead cat up of Facebook, like a sociopathic 12 year old? Nice touch.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:33 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,181 times
My grandmother's brother (who is now deceased) got sick of his neighbor's cats taking dumps on his porch and sidewalk, so he put them all in a sack and beat them against the side of his house until they were dead. Then he deposited the sack with cat carcasses on his neighbor's doorstep.

Although uncomfortable to look at, an arrow to the head was an instant death for the cat. It's a lot more humane than what my grandmother's brother did.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:42 PM

615 posts, read 780,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Although uncomfortable to look at, an arrow to the head was an instant death for the cat. It's a lot more humane than what my grandmother's brother did.
You might want to look up the definition of humane. Killing a healthy domesticated cat with an arrow through the head certainly NOT humane.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:14 PM

396 posts, read 421,228 times
Quote:
got sick of his neighbor's cats taking dumps on his porch and sidewalk
Cats don't take dumps on porches and sidewalks. They may have gone to the bathroom around the porch...in the dirt. That I believe.

Granny's brother sounds like he and this Vet could have had some friends over for dinner with Chianti and fava beans. What a sick f*ck.

There is a distinct difference between killing something for food or defending your livestock and killing for fun. Do we really need to point this out? There is something distinctly wrong with a person taking joy in watching something die. And when that person is a vet, it's 100 times more disturbing.

I'm giving some serious side eye to people in this post who are all, "What's the big deal? There are starving kids in Africa ya know" Jesus, this post really brought out the stupid and the crazy in some of you.

But the rest of you normal folk who can see that a vet spearing a pet cat through the eye and then posting picture of it with a Kool Aid grin on Facebook, strong work. Thank God there are some normal people left in the world.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:20 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,491 times
Quote:
My grandmother's brother (who is now deceased) got sick of his neighbor's cats taking dumps on his porch and sidewalk, so he put them all in a sack and beat them against the side of his house until they were dead. Then he deposited the sack with cat carcasses on his neighbor's doorstep.

every farmer where I grew up had a story like this.

"Barn cat had a litter. Too many mouths to feed. Had to throw em in a sack and POUND THEM TO DEATH WITH SHOVEL. It was the only way."

Was always a bit terrifying. Really? That was the ONLY thing you could do?

Old 04-27-2015, 11:27 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post

And for those who have such disdain for feral cats....they were probably once someone's pet, or their mother was. It was some thoughtless and cruel human who made them that way. All the more reason to pity them and do what you can to help them.
This can't be overstated enough.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:38 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,484 times
Quote:

Correct. I frankly have no problem with what the grandmother's brother did, if he was indeed being bombarded with cats he didn't ask for and simply wanted to be left alone, and the owner did nothing to remedy the problem. If it takes killing a nuisance animal to regain the sanctity of your private property, then so be it.

Thanks, too, to whomever pointed out that animal shelters will eventually kill off unwanted pets when the population swells. That right there makes it irrelevant to be outraged over someone killing a nuisance pet/pest, animal shelters do it anyway if no one claims them. You're simply doing their job for them, at lower expense. That's how I see it.

And believe you me, when you live in tons of woods pretty much all to yourself, it's pretty easy to do this if you need to. There's a reason why it's called "shoot, shovel, and shut up."

If it sounds like I may have once did this, yet I indeed did, not to a cat but to a dog. It was a neighbor's 2 dogs, and they were pit bulls, and they did act as pit bulls are often-times assumed to act, very aggressive. They kept coming onto my property acting that way, scaring my children. I told him NUMEROUS TIMES that he needed to keep his dogs from coming onto my place. He didn't take me seriously. I started throwing firecrackers at them to scare them off, something which has worked on past stray animals (and which I'm totally willing to do vs shooting if it works), but they kept coming back. I asked him AGAIN and AGAIN to do something about it, and he did nothing. Thus, one day, when they showed up, I took one of them out (and the other flew off and never returned again), I solved the problem quickly and decisively.

Sorry, but law or no law, I'm not tolerating that situation. This is MY PROPERTY and I have the RIGHT for my yard to be safe for my children to play here vs letting it literally "go to the dogs." Heck, I think I'd had the right to do that even if it were simply a matter of that his dogs were getting into my trash or such. I have no interest in spending hours cleaning a yard and putting trash in a bag only to have dogs I didn't invite coming over here and undoing all of my work. That's completely unacceptable. I'm not doing it.

It was all because the neighbor wouldn't listen, which too often is how it goes. If you want to charge someone with animal cruelty, charge the OWNER, not the person protecting their property from the intrusion.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:40 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
And disregarding this anyway, the fact remains that both ANIMALS and humans were protected under the law in the state, so THEY do have equal importance in the legality of this matter.
Not true.

Under Texas law, animals are considered property (this is why it is necessary to secure the owner's permission to kill an animal). So, legally speaking, they are not on equal footing with humans.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:53 PM

121 posts, read 101,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
You might want to look up the definition of humane. Killing a healthy domesticated cat with an arrow through the head certainly NOT humane.
How can hunting of any kind be considered humane?

Old 04-27-2015, 11:58 PM

121 posts, read 101,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Correct. I frankly have no problem with what the grandmother's brother did, if he was indeed being bombarded with cats he didn't ask for and simply wanted to be left alone, and the owner did nothing to remedy the problem. If it takes killing a nuisance animal to regain the sanctity of your private property, then so be it.

Thanks, too, to whomever pointed out that animal shelters will eventually kill off unwanted pets when the population swells. That right there makes it irrelevant to be outraged over someone killing a nuisance pet/pest, animal shelters do it anyway if no one claims them. You're simply doing their job for them, at lower expense. That's how I see it.

And believe you me, when you live in tons of woods pretty much all to yourself, it's pretty easy to do this if you need to. There's a reason why it's called "shoot, shovel, and shut up."

If it sounds like I may have once did this, yet I indeed did, not to a cat but to a dog. It was a neighbor's 2 dogs, and they were pit bulls, and they did act as pit bulls are often-times assumed to act, very aggressive. They kept coming onto my property acting that way, scaring my children. I told him NUMEROUS TIMES that he needed to keep his dogs from coming onto my place. He didn't take me seriously. I started throwing firecrackers at them to scare them off, something which has worked on past stray animals (and which I'm totally willing to do vs shooting if it works), but they kept coming back. I asked him AGAIN and AGAIN to do something about it, and he did nothing. Thus, one day, when they showed up, I took one of them out (and the other flew off and never returned again), I solved the problem quickly and decisively.

Sorry, but law or no law, I'm not tolerating that situation. This is MY PROPERTY and I have the RIGHT for my yard to be safe for my children to play here vs letting it literally "go to the dogs." Heck, I think I'd had the right to do that even if it were simply a matter of that his dogs were getting into my trash or such. I have no interest in spending hours cleaning a yard and putting trash in a bag only to have dogs I didn't invite coming over here and undoing all of my work. That's completely unacceptable. I'm not doing it.

It was all because the neighbor wouldn't listen, which too often is how it goes. If you want to charge someone with animal cruelty, charge the OWNER, not the person protecting their property from the intrusion.
Wow, that is pretty sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events