Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 02:25 PM

17,717 posts, read 15,462,304 times

Advertisements

This is a non story wrapped up a little bit in poor wording.. Look, there were mistakes made, but when you read the quote..

Quote:
"We’ve had these kinds of conversations before, and I made it very clear that I work with the police and instructed them to do everything that they could to make sure that the protesters were able to exercise their right to free speech. It’s a very delicate balancing act. Because while we try to make sure that they were protected from the cars and the other things that were going on, we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well. And we worked very hard to keep that balance and to put ourselves in the best position to de-escalate and that’s what you saw this evening."
It's still not overly clear, especially if you read it fast, but.. this is the relevant part of it.

Quote:
Because while we try to make sure that they were protected from the cars and the other things that were going on, we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well.
That comma makes all the difference in the world. She was speaking of the protesters, giving them the space and freedom to protest, but, in doing so, they also unintentionally gave space to the looters.

The only thing that the mayor said that ticked me off, that I've heard at least.. Was this

Quote:
And in answering that question I made it very clear that we balance a very fine line between giving peaceful protestors space to protest.
No.. You didn't make it very clear. It was not clear at all.. It's understandable how the words were misconstrued.. Don't try using the "Everyone is lost but me" line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 03:08 PM

3,918 posts, read 4,576,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I cannot believe what I'm hearing. The mayor admits to giving those who wished to destroy Baltimore, the space to do that. Why? Because according to her "It's a delicate balance when dealing with rioters exercising their freedom of speech".
Ahhh whoops!

“I’m going to protect people’s right to protest,” she said. “The fact that people exploited that does not mean that I do not have an obligation to protect people’s right to protest. I never said, nor would I ever say, that we are giving people space to destroy our city. So my words should not be twisted.”

Baltimore Mayor Denies Saying the City Gave People ‘Space to Destroy’ « CBS DC

Actually, yes you did! Instead of accusing people of twisting your words, maybe you should have just admitted you said a foolish thing and that would be the end of it.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:14 PM

6,807 posts, read 4,508,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Ahhh whoops!

“I’m going to protect people’s right to protest,” she said. “The fact that people exploited that does not mean that I do not have an obligation to protect people’s right to protest. I never said, nor would I ever say, that we are giving people space to destroy our city. So my words should not be twisted.”

Baltimore Mayor Denies Saying the City Gave People ‘Space to Destroy’ « CBS DC

Actually, yes you did! Instead of accusing people of twisting your words, maybe you should have just admitted you said a foolish thing and that would be the end of it.
I went back and listened again and again to what she said. I even considered that maybe she meant to say "we (unintentionally) gave space to those wishing to destroy...", but that can't be because she follows her statement up with the "delicate balance" crap. This woman should be striped of her keys to the city. Nobody is twisting her words! Soon, those who hold her to her words, will be accused of being racists.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:05 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,792,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
no problem. there was a huge thread on politics/other controversies but it was mysteriously disappeared by the mods.
They helpfully buried that discussion somewhere in the middle of the gigantic thread full of chatter about the riots.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:18 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,893,301 times
No one needed to wait for her to "admit" anything, and she didn't "allegedly" say it, either, which is another crock of baloney the public was fed by a compliant press. We know what we heard.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:41 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,317,046 times
Quote:
I cannot believe what I'm hearing. The mayor admits to giving those who wished to destroy Baltimore, the space to do that. Why? Because according to her "It's a delicate balance when dealing with rioters exercising their freedom of speech".

WTF is wrong with this woman? Why is she still in charge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqpDFfSLMs8
She is an idiot and to see CNN's Sonny Hostin defend her because they are friends is sickening. It's only going to get better now that she is trailing behind Sharpton like a little puppy. Apparently Sharpton is running Baltimore now to. Look what he did to a FOX reporter trying to ask the Mayor questions.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:43 PM

53,100 posts, read 34,913,346 times
Quote:
I went back and listened again and again to what she said. I even considered that maybe she meant to say "we (unintentionally) gave space to those wishing to destroy...", but that can't be because she follows her statement up with the "delicate balance" crap. This woman should be striped of her keys to the city. Nobody is twisting her words! Soon, those who hold her to her words, will be accused of being racists.
That's precisely the train of thought I had.
That last sentence leaves no doubt it was intentional.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:55 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,792,223 times
Quote:
The word that should be inserted there is not "unintentionally" but "unfortunately". By delicate balance she meant balancing the need to give legitimate protestors space to protest without cops in their faces and the need to keep order. She's admitting that her strategy was not entirely about keeping order, and that the lack of order was partly a result of trying to respect the rights of the legitimate protestors.

That is not the same thing as saying she wanted the rioters to riot.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:59 PM

41,000 posts, read 49,403,183 times
Hey give her a break, it was just a teen flash mob on a slightly larger scale. They didn't mean to burn down those buildings.

Last edited by Rakin; 04-30-2015 at 07:27 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 07:01 PM

5,185 posts, read 4,982,068 times
Part of being a leader is also being a clear communicator. I do believe she meant that they inadvertently gave the rioters room along with the peaceful protesters, but her words were poorly chosen. Now it's said by a top cop that she issued an order to stand down, which she is denying. Another case of miscommunication? If for no other reason, any leader should be able to clearly communicate, especially in times of crisis!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events