Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 07:55 AM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
If an employer sees someone with a ghetto name on a resume, they will likely assume that this person has other ghetto attributes as well: laziness, sense of entitlement, chip on the shoulder, cries "racism" at every turn. Why would any self-respecting business want to hire anyone like that? And when there are 10 applications for every opening, it's a whole lot easier to toss La'Donte'de'Shawn's resume into the trash than go through the trouble of finding out if that person is as messed up as his (her?) name is.
nailed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 07:56 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
Is Kiara a "black" name. I see girls of different races with this name.

I hate the crazy spellings. Not that I have a problem with it only that it's confusing when they're are so many different spellings. The person might get offended if it is misspelled or mispronounced. As a child they will probably have to constantly correct people.
One of my dad's students spelled her name Quiera. He said all he could think about is "quiero" which means "what" in Spanish

Old 05-01-2015, 07:58 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,519,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
One of my dad's students spelled her name Quiera. He said all he could think about is "quiero" which means "what" in Spanish
i think it means want not what. i hope your judgey genius dad isn't a Spanish teacher

Old 05-01-2015, 07:59 AM

465 posts, read 613,514 times
When trying to agree on a name for our unborn son my husband and I actually thought about how it would look on resume.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:07 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
I have a unique name. When I was younger, people frequently thought I was black until they met me and found out my name is Hebrew. And I'm not Jewish. Having an odd name definitely has impacted my life. My mother loves it and I tell her all the time she wouldn't love it if she had to deal with it on a daily basis. I honestly hate my name. I have thought about changing it, but it's not that easy. And then I'd have to get people to call me by that name.

Both of her daughters have odd names. Her son is....Marc. Yeah we beat him up a lot growing up.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:10 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
No such thing.

Not "anglo american" names what ever that is supposed to mean. They were Christian names. Taken from the Bible. It was once common to ask for last name & Christian name.

American Baby boomers, both Black & White decided to break away from the habit and started naming their kids all kinds of things. This is why many now have last names for first names and all sorts of nonsensical names.
I've seen more than one thread on the Genealogy forum where people share the now-hilarious names of their ancestors. My great-grandmother's name was Verna. No Vernas in the Bible. Nor are there Julias, and the name Julia goes way back. "Christian name" simply is the name given at baptism, not a Biblical name.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:16 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,611,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
have you ever heard of colonization? what is an "ebonic name"? sounds like something an idiot racist would come up with.
Fallacious question. Those facts have nothing to do with what I know about colonization. None the less if you want to have a discussion of the history of colonization I'll be glad to do so.

Now to the topic at hand. Do you claim the parents of these leaders did not pick the names from their religion? If so, I want to see your proof.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:22 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
When a person has an odd name it makes you think how they were raised. If the parents gave their child a name like that what kind of things did they teach them growing up? That is what many wonder.

I told a relative(white) that gave her son an ethnic name that lots of his resumes will be thrown out. I remember a friend (black) being in a terrible mood when her son named his son Jamal. She explained that he has to have that name for life, but he wouldn't listen.

Our president, who I am not a fan of, had an easier life since he was Barry. If he was Barack the entire time things may have worked out differently.

Being unique rarely helps anyone. Fitting in will always matter.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:24 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
i think it means want not what. i hope your judgey genius dad isn't a Spanish teacher
I see a hit dog in between all of your defensive posts.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:25 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,611,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I've seen more than one thread on the Genealogy forum where people share the now-hilarious names of their ancestors. My great-grandmother's name was Verna. No Vernas in the Bible. Nor are there Julias, and the name Julia goes way back. "Christian name" simply is the name given at baptism, not a Biblical name.
This is true. I didn't say it was 100%. There are not as many women in the Bible as men. However in regards to this topic
  • Verna is from Latin (not anglo nor american)
  • Julia very old name going back 1000s of years. It would predate Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events