Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2015, 12:27 PM

241 posts, read 221,452 times

Advertisements

This reminded me of this young Christian couple I knew a few years ago who were foster-parenting a brother and sister who's biological parents named them Knolledge (yes misspelled on purposed) and Intellect (who had a severe brain injury).

WHYYYYYY? would anyone do that to a child? Eventually, they adopted them and legally changed their names to Knolly and Tella (But those are still weird nicknames)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I'm not even sure how to even attempt to pronounce that name! And I absolutely HATE butchering people's names because mine is butchered almost daily. Why would you do that to a person? Seems so cruel. I'd probably ask people to call me Jen since my last was Jenkins.
KWAN-Truh-NAY poor girl

Old 05-01-2015, 12:43 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
I mean... besides Mercedes. "Mercedes" is a cute name and could be any race. I do agree that people tend to trust WHITE SOUNDING names more. Simply because it's more common and familiar to them.

The same thing applies to Asians, if you will take notice.

Ever met a completely born and raised Chinese man named "Scotty" or some made up name like that? Yep. I have met them. At least many Asians realize their real names sound 'off' to us white Americans and use a name that they think will make them fit in and gain more respect.

Lower class blacks still like to use those names; middle class and higher blacks are mostly naming their kids something respectable that won't put them at any kind of disadvantage in the world.

Too bad lower class whites don't do the same.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
So what do they do in the majority Black and Black controlled real Africa? Like most countries, first names come from Christianity (or other religion). Nothing Anglo or American about them. That's nonsense.

No Ebonic Names Here.

Zimbawbe
  • President - Robert Mugabe
  • VP - Emmerson Mnangagwa
South Africa
  • President - Jacob Zuma
  • Deputy President - Cyril Ramaphosa
Democratic Republic of Congo
  • President - Joseph Kabila
  • Deputy President - Augustin Matata Ponyo
Republic of Congo
  • President - Denis Sassou Nguesso
  • No VP
Federal Republic of Nigeria
  • President - Goodluck Jonathan (got me on that one)
  • VP - Mohammed Namadi Sambo (First name obviously from Islam, last name would cause much false outrage in Black America.)
South Sudan

• President - Salva Kiir Mayardit
  • VP - James Wani Igga
Kenya
  • President - Uhuru Kenyatta (Swahili)
  • VP - William Samoei Ruto
Nelson Madela, whose real name was Rolihlahla, has/had(?) a daughter named is Zindzi. After we saw the movie Invictus, we named our cat Zindzi. I'm told by a South African friend that it's a popular name in SA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
When a person has an odd name it makes you think how they were raised. If the parents gave their child a name like that what kind of things did they teach them growing up? That is what many wonder.

I told a relative(white) that gave her son an ethnic name that lots of his resumes will be thrown out. I remember a friend (black) being in a terrible mood when her son named his son Jamal. She explained that he has to have that name for life, but he wouldn't listen.

Our president, who I am not a fan of, had an easier life since he was Barry. If he was Barack the entire time things may have worked out differently.

Being unique rarely helps anyone. Fitting in will always matter.
Oh, heck! I know a white guy of Albanian ancestry named Jamal.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:48 PM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
These names with apostrophes? What was left out that an apostrophe was inserted?
I've always wondered that myself

Old 05-01-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I've always wondered that myself
I'm not sure.. maybe a combination of names of the parentals?

Quantrelle = Dad
Anneise= Mom
Quantre'neise = Kid

Old 05-01-2015, 12:53 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
So if you name your child John it means you don't give a crap about the baby? Hmm.
If your last name is very exotic, I would say John as a first name is okay to get some balance.

But John Smith? come on! Put a little thought in it!!

Old 05-01-2015, 12:54 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,362 times
I don't get hired because my name is Jesus... its all white people's fault lol

Old 05-01-2015, 12:57 PM

625 posts, read 623,698 times
I like LaDash'A.

I think Ghetto name is the wrong title. There are a lot of bad names.

Rebel
Elrod
Billy Bob
Cletus
Buck
Cooter
Homer
Rufus

Amaleen
Amberly
AmberLeigh
AmberLee
AudreeLee
AudreyLeigh
AudreyAnne
Bambi
Bobbi Jo
Betty Jo
Brandine
Breannona
Buffy
Dreamona

You get the idea.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:59 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,519,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Fallacious question. Those facts have nothing to do with what I know about colonization. None the less if you want to have a discussion of the history of colonization I'll be glad to do so.

Now to the topic at hand. Do you claim the parents of these leaders did not pick the names from their religion? If so, I want to see your proof.
as someone has already told you, many biblical names have been anglo-cized. how do you think these Africans came about these names? wasn't your point that Africans don't name their children silly "ebonic" names like black Americans? or did you not have a point?

I think most people can agree that made up, dramatic "ghetto" and "trailer park" names, like Denyhe or Nevaeh, are tacky. but we're not just talking about made up names. the resume name study a few years ago used names like Dante or Tasha. these are "real" names, but, because they are associated with black people, resumes with these names get overlooked or thrown out.

names like aisha, aalyah, tariq, and amir are just as "valid" as European names and have meaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events