Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 03:13 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,053,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I wonder where the rest of the video is. The guy recording says he's been recording, so there must be more.
He only says he has been recording. He doesn't say for how long. Also "I've been recording" could mean "I am recording".

If there was more to the video, what would be the purpose of them not releasing it?

Last edited by KaaBoom; 05-02-2015 at 03:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 05:38 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,712,792 times
Waldokitty
I never called you obstinate, as your reply says.
Other parts of your reply were not coherent. Read what you wrote to me and see what I mean.
And that, my friend, is not a personal attack either.
I am still, however, troubled by the double standards I am seeing here as noted in my original post.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:10 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,849,149 times
"He fell down and severed his own spine"

And there are actually useful idiots who believe this?

(of course, there are also disingenuous apologists who know full well that it's a lie, and a laughable one at that, but they pretend to believe it because there's no crime that law enforcement can commit that they won't excuse away)

Old 05-02-2015, 06:39 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,372,370 times
What baffles me is this: I used to live in Memphis and heard stories MANY YEARS AGO - 20? about how, when some suspects are arrested, they'd close their heads in the squad car window and beat the tar out of them. I was skeptical so, once I was in the courtroom and they were calling names to set court dates... "john doe?" Judge looks around. "he's at the Med" Judge makes note. "sammy sap?" Judge looks around. "he's at the med" Judge makes note. It went on and ON. About 70% of names they called of people getting arrested were at the hospital!! :O Really? Coincidence? Sure, okay.

But of ALL the beat-downs routinely administered by the cops, I can guarantee you NONE of them ever resulted in a severed spine. That's what baffles me. How in tarnation do you sustain a severed spine in ANY brawl? I really like Chris Rock's video on how to not get your a-- kicked by the police.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:51 AM

42,876 posts, read 26,418,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
What baffles me is this: I used to live in Memphis and heard stories MANY YEARS AGO - 20? about how, when some suspects are arrested, they'd close their heads in the squad car window and beat the tar out of them. I was skeptical so, once I was in the courtroom and they were calling names to set court dates... "john doe?" Judge looks around. "he's at the Med" Judge makes note. "sammy sap?" Judge looks around. "he's at the med" Judge makes note. It went on and ON. About 70% of names they called of people getting arrested were at the hospital!! :O Really? Coincidence? Sure, okay.

But of ALL the beat-downs routinely administered by the cops, I can guarantee you NONE of them ever resulted in a severed spine. That's what baffles me. How in tarnation do you sustain a severed spine in ANY brawl? I really like Chris Rock's video on how to not get your a-- kicked by the police.
I don't think this was the result of a beating, maybe the initial injury was caused by the arresting officer putting his knee on Gray's neck, but I am guessing the fatal injuries were caused when he was alone in the back of the van, shackled hand and foot, the driver rapidly accelerates then brakes hard and possibly turns at the same time, that creates velocity. The prisoner can't brake the impact so hits the wall of the van full force. It can be the equivalent of being thrown off of a 3 story building. It was real common in some Police Dept's in the 80's but now (at least on the west coast) it's pretty much limited to prison transports because most police dept's no longer use transport vans.

Baltimore has already settled at least 5 cases for "rough rides", in those 3 people were paralyzed- one died.

Two more men allege 'rough rides' in Baltimore police van - Baltimore Sun

This like any kind of abuse or illegal activity in law enforcement can only stop with a new Police Chief who makes it clear that if you even think about doing something like this you can find another job. It looks to me like Baltimore police administrators just sort of winked and looked the other way. They need a new Chief.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:36 PM

22,681 posts, read 24,681,045 times
Not belted in and dies = policy violation = murder!

Old 05-03-2015, 08:39 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,033,727 times
I think we should remember that some police officers are brutal and egotistical. They take advantage of their power. It isn't always related to race.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:39 AM

1,077 posts, read 875,912 times
Reforming Baltimore police will be expensive, costly

By BEN NUCKOLS and MICHAEL BIESECKER

May. 5, 2015 4:26 AM EDT

BALTIMORE (AP) — Months before Freddie Gray died of the broken neck he suffered during what Baltimore's top prosecutor called an illegal arrest, the city's mayor and police commissioner said the department needed reform and asked the Justice Department for help reviewing officer misconduct.

Now that Gray is buried, six officers are charged in his death and an uneasy calm has returned to the streets, critics are wondering whether city leaders are capable of implementing the change the city needs without the direct, intensive oversight that comes with a full-fledged civil rights investigation resulting in a federal consent decree.

Democratic Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake has already pushed back against this possibility, saying it would deprive Baltimore's leaders from having a say in fighting crime in one of the nation's most violent major cities, with more than 200 homicides a year.

"Nobody wants the Department of Justice to come and take over our city," she said last week.

Reforming Baltimore police will be expensive, costly

Old 05-05-2015, 08:29 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,852,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't think this was the result of a beating, maybe the initial injury was caused by the arresting officer putting his knee on Gray's neck, but I am guessing the fatal injuries were caused when he was alone in the back of the van, shackled hand and foot, the driver rapidly accelerates then brakes hard and possibly turns at the same time, that creates velocity. The prisoner can't brake the impact so hits the wall of the van full force. It can be the equivalent of being thrown off of a 3 story building. It was real common in some Police Dept's in the 80's but now (at least on the west coast) it's pretty much limited to prison transports because most police dept's no longer use transport vans.
What is up, using those police vans for transporting one or two PEOPLE to the police station? No patrol cars to throw the suspect in? What is up with police still violating PEOPLE's rights, while the cameras are rolling? Are some police just so used to taking away our rights, that they do not care if they are being recorded and filmed?

Animal control treats animals, in most cases, better than some police treat PEOPLE!!

What went on in that van? Mr Gray did not have a chance to survive; maybe the police did not want a live witness to their atrocious behavior? How would they like their sons or daughters to be treated like a side of beef and thrown in a van and then driven around by a maniac?

I have a horrible feeling that this behavior, on the part of some police has been going on for way too long. Now with technology........some are caught in the act of indefensible behavior.

Some police just can't get over the control and power they have arresting PEOPLE. Police are supposed to protect, not kill accused PEOPLE. What happened to innocent until proven guilty, in this country?

Old 05-05-2015, 05:09 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,104,387 times
If it was the ride in the back of the van that caused the fatal injury, there is only one person ultimately responsible for that. The driver. If someone in your car is not wearing a seatbelt, the driver gets the ticket. Not the passenger.

Back in the 70s I worked for a meat packing plant in Ohio. One of the jobs I had was hauling the trash to the dump. I drove the usual rear loading garbage truck with the hydraulic compactor in the back. There was another dump trailer that I did not drive to the dump. It carried everything they can't use from the pig. The man that usually took it to the dump was on vacation and I had to take it.

The cops must have had a lot of complaints because of the dripping of fluids (sorry about that picture). I was the one that got stopped and had to go to court for 'Unsecured Load". At least the company paid the fine, but I got the ticket and the record. Good thing there wasn't jail time involved. I don't think anyone else from the company would have gone to jail. Basically it is the driver's responsibility for anything that happens.

I will admit, though it was quite funny when I looked in the mirror and saw cars approaching my truck and then quickly backing off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events