Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 07:27 AM

625 posts, read 624,497 times

Advertisements

COLUMBIA, S.C. – One small-town South Carolina police officer has been sentenced to 18 months in prison, and a second to a year and a day for unnecessarily shocking a mentally disabled woman with a Taser at least eight times.

Franklin Brown received the longer sentence Monday because he shocked 40-year-old Melissa Davis after she had been handcuffed in April 2013. The other Marion police officer, Eric Walters, stopped Davis early one morning to see if she had broken into a home. Neither Walters nor other officers have explained how the incident escalated so quickly.

Link to entire article:

Judge orders prison sentences for 2 South Carolina officers who used Taser on woman 8 times | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 07:35 AM

1,077 posts, read 873,032 times
from the link above
Quote:

Franklin Brown received the longer sentence Monday because he shocked
40-year-old Melissa Davis after she had been handcuffed in April 2013
. The other
Marion police officer, Eric Walters, stopped Davis early one morning to see if
she had broken into a home. Neither Walters nor other officers have explained
how the incident escalated so quickly.

Davis was in court but began sobbing as Walters apologized, and was ushered
out by her family.

Federal judge Bryan Carwell said the two officers through one bad action
ruined the good work of thousands of honest officers.
BBM

After handcuffing this guy found the need to taser her?

Good that this police brutality, abuse of power are coming to light.

I agree with the federal judge but it seems it's becoming more prevalent. Time for the good officers to weed out the bad ones.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:43 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
This one has even more details...the poor woman wasn't even doing anything wrong, just walking!

Prison For South Carolina Cops Who Tasered Mentally Disabled Woman 8 Times

Walters was patrolling in Marion early one morning when he saw Davis walking out of the yard of a home for sale. He asked her what she was doing, thinking she might have broken into the home, then shocked her with his Taser, according to court papers.

After Davis fell to the ground, Walters ordered her to put her hands behind her back, then shocked her four more times before she could respond, prosecutors said.

By the time Brown responded, Walters had determined Davis did nothing wrong and was removing the Taser probes from her back. Brown noticed one of Davis' hands had slipped from her improperly applied handcuffs and ordered everyone to move away and shocked Davis again, even though she was not trying to fight or escape, according to court papers.

Brown shocked Davis twice more, then offered to let her go if he could shoot her in the forehead one more time with his Taser, prosecutors said.

Absolutely disgusting.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:56 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times
I am so glad these officers are doing time for this! I take this as a sign of things to come and hope it serves as an example.
I know most of the police are trying to do their jobs correctly, I assume they don't want their names tainted by a small number of "thugs" in their police force anymore than the rest of us want our neighborhoods soiled by bad people.
Kudos to that judge, I hope we start seeing more of the same.
It's about time!

Old 05-06-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This one has even more details...the poor woman wasn't even doing anything wrong, just walking!

Walters was patrolling in Marion early one morning when he saw Davis walking out of the yard of a home for sale. He asked her what she was doing, thinking she might have broken into the home, then shocked her with his Taser, according to court papers.

After Davis fell to the ground, Walters ordered her to put her hands behind her back, then shocked her four more times before she could respond, prosecutors said.

By the time Brown responded, Walters had determined Davis did nothing wrong and was removing the Taser probes from her back. Brown noticed one of Davis' hands had slipped from her improperly applied handcuffs and ordered everyone to move away and shocked Davis again, even though she was not trying to fight or escape, according to court papers.

Brown shocked Davis twice more, then offered to let her go if he could shoot her in the forehead one more time with his Taser, prosecutors said.

Absolutely disgusting.

It appears he wanted to use her as target practice. Disgusting, glad he's doing time. Even better, he could never be a LEO again.

Fall from grace!

Old 05-06-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I am so glad these officers are doing time for this! I take this as a sign of things to come and hope it serves as an example.
I know most of the police are trying to do their jobs correctly, I assume they don't want their names tainted by a small number of "thugs" in their police force anymore than the rest of us want our neighborhoods soiled by bad people.
It's about time!
It's just a certain few who abuse their powers.

Weeding out the bad one's should be top priority of the good officers.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

Absolutely disgusting.
Thanks for the link to a better write-up.

Last edited by BamaBlue; 05-06-2015 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 05-06-2015, 08:20 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,120,263 times
I don't know about you, but recent news like this one makes me think that there is more than "just a few" bad apples in LE.

I think that the vast majority of LE is carrying out their jobs like they are supposed to. But the many incidents you see reported nowadays make you realize that, indisputably, police brutality does occur in this country and perhaps quite often. Many of those on the receiving end of violence are black - depending on your position, you can draw two conclusions from that.

All's I know is that if we didn't have dash cams and civilian phone cameras, most of these cases would not come to light because no one would believe the victims.

Mick

Old 05-06-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It's about time!
Nice use of THUGS!

Old 05-06-2015, 09:57 AM

698 posts, read 588,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
It's just a certain few who abuse their powers.

Weeding out the bad one's should be top priority of the good officers.
The problem is that the top priority of the "good" officers and the police union is to close ranks and cover for the bad cops. Rarely if ever does a LEO agency condemn the actions of the thug cops, they normally offer all kinds of excuses for the behavior and immediately begin to build a case for why the victim deserved it. The police officers union always sides with the cops, doesn't matter what happened, as far as they are concerned an officer's actions are always justified, no matter how sick, sadistic and criminal they might be.

So it is not just a certain few who abuse their powers. It is the entire system that attempts to cover up and protect the abusive officers from any criminal sanctions or more than the mildest form of administrative punishment. Do most people that make a mistake at work that costs someone their life get punished with a paid vacation?

The only way this is going to change is if the lawsuit settlements and legal fees come directly from the cop's paychecks and pension funds. If the supposed good cops knew that their retirement income would decrease every time a member of the blue wall abused their authority they would take care of it very quickly. As of now, there is zero incentive for a cop to do anything that might harm or punish another cop. Just like any other criminal gang, cops operate by the "snitches get stitches" code of dishonor. If a brave cop sticks his neck out to report a fellow cop for abuse, the justice system always seems to find a way to let the cop off the hook, so you really can't blame the good cops for doing nothing. The most likely outcome for them is a trashed career and the scumbag cop will get away with anything anyway.

I would also like to see all convicted cops forced to do their time in the general population without any special protection. Let them get a taste of what it is like to be subject to street justice without any recourse for a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events