Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 10:48 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I've seen them at the supermarket. It's nearly a suggestion. You cannot get a ticket for parking in a pregnant lady spot. The store would actually have to press charges for trespassing.. which is unlikely.

Either way, it seems reasonable to me. If you're pregnant, you're obviously going to have a harder time shopping than me.
Harris Teeter (in NC) has spots for parents with small children, and spots for Veterans. Not DISABLED Veterans, just Veterans. There was a story on the news about a female vet being chewed up for parking in the spot. I honestly don't understand why they get their own spot.

I have had two hip surgeries in the past 17 months and have serious mobility issues. I have a temporary handicap tag. Most of the time we don't use it. If we get a store, and there's a space NEXT to a handicap spot, we'll park there. I try to leave the handicap spots for those who are worse off than I am. I have gotten some looks. I'm 51, but I don't look my age. As soon as they see me get out of the car, though, they can tell. I use a cane, but I have a very pronounced limp. I'm sure there are those who would say, "If she just lost some weight, she wouldn't need it." Trust me, I would LOVE to! I eat healthy, but without the ability to exercise, and with drugs like Gabapentin, prednisone, etc., it's hard. When I'm in a store, I find that pushing the cart is easier than using my cane. On days when it's impossible to walk, I sent my hubby to the store. And I do that because of the comments on here about the fat women riding on the carts at Walmart. Ticks me off to see how judgmental people are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 11:01 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,383 times
Oh, and another thing. Filing for SSDI takes a long time from start to finish. They pick your application and medical history to pieces in one very humiliating and dehumanizing process. We all probably know people who are scamming the system, but it's because of them that the process is long for those of us who need it.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:02 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Personally, I wish all these special parking spots would all go away. On a few oucassions I've been in lots that were seemingly pretty full to find either someones pos tiny ***** car like a Spark, or PriusC, or J-body deep in a space, or think "oh spit, a front space," just to see it's some handicap space, and my quest leads me way off to BFE parking. Personally I think if you can walk around the store, your sorry butt can walk across the parking lot.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Personally, I wish all these special parking spots would all go away. On a few oucassions I've been in lots that were seemingly pretty full to find either someones pos tiny ***** car like a Spark, or PriusC, or J-body deep in a space, or think "oh spit, a front space," just to see it's some handicap space, and my quest leads me way off to BFE parking. Personally I think if you can walk around the store, your sorry butt can walk across the parking lot.
Let me know how you feel about that when you're disabled.

Like I said earlier, I haven't had to deal with mobility issues till the past couple of years when I tore not one, but both my Achilles tendons. This requires surgery and it is a very lengthy recovery process (about a year for each one). I am fine now, but for MONTHS I was on crutches, or a knee scooter, or in a big, hot, bulky "robocop boot" or a cast. I had a temporary handicap placard and believe me, I used it.

Guess what - the dogs still need dog food, I still need toilet paper and milk, and life still goes on. In other words, I still had to run errands (well, run isn't the right word), and besides that, even disabled people get cabin fever sometimes and want to get out and about. It's just more difficult for them to do so.

In the earlier stages and when I was on crutches, I used the motorized carts when they were available, but sometimes I just had to make do on the crutches or knee scooter, which was a serious pain in the arse, but like I said, it needed to be done.

So yeah, I could walk or hobble around the store - and sometimes I needed to - but it was pretty hard to walk my sorry butt across the parking lot OR across the store. I used those spaces and was very grateful for every step they saved me.

Another thing you probably haven't thought of is this - if people need to navigate on crutches or use a scooter or some other mobility device, they often need more room on either side of their vehicle to get in and out of the vehicle. That's why some handicapped spaces are wider than the other spaces.

Like I said, check back with us and tell us how you feel about handicapped spaces when you qualify for one and need one. You can also let us know how you feel about people who DON'T qualify who park in those spaces.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:57 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
I'm stunned that this is the 2ed thread in a few weeks about handicapped parking. As I said in the other, I have never, ever even noticed who parks in them. Not my business and I am not their doctors nor privy to their medical records. I purposely park as far away from other cars as I can, and don't need to be by the store doors.

I feel lucky I don't need those spaces. After reading here, I also feel lucky I don't feel the need to judge those that do.

Melanie, you're an amazing and beautiful woman. Wonderful post and you're doggy is adorable!

Old 05-14-2015, 11:07 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
I understand that many people have disabilities or diseases that keep them from maintaining a good weight, but here in the US, when I see an obese person in a motorized cart at Walmart, I can't help but think "moving stereotype".
Where in the story did it say the woman was obese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
People would be better off if they minded their own business in circumstances like these. There's simply no way to diagnose a person in a parking lot.
Oh, but don't you know? All these judgmental people are perfect, and therefore are qualified to determine others' faults on every single issue, whether it be physical or psychological.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Obvs nobody read the actual article (especially from the York Press itself) which stated that the driver was NOT displaying her disabled badge.
Obvs () (sic) you didn't read it either, which stated the driver was not required to display it to park in the designated spot in that particular lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
No and I didn't care either. She put herself in that position, my mother didn't.
How do you know? Were you privy to the woman's medical records?

Old 05-14-2015, 01:36 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Obvs () (sic) you didn't read it either, which stated the driver was not required to display it to park in the designated spot in that particular lot.

I used to live in England. Handicapped parking badges are not actually required to park in any private parking lots: public roads/council authority car parks only....unless my understanding of the program is WAY off. (Chime in, English people).

However, since most English people are not a-holes, they do not park in handicapped spaces unless they have a blue badge.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:42 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,964 times
People need to mind their own damn business.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:21 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,708,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
People need to mind their own damn business.
That's true in most cases.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:48 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Handicapped parking badges are not actually required to park in any private parking lots: public roads/council authority car parks only
Isn't that what I wrote ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events