Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 11:32 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I sympathize with her conditions, BUT, a few things are a bit off for me (such as no blue sticker/placard, though it's not required on private property)

Note on parked car: 'Fat and ugly doesn't count as disabled' - UPI.com
I bet if she lost weight her fibromyalgia would clear up. I dont have a whole lot of sympathy for fat people, as in most cases a persons fatness, or obesity if you will, is self-imposed. The "ugly" comment is un-necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 11:55 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I bet if she lost weight her fibromyalgia would clear up. I dont have a whole lot of sympathy for fat people, as in most cases a persons fatness, or obesity if you will, is self-imposed. The "ugly" comment is un-necessary.
Fibromyalgia doesn't "clear up." Slender people have it as well as the overweight. Clearly, you don't like obese people. Hopefully, you will never have an affliction that others "have no sympathy for."

Old 05-09-2015, 11:57 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
According to the article:

Quote:
Metcalfe said her vehicle was not displaying a blue badge that entitles her to accessible parking, but the badges are not required in privately owned lots unless a sign is posted saying otherwise.

A spokesman for Tesco said the company does not own the parking lot, but is interested in working with Metcalfe.

"We ask that customers display a blue badge if they are parking in a disabled bay to prevent abuse of these essential spaces, but appreciate our Clifton Moor customer's concerns and would welcome her to talk to our colleagues in store. We will also report this incident to the car park owners," the spokesman told York newspaper The Press.
I'm confused.

Apparently she did not have a blue badge (their equivalent of our handicapped parking placard). Shouldn't she get one if she is disabled?

Also, don't understand the blue badges not being required in privately owned lots unless a sign is posted otherwise. Aren't all disabled parking areas clearly marked with a sign, that requires you to display a badge in your vehicle? Why else would the spokesperson tell people to display the blue badge when parking in those spaces?

Anyone from the UK can clarify this?

Old 05-09-2015, 12:23 PM

304 posts, read 325,012 times
Quote:

I'm confused.

Apparently she did not have a blue badge (their equivalent of our handicapped parking placard). Shouldn't she get one if she is disabled?

Also, don't understand the blue badges not being required in privately owned lots unless a sign is posted otherwise. Aren't all disabled parking areas clearly marked with a sign, that requires you to display a badge in your vehicle? Why else would the spokesperson tell people to display the blue badge when parking in those spaces?

Yes interesting. Perhaps she was not actually handicap.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:41 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,622 times
Quote:

I'm confused.

Shouldn't she get one if she is disabled?

I was thinking it meant that she just didnt display it because it was not required in that parking lot. It didnt mention that she doesnt have the sticker at all, just she didnt have it displayed.

It doesnt make sense though, it should be required for display no matter what..

Old 05-09-2015, 01:52 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
"However, I have to shudder when thinking about the other doctors and what they'll be saying. It was already common enough for them to say, "You've got fibromyalgia because you're fat. Lose weight and you'll feel better." What they fail to do is address the reasons we're overweight and recognize that it's not easy. Healthy people struggle with weight loss. We struggle more."

Fibromyalgia & Obesity: Cause, Effect or Vicious Cycle?

Old 05-09-2015, 02:27 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Most stereotypes are based on some truth. Don't pretend it isn't a common sight at Walmart. You'd be lying to yourself.
Sure it is. It's a common sight everywhere, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Frankly, I'm sick of perfect strangers playing "handicapped parking police." There's no way for anyone to look at a person and know whether or not they have reason to use a handicapped spot. If they have a valid placard, that should be sufficient.
Agreed. It's no one's business, anyway. Even if someone isn't legitimately handicapped, it shouldn't matter unless A) you are handicapped and were unable to get a spot yourself or B) you are a law enforcement officer/owner of the parking lot. Otherwise, butt out. What, are you jealous that you can't park closer to the door or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
To me a person who is handicap is someone that has a physical limitation, i.e. they are bound to a wheelchair because they are unable to use their leg(s). Either way if I see an elderly person parking in a handicap spot, who is still capable of walking, it doesn't bother me. I get more angry with the people who take up two or three spots because they don't want their vehicle getting dinged.
Good thing it isn't up to you to determine who is and isn't able to park in a handicapped parking lot.

Quote:

Old 05-09-2015, 02:34 PM

671 posts, read 890,627 times
So she got a note,,so what? Like this is suppose to be a news item? I mean what's the point? Her feelings were hurt?

Old 05-09-2015, 03:35 PM

687 posts, read 915,816 times
With so many people faking disability these days, whether in the US, the UK, or other Western countries, it's no surprise there is going to be backlash.

We're already getting to the point where "being stupid" or "I chose to not graduate high school" are becoming reasons to claim "disability" in order to collect checks from those who produce.

And my fellow veterans are not absolved from this, in fact US veterans are first and foremost in filing (and getting) fake disability claims and collecting loot. For shame on all of us for allowing it to happen at all.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:25 PM

450 posts, read 597,559 times
Forgive me but this post is beginning to become amusing in a strange sort of way. Maybe it was the rather obese gentleman who was also a bit tipsy that came into our office. He sat in a standard grey office arm chair and handled his business. When he got up to leave his hips had wrapped themselves around the chair arms and the chair came up with him. It took to workers to pull the chair off. No offense but it was a bit funny too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events