Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 06:57 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The father's oldest son was removed from the home and raised by an uncle. Losing custody of one child due to abuse shows a pattern. It's much less far fetched to assume that he is continuing an established pattern than that everyone is lying and out to get this family.
That son is from a different mother, and that was 15 years ago. So you think because that child from a previous marriage/relationship was raised by an uncle that this father should lose custody of all his other children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 07:29 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
That son is from a different mother, and that was 15 years ago. So you think because that child from a previous marriage/relationship was raised by an uncle that this father should lose custody of all his other children?
No, but it does indicate that concern is needed. This is not even the first time CPS has investigated this couple with the rest of their children.

They haven't lost custody of their kids for good, just temporarily. There are enough red flags for me to agree with that. CPS can continue their investigation and see if real abuse if going on.

This is what I would like to happen:

The family will have a well put in to provide clean water, instead of stealing or borrowing it from the neighbors. The Go Fund Me site works great for this.

They will improve the housing to meet the CPS criteria, which is very low anyways.
They will file appropriate paperwork to get their children birth certificates and prove they are homeschooling.

Then the children can be returned as long as long as there are no other kinds of abuse going on.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:51 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
The oldest kid was removed from his father because of physical and sexual abuse, from what I've read. When the same father has 10 children living in an uninsulated shack and is "unschooling" them far away from the eyes of any mandatory reporters, yeah, CPS is going to jump on any accusations - and rightfully so. This guy didn't lose his first kid because of neglect or lack of resources - things that could be excused by youth or poverty. He lost the kid because of ACTIVE abuse.

I'd say you lose your right to complain about government interference in how you raise your kids once you have one removed because you were either beating him or diddling him or both. Joe Naugler claimed the abuse allegations were false, but neglected to explain why his brother had custody of his oldest child.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:04 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
No, but it does indicate that concern is needed. This is not even the first time CPS has investigated this couple with the rest of their children.

They haven't lost custody of their kids for good, just temporarily. There are enough red flags for me to agree with that. CPS can continue their investigation and see if real abuse if going on.

This is what I would like to happen:

The family will have a well put in to provide clean water, instead of stealing or borrowing it from the neighbors. The Go Fund Me site works great for this.

They will improve the housing to meet the CPS criteria, which is very low anyways.
They will file appropriate paperwork to get their children birth certificates and prove they are homeschooling.

Then the children can be returned as long as long as there are no other kinds of abuse going on.
I can agree with most of what you said here. I'm responding on this thread mostly because it does seem that so many aren't even looking for the facts of abuse but basing their decision on the off grid lifestyle and homeschooling, as if that is grounds to lose your children just because it's not the norm. I'm a homeschooling parent and with the way things have become in the modern day world, I'm ready to move as far away from the cities as I can get, and I'm working on that.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:11 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Google unschooling, it's a different type of schooling rather than everything being books and writing. It's learning from example and doing. It's a popular style among many homeschoolers. Sorry I had to educate you on that since you didn't know.
Unschooling gives homeschoolers a bad name, IMO! You can teach your kid by doing without depriving them of an education. Most kids who are home schooled do better on SAT's then kids in public school. Unschooling is an excuse to do nothing. Sure, they are learning to survive, that is human nature, not an education. Everyone learns to survive.

These people need a reality show so they can get out of their homeless state. The father is clearly bi polarish. Can't even afford to give them a proper off the grid home yet is buying a pet salon?

This is living off grid: http://practicalsurvivalist.com/awes...utility-bills/

This is homeless: Kentucky couple raising TEN children in tents as part of 'free range' parenting | Daily Mail Online

Homeless:
AMERICA TODAY: Heartbreaking Pictures From New Jersey's Homeless 'Tent City' - Business Insider

Which homestead compares to theirs?
It takes money to live off the grid, it's not an alternative. We'd all like to have enough money to live off the grid but it isn't safe unless you have money to make it so first. Otherwise, you are just homeless. This guy should be working on more than making his poor wife a breeder for handymen. He shouldn't have moved his family off the grid until he made it livable. He's just a loser.

Last edited by PoppySead; 05-15-2015 at 08:20 AM..

Old 05-15-2015, 08:14 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Every one of us has millions of ancestors who didn't have these things.
Yeah and they were lucky to live to see 40.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:21 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Quote:
I can agree with most of what you said here. I'm responding on this thread mostly because it does seem that so many aren't even looking for the facts of abuse but basing their decision on the off grid lifestyle and homeschooling, as if that is grounds to lose your children just because it's not the norm. I'm a homeschooling parent and with the way things have become in the modern day world, I'm ready to move as far away from the cities as I can get, and I'm working on that.
Yes, and I am sure you will do it very well. Homeschooling is a great option and very effective. Even unschooling can be very effective. Even living off the grid can be wonderful.

These people are not the example to follow for any of these movements.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:28 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
I've spent some time going through the archives of Nicole Naugler's blog. It's pretty obvious that the parents love their children and have always had the desire to live simply. I don't think they are bad parents - I think they need to accept some outside help to improve their living conditions. Taking children away from the close-knit family structure and sticking them in foster homes is cruel IMO.

My impression is that the family is operating with severely limited funds, and also limited knowledge on successful homesteading. They have big plans, but don't seem to be able to put them into successful action.

As far as Nicole being arrested for disorderly conduct, I can well understand it. She just had her 10 children taken from her and wants them back. I'd be pretty upset over that if it were me.

I hope this has a positive ending.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:32 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
People tend to blog themselves in the best possible light, and only put out there what they want the rest of the world to perceive of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I've spent some time going through the archives of Nicole Naugler's blog. It's pretty obvious that the parents love their children and have always had the desire to live simply. I don't think they are bad parents - I think they need to accept some outside help to improve their living conditions. Taking children away from the close-knit family structure and sticking them in foster homes is cruel IMO.

My impression is that the family is operating with severely limited funds, and also limited knowledge on successful homesteading. They have big plans, but don't seem to be able to put them into successful action.

As far as Nicole being arrested for disorderly conduct, I can well understand it. She just had her 10 children taken from her and wants them back. I'd be pretty upset over that if it were me.

I hope this has a positive ending.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:34 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
If these parents are familiar with the Unschooling method of educating their children, they must have done considerable research. We used the Unschooling system ourselves, and as missionaries, lived in (horrors) tents at times, and yes, my kids all know how to poop responsibly in the woods. (Read How to $hit in the Woods - available from Amazon.) They also know how to survive in the woods (and in most terrains on the planet), with nothing more than the shirts on their backs, which could come in handy if Obama keeps on his present course! My children are all responsible adults and our youngest daughter is presently finishing up her PhD thesis. ALL of them have IQs that would allow them membership in the Mensa Society - if they were so inclined, which they are not. We have five beautiful grandchildren and hope for many more.

DH and I tour for most of the year and live (horrors) 'off the grid,' using solar panels on a paid-for tour bus to meet our electrical needs. We have Internet, indoor plumbing (which is really a farce in a tour bus or RV, as it's merely a tank which has to be emptied and cleaned out often, but hey, we sit on a bona fide toidy, so I guess it must be okay), a microwave, stove, fridge, TV (we don't watch TV, but we do like movies - and we own quite a few), and so on.

The Unschooling method, as anyone with a comprehensive background in education knows, still produces the highest-scoring students on the planet. Obtaining one's GED or sitting one's SATs is never a problem, and neither is admittance to any university. Are you aware that Harvard prefers Unschooled students? Top universities want you to homeschool | Penelope Trunk Education

In short, the world today is a mess, and public schools are an embarrassment. Fully 75% of high school graduates are functionally illiterate (when all factors are considered).

Way to go America!

If I were a gambling woman, I'd bet my bottom dollar that every one of the kids in that 'off the grid' family, over the age of five, can read.

Mahrie.
Colleges want homeschooled kids, as your article states, not "unschooled kids" there is a huge difference.
Unschooling is not home schooling. Unschooling is letting the kid do whatever they want, whenever they want. If they learn great, if they don't great.
Homeschooling is teaching in the home. There is a difference. I know, I've homeschooled, and virtual schooled my child. I also have known a few who unschooled, not at all the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events