Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 05:29 PM

963 posts, read 689,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This article os not about Baltimore It's older than that, its more about the 99%ers protest. It's about how rich people manipulate everyone else to be fooled into thinking their enemy is really the teacher next door and not the big fat corporation. It's right, IMO.

It is a bit mind boggling IMO how many people here don't read the articles, but only the headline, and feel that's enough to make a judgement about it. This is part of why we are so easily manipulated, few of us want to do more than skim the surface.
Seems to me, that's what the guy you were responding to was saying too. I remember the OWS protesters. Vile creatures worthy of our hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
"Protesters"? You mean the ones who block traffic, smash out car windows, assault innocent bystanders, attack the police officers who are trying to maintain law and order, break store windows, loot the contents of those stores, then burn down what's left?

No, they don't need "powerful people" to get me to hate them. They're able to accomplish that all by themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 05:31 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
Seems to me, that's what the guy you were responding to was saying too. I remember the OWS protesters. Vile creatures worthy of our hate.
When the heck did any of that happen with the 99ers protest?

Thanks btw, your post actually made my point quite nicely.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:08 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Great post. Reminds me of the move to demonize the Occupy movement.

I think it was Glenn Greenwald who first pointed out to me the way the media presents whistle-blowers as marginal or disturbed.
One legacy of Occupy is that "The 1%" is now part of everybody's vocabulary.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:56 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
If the responses to this thread are any indication, this article, which is apparently one of the most clever and poignant articles ever written, basically takes the most common reasons people have for turning against protest movements and claims they are all illegitimate and anyone who uses one of these reasons is being tricked. Since these are the most common reasons, anyone voicing a negative opinion about a protest is most likely using one of these reasons, so people who support the protests can now say "look you used one of the reasons! You've been tricked! You're proving the article's point!"

Of course the one most obvious point, that a person's reason for not supporting a protest movement can be entirely valid, is never even considered.

Seems to me that the people being "tricked" are the people who read the article and got a little too taken in by it.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:34 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
The person who wrote this made a great point. We have a tendency to dismiss certain issues on the basis of

A.) the idea that we can only focus on one thing at a time
B.) "it's not as bad as" insert place/time here

"Women in America, sexism isn't really a big deal I mean at least it's Not as bad as the Middle East"

"Black people I mean at least you're not slaves anymore"

The same is true with poverty. Look at Darrell Issas comments this year

Old 06-11-2015, 11:59 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
The only vile creatures on this planet are the "Committee of 200", a group of super rich folks at the top of the economic food chain that crush everyone else with their complete control of the world financial system.

You must either be one of their paid disinfo trolls or just a completely duped idiot that is easily brainwashed by the mainstream TV media, which they also completely control through only six corporations that allow them to spew their propaganda to fools like yourself 24/7.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:31 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
One way to get everyone else to hate protestors - be inconsiderate to regular citizens just trying to live their lives.

Here are some simple tactics to do so:
1. Block roads so that people who have nothing to do with your cause are made to suffer.
2. Clog city sidewalks so people needing to get to work have to detour around.
3. Leave a giant mess.
4. Don't do anything about the thugs in your ranks who destroy property.
5. Hold rallies in public parks and ensure the person using the bullhorn is throwing out profanities for your children to hear.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:32 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
The only vile creatures on this planet are the "Committee of 200", a group of super rich folks at the top of the economic food chain that crush everyone else with their complete control of the world financial system.
They require governments to pass laws to lock out, as much as possible, the little guys who are trying to compete.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:16 PM

9 posts, read 5,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
So opinionated.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:22 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Great post. Reminds me of the move to demonize the Occupy movement.

I think it was Glenn Greenwald who first pointed out to me the way the media presents whistle-blowers as marginal or disturbed.
It did not help the cause that they chose to squat and live like pigs in NYC.

The city picked up the massive tab for the clean up.

I am unaware that Occupy achieved anything.

In Chicago, the protests included plenty who were paid $10/hr and food to protest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events