Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 06:51 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,840,748 times

Advertisements

Off topic... I work with a Doctor that grew up in South Africa... his family goes back 5 generations... on census forms he ALWAYS puts African American... he says what else would you call someone with 5 generations from Africa that is now an American Citizen...

By the way... he sure looks Caucasian.

The Oakland Police Department has focused for years on diversity, having some success, said Sgt. Juan Sanchez, the department's recruiting supervisor.

The department's racial and ethnic makeup nearly mirrors the makeup of the city's population. Of its 694 officers, 42% are white, 21% are Hispanic, 19% are black and 13% are Asian. The city of 406,000 is about 26% white, 28% black, 25% Hispanic and 17% Asian.

Maybe the solution is for the rest of the country to follow Oakland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 07:25 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,461,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Each time I was totally compliant and answered all questions... even consented to having my car and person searched...
You may have been fine with doing this but it is flat out unnecessary and wrong in our society. Furthermore no lawyer worth his salt would agree that any person should allow the police to search their them or car without probable cause.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:34 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,840,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
You may have been fine with doing this but it is flat out unnecessary and wrong in our society. Furthermore no lawyer worth his salt would agree that any person should allow the police to search their them or car without probable cause.
I know and friends have said are you outta your mind... being 20 years old and opening your trunk and getting a pat down... the pat downs were for "My" protection or so I was told.

On the other hand my parents commended me for it... so I really would say it is how you are raised.

I've never had a ticket or been arrested... must be doing something right?

The streets of East Oakland have not always been a walk in the park... I know too many people that have been gunned down and no... not by police.

So far the words Never give the law a reason or excuse has worked well... and there was a period in my teens and twenties when I was pulled over regularly...

typically for me it was coming home from night school that put me on city streets about 11pm... I carried my school work/books in a backpack and at least half a dozen times police asked to see what was in the bag and I said OK...

Was told I matched a description or they couldn't see my tags or I was in a high crime area... never an issue with my car... my lights all work, my registration and insurance is current.

Later I was thinking about Law Enforcement... my timing was off... it still gave me the opportunity for ride alongs with several cities and the county...

Quite a different view when you are sitting in the front seat of a police cruiser and you don't go out in the street without a bulletproof vest and the officer gives you the spare key to the cruiser with instructions to take the car and go if told to...

I've seen people attempt to take a swing, use foul language and even spit in the officer's face... several times I'm thinking to myself this person must be looking for trouble because all the officer asked is for ID and why you were walking the street at 2 am...

Writing got me thinking of what happened to a friend of mine in Oakland... he was running late for work and got pulled over... had is license and reg and when asked do you know the reason for the stop and he said he was driving too fast...

The officer comes back and said why do I know you... have I given you ticket before, did I arrest you??? My friend said most of last year you were parked in front of the apartment house where I lived and each time you pulled someone over... the siren would wake up my new born twins...

The officer handed back his information, said sorry and told him to watch his speed... my friend asked for nothing fully expecting to be cited.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-12-2015 at 10:45 PM..

Old 06-13-2015, 12:59 AM

5 posts, read 3,323 times
Where's the justice?

Old 06-13-2015, 02:03 AM

575 posts, read 620,123 times
The white woman that was involved at the beginning of the fight was put on administrative leave at her job.

Some of the posters here should be careful.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,691,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheOrangeCat View Post
The white woman that was involved at the beginning of the fight was put on administrative leave at her job.

Some of the posters here should be careful.
We don't need to have the same fear. C-D is not social media.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:44 AM

26,208 posts, read 21,709,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
It was a dumb statement by the Principal, but he shouldn't have been fired. People should have the right to state their opinions without fear of reprisals. Otherwise our society breaks down into one group of people effectively being intimidated into silence. Not good.
this is simply not true, freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want and further it doesn't mean you can say whatever you want without consequences

Old 06-13-2015, 06:48 AM

26,208 posts, read 21,709,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Maybe those people are just not speaking out in fear that the social media mob will go after them and get them fired.

More truth than sarcasm in that statement.

You got that other teacher in Lubbock that just got fired.
Teaching elementary for 20 years..16 at that school.
No one speaking out trying to get her rehired.

Was that the teacher that said she was close to supporting segregation? And we should move blacks to one side of town so they could harm each other and leave us alone? If so that fourth grade teacher should no longer be teaching

Old 06-13-2015, 07:32 AM

16,764 posts, read 8,747,979 times
Wow, I was expecting for him to have been fired if he would have made some statement like "blacks kids are more unruly than other races and I know because I am a principle in an all black school" or worse. Instead he gets fired for making an innocuous comment supporting law enforcement

I will respond to you in red;

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
The officer was not in fear for his life.
In your opinion. Should you be fired for having such an opinion? Unless you are his twin brother, how could you possibly know what was running through his mind when he pulled his gun?

Most of the kids were running away from him.

Not until he took out his gun. That is likely why he did it, but again, I was not in his head to know exactly why.

And sorry bud but when you throw a teenage girl to the ground and stick your knees into the back of that teenager, you have lost my support.

While I have made a similar comment in another thread, it appears she was resisting his verbal commands. If you look at how he reacted to the other people he ordered to get on the ground when they complied, that is likely why he physically started to bring her to the ground. We probably both agree he wouldn't want his own daughter or wife to be treated that way, so he went overboard.

No one was attacking this officer, yet he drew is gun on a bunch of teenagers. There were other officers there who did not act like this. So I guess there lives where not in danger, huh.

True, and again we agree in principle. Yet police are not robots, so where one will feel threatened, another might not. Spit in one cops face and he will just wipe the spit away. D it to the next cop and he will crack your skull open.
So the cop in question might have seen the boys rushing toward him in the corner of his eye, maybe thought they were going to pull a weapon with his peripheral vision, and felt threatened. We don't know because again, we are not him.

The principal made a dumb statement,

This is mainly where we disagree. That is unless you mean generally that adults have no business playing around with social media like a bunch of narcissistic kids who feel compelled to express their feelings every time they take a dump.
However if you think his opinion is dumb because his differs from your, then we disagree. you and I mostly agree, but I can also agree with him generally that we should support LE. Unlike him or you, I just cannot assume his life was in danger, or not in danger because /I was not there, nor have I ever walked in his shoes. Maybe he was overwhelmed by several suspects in the past that we do not know about. We have both seen videos of such things happening to police, so if it has happened to him before, he might be more apprehensive.
The point is that neither the principal, you nor I know what was going on in the cops head. Still expressing his personal opinion like everyone else has been doing is not worthy of him losing his job, other than the general stupidity of adults posting on social media to begin with.

but as I said he should not have been fired.

Again we agree.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:52 AM

3,786 posts, read 4,137,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Miami Herald..he was reassigned and subsequently he resigned.

Miami-Dade schools remove principal after his post about police controversy | Miami Herald Miami Herald
In a brief statement, the district said employees are required to conduct themselves, both personally and professionally, in a manner that represents the school district’s core values. The district said a replacement would be named shortly and that Iber would be reassigned to administrative duties.

“Judgment is the currency of honesty,” said Superintendent of Schools Alberto Carvalho. “Insensitivity — intentional or perceived — is both unacceptable and inconsistent with our policies, but more importantly with our expectation of common sense behavior that elevates the dignity and humanity of all, beginning with children.”

The above statement by the schools superintendent is one of the primary reasons our children are not getting a good education. There is freedom of speech in schools only if you agree with the liberal viewpoint. Whatever happened to academic freedom? It still exists whenever a radical college professor trashes this country or Christians, but in high schools educators views are censored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events