Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 06:43 AM

995 posts, read 1,699,410 times

Advertisements

The whole thing is ridiculous. If a black principal posted something in support of these trash thug kids, nothing would happen.

The unintended consequence of all these recent incidents is that they are going to create a whole lot of new racists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 06:53 AM

733 posts, read 856,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
It was a dumb statement by the Principal, but he shouldn't have been fired. People should have the right to state their opinions without fear of reprisals. Otherwise our society breaks down into one group of people effectively being intimidated into silence. Not good.

We now have the Speak Police. The Thought Police are not far behind.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:13 AM

297 posts, read 295,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
There was zero logic to the analogy. Freedom of speech on a message board = freedom of speech in contact with a cop ? Dopey.
So American citizens are not granted freedom of speech when dealing with a police officer, but they are entitled to freedom of speech when writing on a message board or facebook? I must have missed this while reading the constitution.

Last edited by LovelyDay2016; 06-11-2015 at 07:21 AM..

Old 06-11-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
The whole thing is ridiculous. If a black principal posted something in support of these trash thug kids, nothing would happen.

The unintended consequence of all these recent incidents is that they are going to create a whole lot of new racists.
The police department that the officer worked in, found his actions to be inappropriate, but of course you still have the right to believe that his actions were appropriate.

Last edited by LovelyDay2016; 06-11-2015 at 07:51 AM..

Old 06-11-2015, 07:30 AM

13,938 posts, read 8,122,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
That`s likely true.

A couple of my co-workers still bring up the "fact" that Mike Brown was shot in cold blood. Obama? Best not say anything negative about him.

A buddy got into an argument with a co-worker about the Mike Brown shooting last year during a lunch break and a complaint of racial harassment was filed by the woman.

The guy didn`t lose his job but he caught grief from management after the woman cried foul because she didn`t agree with the man.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:33 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,089,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Should've never been fired if you ask me. The only thing this "taught" the community/students is that speech isn't quite free. It would have been one thing if the principle was engaging in behavior/making statements that actually had an adverse impact on the educational process, but that is not what happened here!
I don't think you are aware what free speech actually means, which is essentially that you are free from persecution by THE STATE, and the state only.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:37 AM

The problem is, many only see things in black and white (and I mean that literally). If you truly valued freedom of speech, you'd value it in all instances (even when it goes against your opinion or viewpoint). Although I dislike what the principal stated, I'll admit that under our constitution, he had the right to express his viewpoint, therefore he should not have been fired.

I however, wouldn't allow my child to attend a school where the principal expressed such views, because I believe those particular views are dangerous and grounded in bigotry.

I just find it interesting that many support his right to freedom of speech, but not the black teen girl's right to freedom of speech. But I shouldn't be surprised, because in truth, most Americans lack critical thinking skills.

Last edited by LovelyDay2016; 06-11-2015 at 07:47 AM..

Old 06-11-2015, 07:58 AM

15,829 posts, read 20,615,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
However, everything on Facebook and social media is NOT private. We are told to be careful what we post on social media and this is a good example of why.

That is why i don't have FB or post much on social media.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:05 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,769,764 times
I'm forbidden from announcing where I work on Facebook, because my company doesn't want my comments to look like any kind of official statement or endorsed by them in any way. I can be suspended or fired if I do. Don't make coworkers your Facebook friends.

This is not rocket science.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,636,755 times
This Principal's superintendent is the one that got caught not reporting school crime to the cops during the Trayvon Martin circus event. School crime by Black students dropped 60%. Not because they got a handle on it but because they didn't report it and let the students go.

No wonder he got so upset over the Principal's comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events