Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 08:42 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,987 times

Advertisements

Heroin Rising: One family's tragic story in the wake of a destructive drug | Local News - KTUU.com Anchorage

The USA is becoming a drugged country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 08:46 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,987 times
Default More people dying from Heroin than car crashes

Heroin's Death Toll Reaches Another Gruesome Landmark | Mother Jones

About all those legalize drug people.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:50 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,555,641 times
Lets ban it.

Oh wait...

Old 10-30-2015, 09:06 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Ive never known anyone that used heroin, but meth heads are everywhere here.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:20 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,801 times
When I was growing up you never heard much about heroin. We all thought it was a "70s drug." Now it's made a huge comeback. My theory as to why is due to doctors prescribing pain killers like candy for every little ache and pain. Some people abuse the pills, get hooked, and when they can no longer legally obtain them to feed their addiction, they then turn to the streets in which they usually end up turning to heroin due to the similar qualities it has with other opiates. More people in my state have died from accidental overdoses this past year, than car accidents.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:47 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,240,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
I always thought heroin was most popular in the northwest US which I guess technically Alaska is there.

Never knew anyone who fooled with that stuff but I am in Texas. Down here it is mostly meth for poor whites, crack for poor blacks, and weed for everyone.

Prescription drugs are huge in upper middle class white suburbs and in the upper class white urban areas. The vast majority of middle aged women are on anti depressants or anti anxiety drugs. It's almost like you fell asleep and woke up in the middle of a whacked out drug commercial.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:54 AM

422 posts, read 335,952 times
Have had a distant family members who used heroin, it is not in anyway a pretty site. From my experience with having a parent who abused, but got clean, it just spirals.....marijuana was good, then something heavier that felt even better, then more and more until it just consumes the person who has an addictive personality. You loose your life, your family everything.....very sad.....

Old 10-30-2015, 10:32 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
The vast majority of this is due to prescription narcotics/pain relievers (Oxycodone, etc). Anti-anxiety meds, anti-depressions meds, soft drugs like pot are not the problem. The problem took hold with the development of more advanced pain killers. Heroin works very similarly and binds to the same receptors as Oxy but is much cheaper. So when the doc stops writing refills, they turn to heroin. If you look at the folks it is affecting, they are not the same people who did heroin 30 years ago, they are housewives, lawyers, the guy who fixes your cable.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:37 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The vast majority of this is due to prescription narcotics/pain relievers (Oxycodone, etc). Anti-anxiety meds, anti-depressions meds, soft drugs like pot are not the problem. The problem took hold with the development of more advanced pain killers. Heroin works very similarly and binds to the same receptors as Oxy but is much cheaper. So when the doc stops writing refills, they turn to heroin. If you look at the folks it is affecting, they are not the same people who did heroin 30 years ago, they are housewives, lawyers, the guy who fixes your cable.

That is pretty much what I alluded to in post #4, but thank you for expanding on it. No, pot is not the problem, and yet we're still fighting a war on it. Of course, I think that house of cards is going to come down very soon. But, I don't want to deviate from the topic at hand, so I digress. I do disagree though on the anti-anxiety meds. They too are not easy to get off of. I've never taken them, but I know people who have, and the side effects for stopping suddenly can be quite unpleasant.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:38 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,960 times
Default More people dying from Heroin than car crashes

In the 1980s-90s when the U.S. invaded certain South and Central American countries who's major produce was growing and processing Coca leaves, Cocaine became the drug of choice.

When they invaded Afghanistan, whose major industry is Opium Poppies, Heroin became the drug of choice.

If we want more people to die in car crashes, we need to invade Japan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events