Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 12:10 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Becoming? Haha. We were there long ago. Let me remind you OP, there are far more prescription pill addicts than heroin addicts.
Exactly-heroin is making a comeback but only because of the real problem, which is PRESCRIPTION DRUGS.

1. Pharmaceuticals is the most profitable industry in the US.

2. Americans pay more for their prescription drugs than any other citizens in the World.

3. 70% of Americans are on at least 1 prescription-more than any other citizens in the World.

4. Americans make up 5% of the World population but consume 80% of World's painkillers.

5. The US is the only nation in the World where Pharmaceutical companies can advertise directly to the consumer. Pharmaceuticals is also the biggest advertiser on all mass media.

All the above statements are connected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 12:33 PM

1,077 posts, read 871,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Yes, cocaine was huge in the seventies. Folks didn't view it as dangerous and wealthy businesspeople used it to stay up. Being young and just starting out, I was quite startled by it.

Years ago it was called the rich man's habit.

For it only lasts a few minutes then one is out to buy some more and there is the vicious cycle.

Heroin is cheap and lasts for many hours.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:35 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,474,280 times
There's an epidemic in SoCal but honestly sometimes it's hard to tell them apart from people that smoke pot (smell obv.) both are mellow, or at least the heroin addicts I have encountered............the difference is their addiction is much stronger and you can die from an overdose pot you can't unless you eat too many edibles and even then you will just get sick. Heroin withdrawal can be deadly and causes addicts to commit crimes pot not nearly as addictive.

I have taken Oxy prescribed when I had serious lower back pain after a slip and fall on ice, and it's a dangerous drug that probably should have never been aloud to be mfg. and widely prescribed like it still is today.

Oxy is responsible for a lot of the heroin problem in this country but alas people don't want to hear the truth.

Big pharma makes big $$$$ and has lots of political clout.

Sad.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:13 PM

633 posts, read 640,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
So, not prohibition, then what?
Something approaching sane drug laws would be a good start.

Addicts need treatment, not prison time for nonviolent offenses. Simple possession should be no more than a fine and a trip to the local outpatient facility.

The heroin epidemic itself is fueled largely by vast overprescription of prescription painkillers. the US doles out more of these than anywhere else in the world by far. Scaling back the use of percoset/oxycontin/etc for everything would do quite a bit.

Also, in areas where marijuana has been legalized or decriminalized, abuse of prescription opioids drops significantly- and deaths from marijuana are pretty much zero.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:14 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think we have to stop over-prescribing opiate painkillers. There are other forms of pain management including therapy, TENS units/electrotherapy, meditation, all sorts of things...the problem is we have an assembly line health care system where the object is to get as many people in and out the door as fast as humanly possible, and the fact is the fastest, simplest method of pain management is simply to pop a pill.

I work in physical rehab, and we bring patients down to the gym and half the time they are too snowed on pain meds to even stay awake. I was supposed to see a woman in an ALF once to practice showers (she had been sick and had been bed bound for while and they wanted to know if she was still safe to shower alone) and I get to her apartment and she tells me the nurse just gave her morphine 20 minutes ago. Yeah, so let's go stand in the shower, that's real safe now.

Yes.

I called my doc to set up an appointment for back pain. Without ordering one x-ray or MRI, he asked if I needed a prescription for pain meds. I immediately said, "No. I can take OTC stuff. Let's figure out what's wrong."

I have addicts on both sides of my family - not taking any chances. I will not willingly take any narcotic.

I feel sorry for people who accidently become hooked due to some accident or surgery. It is one of my biggest fears.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:19 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times
The problem with illegal drugs in this country is that people are stupid enough to use them.

You can't fix stupid.

Don't see a need to discuss it.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:28 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,985,166 times
Heroin addiction is not a pretty thing. My brother has been using that for about 13 years now. We tried everything to get him help and he still denies that he uses to this date. He has stolen thousands of dollars off us, family and friends. I don't talk to him or live anywhere near him anymore but I know he still uses.

It all started with him hurting his back at work.... They prescribed some pain medication and it went downhill from there.

Before he turned into an addict , he was engaged , buying a house and was making well over 90k a year... He lost all of it....

Old 10-30-2015, 03:05 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
The problem with illegal drugs in this country is that people are stupid enough to use them.

You can't fix stupid.

Don't see a need to discuss it.
Never before have I seen a post that so perfectly summed up the term "brainwashed".

Topped off, of course, with a good dose of close-mindedness.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:18 PM

545 posts, read 594,155 times
I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for drug addicts. They should have thought about the consequences before they partake of the drug!!

Old 10-30-2015, 03:34 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Never before have I seen a post that so perfectly summed up the term "brainwashed".

Topped off, of course, with a good dose of close-mindedness.

Really. Illegal drugs just find their way into a person's body???

More miraculous than Jesus rising from the grave.

Explain exactly how people take illegal drugs but are not responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events