Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 07:27 AM

649 posts, read 571,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
As long as sharks don't evolve and grow wings, I'm sticking with jumping out of planes before I ever swim in the same place those things are looking for food.

I live close to the beach but rarely go because I'm terrified of sharks but I've been skydiving several times. My husband doesn't understand why I'm such a chicken when it comes to the water but I'm brave enough to jump out of a plane. I find the possibility of becoming lunch to a giant fish much scarier than smashing into the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 07:33 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,136,470 times
Bull sharks, right? They are mean, territorial, and spiteful. I've petted a nurse shark, a seven footer, but I would not approach a bull shark without my machete.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:07 PM

29,526 posts, read 22,708,719 times
And another one

Camp Lejeune Marine treated for shark bite off NC coast

Old 07-09-2015, 11:54 AM

2,015 posts, read 1,652,587 times
they should play the JAWS theme at these beaches.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:59 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,323,889 times
They should do like the guy did in TX to that alligator and KILL the darned things, or relocate them somewhere else. I used to live in that area, those are very popular beaches, entire livelihoods are based on the tourism and enjoyment of them. To tell people "stay out of the water"--no, you make the water safe for people to enjoy. That should be obvious. Yes, close the beaches, but close them AND hunt the things down, relocate them or whatever, and make the water safe for people to enjoy.

Heck, I don't even like the beach, other than the "scenery," because the salt water stings my eyes and makes you feel like you're swimming in your own sweat, but if I were a beach lover I wouldn't want to be told I couldn't enjoy it because of the sharks. I'd want the sharks relocated. There's plenty of ocean between NC and Europe for the sharks to do their thing. The beach is for the humans.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:09 PM

862 posts, read 520,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
They should do like the guy did in TX to that alligator and KILL the darned things, or relocate them somewhere else. I used to live in that area, those are very popular beaches, entire livelihoods are based on the tourism and enjoyment of them. To tell people "stay out of the water"--no, you make the water safe for people to enjoy. That should be obvious. Yes, close the beaches, but close them AND hunt the things down, relocate them or whatever, and make the water safe for people to enjoy.

Heck, I don't even like the beach, other than the "scenery," because the salt water stings my eyes and makes you feel like you're swimming in your own sweat, but if I were a beach lover I wouldn't want to be told I couldn't enjoy it because of the sharks. I'd want the sharks relocated. There's plenty of ocean between NC and Europe for the sharks to do their thing. The beach is for the humans.
Really?

Old 07-09-2015, 12:17 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,402,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

Forget relocating them. Just kill them.. It's a FISH FOR GOD SAKES! We fish all kinds of other species of fish for FUN! Bullsharks aren't even endangered. Just cull them. People's safety come before fish. People should be able to play at the beach in .00001% of the ocean. Forget this nonsense that it's "their environment". It's also the "tunas environment" yet we have no problem killing millions of tuna.

There are only 3 species of sharks that are responsible for almost all MAJOR attacks, the bull shark, the tiger shark, and the great white. This water is way too warm in NC and there are no seals in warm water like that so the culprit is obvious considering the severity of the bites(it's not a black tip). There are over 100 species of sharks mostly harmless to people. Clearly, the number of bull sharks is exploding. Thus you get more attacks. There are millions more people entering the water in NJ/NJ, yet no attacks. It's fairly obvious you have increased concentration of sharks in that area.

You've seen outbreaks of attacks so severe in places like Reunion island they had to ban people from surfing. Multiple attacks and fatalities per year. It's so crazy that a shark is now considered more important than a humans safety and their first response was to do a ban island wide of people entering the water rather than just going out with boats and killing the sharks.

Hell these shark nuts decided to fight against Australia netting it's beaches! They didn't want to see any sharks get "murdered"...A fish getting murdered....lmao. This program has been in place for decades in Australia and saves lives by reducing the number of sharks and attacks, yet these eco-nuts wanted them taken out.

There's so much lies put out there by people who want to "save sharks" and so much propoganda on the discovery channel and other "documentaries" it's sickening. Biggest lie out there is that the reason you had these attacks in NC is due more people at the beach. Total nonsense. Also, nonsense that sharks don't eat people and spit us out. They eat tires.(tiger sharks)

Last edited by mikelizard860; 07-09-2015 at 01:09 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 01:10 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,831,688 times
IMHO - Leave the sharks alone and unmolested. Close the water to humans stupid enough to want to swim with the sharks. I could care less if the landsharks living off the tourists are stressed. They can sell living by the ocean nearly as well as swimming in the ocean. Judging by the number of ugly condominiums along the shore of the outer banks they have done pretty well for themselves. I would rather see more sharks then more condos.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IMHO - Leave the sharks alone and unmolested. Close the water to humans stupid enough to want to swim with the sharks. I could care less if the landsharks living off the tourists are stressed. They can sell living by the ocean nearly as well as swimming in the ocean. Judging by the number of ugly condominiums along the shore of the outer banks they have done pretty well for themselves. I would rather see more sharks then more condos.
Should we leave tuna and other fish "unmolested"? We don't need fish to survive and it's "their environment" Right? Why do the sharks get special rights? Many NON-SHARK commercial species of fish are under much greater threat due to over-fishing than the bull-shark. The bull shark is plentiful. Why do they get a special bill of rights. Why does the one shark that attacks and kills and maims people get a pass and "should be left alone". Because propaganda on nature "documentaries" tells you so? Or are you for banning of all fishing? Remember, it's the fishes environment.

You're going to "close the water" in all of NC open ocean beaches? There's bull sharks all up and down the coast in North carolina. Not one spot. So no one should be allowed to go for a swim or a surf in the open ocean? Talk about ridiculous.

You're also calling these people "stupid" who got attacked just for going for a swim in the ocean. Wow. Really disgusting on your part.

We should ban people from the water just so we can save a few overpopulated near shore water bull and tiger sharks from being fished out of the water like every other species of fish that we regularly fish for?

Old 07-09-2015, 01:27 PM

Moral decay is so bad that now sharks are now considered more important than humans and children and families are called "stupid" for going to a public beach for a swim and blamed for their attack by some members on this forum.

It's a fish with no feelings and is not even close to endangered. It's population is exploding and thus why you see so many attacks. Just cull them please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events