Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 11:01 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times

Advertisements

This is from an article by the DailyCaller, they also have a top list of best colleges in which they rank the Univ. of Virginia at number one.

Here are the top 10 worst colleges in their view to go to in 2015:

10) St. John's Univ. in NY
9) Univ. of South Dakota
8) Univ. of Illinois at Chicago
7) State Univ. of NY at Purchase
6) Hampshire College
5) Seton Hall University
4) Pace University
3) Univ. of Wyoming
2) New Jersey Institute of Technology

and their number one is: Drexel University!

So, my question is, has anyone attended these colleges and if so, what was it like?

The 32 WORST Colleges In America | The Daily Caller

Now keep in mind that this is an ed/op piece, they rank things like "Student Hotness", cost of tuition, social life, locale, quality of professors, etc as their reasoning for coming up with this list. So, take it with a grain of salt.

Me personally, I went to an all girls school, on a sports scholarship, the very first year it went co-ed. 3000 girls and 65 guys. I was in HOG HEAVEN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 02:57 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I went to #8 UIC and couldn't disagree more.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:49 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
St John's? I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about it before. Some of these articles are just goofy.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:44 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times
Drexel is a school where you work hard, get a real education, and graduate with real-world skills and experience. Most schools which are impressive on a resume are impressive because of how hard it is to get in -- Drexel is one of those few places with a relatively low bar for admission but then turn around and produce quality (although you could argue not without merit that choosing to go there in and of itself is a screen). St. Johns is similar for pharmacy, NJIT for engineering.

This is practically a list of places where someone who goofed off in high-school but has ambition to do well for themselves in school SHOULD be looking at.

Last edited by ALackOfCreativity; 11-28-2015 at 07:55 PM..

Old 11-29-2015, 02:17 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
I went to school in the same town as Hampshire College. That place is the biggest spoiled rich hippie kid joke of a college. Everyone makes up their own major. I swear one kid majored in tree house building.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:50 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
My 2 year old son could come up with a better article with a better list.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:59 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
This was one of my professors at UIC. I wouldn't think a sub-par school would attract someone of his credentials. This list is a joke.

Robert Remini, House historian, dies - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Old 11-29-2015, 10:24 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Click bait. Nothing more.

Some highlights:

Quote:
The one — large — caveat about the colleges and universities on this list is that they certainly aren’t the lousiest schools from a purely academic standpoint.
Quote:
Many of the schools on this list have landed here because the social life is dreadful. The ability to have a good time around cool people is critical.
Quote:
A majority of the colleges and universities here — almost 60 percent — are located in just five populous, highly bureaucratic states.
Quote:
half a dozen schools on the list are public universities in big, square, Western states where ruggedness and rural life predominate.
Quote:
Note also that several schools here — almost 30 percent — generally emphasize science and engineering. That’s no coincidence. Students at engineering schools are notoriously unhappy with their heavy workloads and sometimes frustrated with their social lives. If they are unhappy, the odds are you’ll also be unhappy.
Also included are ads/links to some other erudite click-bait. Such thought provoking articles as:

Check out these Southerners having fun when they think no one is looking...

13 Things You Didn't Know About Gilligan's Island

Old 11-29-2015, 10:32 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
This is from an article by the DailyCaller, they also have a top list of best colleges in which they rank the Univ. of Virginia at number one.

Here are the top 10 worst colleges in their view to go to in 2015:

10) St. John's Univ. in NY
9) Univ. of South Dakota
8) Univ. of Illinois at Chicago
7) State Univ. of NY at Purchase
6) Hampshire College
5) Seton Hall University
4) Pace University
3) Univ. of Wyoming
2) New Jersey Institute of Technology

and their number one is: Drexel University!

So, my question is, has anyone attended these colleges and if so, what was it like?

The 32 WORST Colleges In America | The Daily Caller

Now keep in mind that this is an ed/op piece, they rank things like "Student Hotness", cost of tuition, social life, locale, quality of professors, etc as their reasoning for coming up with this list. So, take it with a grain of salt.

Me personally, I went to an all girls school, on a sports scholarship, the very first year it went co-ed. 3000 girls and 65 guys. I was in HOG HEAVEN!
Seton Hall and NJIT are both good schools, they're just located in terrible areas. South Orange and Newark, NJ, respectively. Seton Hall is so dangerous the kids get "Pirate Alerts" alerting them to armed robberies and carjackings and robberies and such in the area or even on campus. They're often told not to leave their dorms when nearby incidents occur. And Newark just speaks for itself. I guess location weighed heavily for those two. Drexel is also in a very bad part of Philly.

I'm also confused as to why Pace is on this list.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:56 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This was one of my professors at UIC. I wouldn't think a sub-par school would attract someone of his credentials. This list is a joke.

Robert Remini, House historian, dies - tribunedigital-chicagotribune
Probably because he went to only Fordham (where Mr. Trump attended before transferring to UPenn). Otherwise, he would have been teaching at a better school.

I noted that the Professor was "tapped by former House Speaker Denis Hastert." Disturbing.

Nah, I am just teasing you. UIC grads I know are pretty smart dudes.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events