Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2016, 08:42 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,455,325 times

Advertisements

Josh Duggar is officially out of the manual labor facility the Gothard followers call treatment. It will be interesting to see if he attends outpatient treatment and couples therapy now in AR as should happen. Six months with no real treatment does not "fix" anything.

Why even announce it? I understand locals are a little less patient with all the disturbances this family creates.

EXCLUSIVE: Josh Duggar Exits Rehab After More Than 6 Months

I'd keep my daughters away from him.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 08:44 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,012,352 times
Inpatient "treatment"

Old 03-09-2016, 08:50 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,914,456 times
And the moral of the story is. . . . .

White 'Christian' guy with money & massive issues and illegal things that he did in the past, gets to go to manual labor treatment.

Anybody else would be in prison.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Inpatient "treatment"
Oxymoron noted! Good one JerseyGirl

Real inpatient treatment for sex offenders does exist; however, that requires individual, couples and group psychotherapy. Additionally, there are classes in impulse control and pleothysmographs, to measure arousal, at standard treatment points. Often medication is added too.

If someone reading this has a child, spouse, S.O. or anyone you know who has sexually violated others, theregardless is real treatment available. Part is letting the legal system do what needs done, which could be jail, prison and absolutely parole, with ongoing treatment. If you love someone enough you can let them accept the consequences for their actions and fall probably to the lowest point in their life, there are professionals and programs to help.

I don't approve of or endorse any Gothard program or any program that doesn't use trained and licensed mental health experts trained to work with sex offenders. Outpatient treatment is available too, if the person is a low enough risk, during treatment.

MSR

Old 03-09-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post

White 'Christian' guy with money & massive issues and illegal things that he did in the past, gets to go to manual labor treatment.

Agreed! And possibly the parents would have been consequences as well. Anywhere else, where the dad isn't a state senator who wanted to run for the U.S. Congress (Or did and failed), there was incredible protection of both the son and parents.

I think your post is a good, strong statement, Skydive Outlaw. For me, I'll add I have no issue if a person is religious or not. Prayer can help many people in different ways. For some, while praying for their victims and knowing they will be dealing with sexual abuse and sex addiction their entire life, prayer is where that first breakthrough happens. Those who opt to pray still have to do all the other steps like anyone else. Prayer can add to a treatment plan, but never replace it!!

Had this man not have had a father with political connections, local police and other LEO connections, a religion that teaches women are there only to please their husbands, they are not an equal partner in a marriage and in some states, the color of one's skin or spelling of a name may increase who is incarerated, where I am, the last two aren't factors. But I want to acknowledge that may not be happening in every state. Nor are women who have sexually abused or have sexual addiction. Some states still don't prosecute females and that must happen. Where I am, a free ongoing addictions group exists not only for males, but females too.

Thanks Skydive Outlaw. I hope you'll contribute more

MSR

Old 03-09-2016, 10:00 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,012,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Oxymoron noted! Good one JerseyGirl

Real inpatient treatment for sex offenders does exist; however, that requires individual, couples and group psychotherapy. Additionally, there are classes in impulse control and pleothysmographs, to measure arousal, at standard treatment points. Often medication is added too.

If someone reading this has a child, spouse, S.O. or anyone you know who has sexually violated others, theregardless is real treatment available. Part is letting the legal system do what needs done, which could be jail, prison and absolutely parole, with ongoing treatment. If you love someone enough you can let them accept the consequences for their actions and fall probably to the lowest point in their life, there are professionals and programs to help.

I don't approve of or endorse any Gothard program or any program that doesn't use trained and licensed mental health experts trained to work with sex offenders. Outpatient treatment is available too, if the person is a low enough risk, during treatment.

MSR
True and I agree, but I wonder how effective programs are for most offenders? Are you talking pedophiles or just your run of the mill rapist/perv (not that they're any better)?

I think part of the problem for Josh and all the Duggar kids is that they're very oppressed and have no privacy. All the boys share one large bedroom with no separations, same with all the girls. You have kids ranging in age from 5 to 25 sharing a room (AFAIK oldest daughter still lives at home). The kids were all homeschooled and for anyone who's seen the show for five minutes, only seem to hang out with each other, other family, or other families who are just like them - there is a family they are close friends with named the Bates who also have like a dozen+ kids. So the Duggar kids probably never got the change to be typical kids, preteens, and teens and explore themselves or anyone else sexually. They don't have the chance to, and they are probably strongly discouraged from doing so anyway. I can only imagine what type of deviance the Duggars list masturbation or exploration of their own or another's body (with consent) is.

While I of course think what Josh did to his sisters and the other girl was totally despicable and that he should have been punished more harshly/sent to a TRUE treatment center, I also blame the parents, his upbringing, and their fundie religion. It's quite sad - for all the kids - when you really think about their situation.

And it scares me that Josh has daughters. His "deviance" if you will did not end at 14 when it began. Cheating on his wife on that gross website proves that. In their version of their religion, cheating is a huge sin, so while many who are not fundies may consider it bad and sh*tty but something that happens often, to them it's pretty bad.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
True and I agree, but I wonder how effective programs are for most offenders? Are you talking pedophiles or just your run of the mill rapist/perv (not that they're any better)?

I think part of the problem for Josh and all the Duggar kids is that they're very oppressed and have no privacy. All the boys share one large bedroom with no separations, same with all the girls. You have kids ranging in age from 5 to 25 sharing a room (AFAIK oldest daughter still lives at home). The kids were all homeschooled and for anyone who's seen the show for five minutes, only seem to hang out with each other, other family, or other families who are just like them - there is a family they are close friends with named the Bates who also have like a dozen+ kids. So the Duggar kids probably never got the change to be typical kids, preteens, and teens and explore themselves or anyone else sexually. They don't have the chance to, and they are probably strongly discouraged from doing so anyway. I can only imagine what type of deviance the Duggars list masturbation or exploration of their own or another's body (with consent) is.

While I of course think what Josh did to his sisters and the other girl was totally despicable and that he should have been punished more harshly/sent to a TRUE treatment center, I also blame the parents, his upbringing, and their fundie religion. It's quite sad - for all the kids - when you really think about their situation.

And it scares me that Josh has daughters. His "deviance" if you will did not end at 14 when it began. Cheating on his wife on that gross website proves that. In their version of their religion, cheating is a huge sin, so while many who are not fundies may consider it bad and sh*tty but something that happens often, to them it's pretty bad.
Actually, some of the issues are different for those who sexually abuse children (including males) vs. Rapists. Rapist usually start their treatment in Prison. Rapists need to deal with certain behaviors first. Incarceration helps some, not all.

I agree with all that you wrote above plus much more. What is additionally sickening is a revised version of their old show is being filmed now.

I think Quiverfull treats women as subservant, third class citizens. After all, their only purpose in life is to meet their husband's sexual needs and produce as many children as possible.

You're right about normal things kids do. The girls don't attend college, in Quiverfull the older children raise the younger ones. They get GED's and are taught the husband knows all. You are right, they do only socialize with those with similar beliefs, though some may have more self control sexually than their parents.

There, of course, are many blogs and sites about them. I learned a lot at one named Free Jinger, in honor of the daughter those who maintain that site thought could break free and experience freedom and a separate life. The abuse was alleged from locals who lived in their area for years. It took all the events of last year for more rumors to be explored.

Reportedly, from Free Jinger and other sites, a different teenage son was caught masturbating. His punishment I've kind of forgotten, but something like having both hands tied together for days. The TLC film crew saw that first hand, not because they are perps, but a younger brother walked into the bathroom and caught one of the older brothers masturbating. The younger sibling reportedly screamed, so the TLC crew and others all ran upstairs to find out what was wrong as they thought someone was injured.

TLC, while not responsible for Josh sexually abusing his sisters and the other girl, does have some responsibility here. They've seen neglected and mistreated children and never filed a complaint with Law Enforcement or CPS. One TLC staffer was fired for being gay. Those are not the same thing in anyway, but my point is TLC knew a lot for years and did nothing. Also, the parents didn't want a gay crew member near their kids, though he had helped film them for a couple of years. Now TLC is putting a revised version of their cash cow back on the air, when they didn't report what they knew, and after the many chapters of Josh unraveled last year. A lot of us here and elsewhere wrote complaints to TLC and their 20 sponsors. We might have to again.

MSR

Old 03-10-2016, 03:16 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,513,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post

Only if charges were filed and he was found guilty. That's the problem. These Gothard followers protected him. Too bad they weren't there for the girls.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:59 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,226,231 times
thats because the girls have no rights in that family.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
thats because the girls have no rights in that family.
I totally agree with TXNGL and shortel.

I hope you will both post more

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events