Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 02:48 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,656,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I am a progressive or liberal or whatever you want to call it, and I don't support a "ban" on the confederate battle flag, of nothing else on the grounds of free speech. however, I don't think that it's appropriate to fly the flag at public institutions like the state house considering it's the battle flag of a rebellion, one that was long ago quashed and surrendered unanimously.

If private businesses decide that they want to stop or start carrying the flag then I obviously have no issue with it. Their choice. Blame the free market.

As far as the issue of white on black crime goes and how it pertains to these shootings, of course I don't like black on white violence, and I don't appreciate the whitewashing (no pun intended) of these crimes, or the media's ignoring of white or Latino people, or even black women, suffering from police brutality. These are certainly problems that need to be addressed.

However, I don't think it's a stretch to figure that a drug-addicted repeat offender who happens to be black and kills a white person in the process of robbing them did so not because they had any intention of inciting a race war or sending a message to white america, so much as they wanted money. It's a separate but certainly real problem.

Dylann Roof had very specific intentions and comitted a very specific crime to this end. It's not difficult to understand.
Good points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 03:03 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,629,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I've always found it strange that some southerners seem to love that confederate battle flag more than the stars and stripes.
It's not strange really though! They are clinging to a War that they lost over 150 years ago. as for the reason to go after the Confederate flag? He burned the American flag and used the Confederate flag to exspouse his racial hatred.
'nuff said.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:32 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Arrow Sales of Confederate Flags Soar

Nothing surprising about this.

Confederate Flag Sales Soar Despite Populist Removal Of Merchandise | Zero Hedge

Old 06-24-2015, 04:12 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,040,328 times
I think of far more importance than some old flag is the fact that we have yet another killer taking drugs.

They might get the flag removed from public places but removing entirely is not gonna happen. Its fairly common to see in the South.

The irony of stereotyping someone as racist for flying the confederate flag is not lost upon me.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:32 AM

316 posts, read 214,713 times
Flags don't kill. It's like trying to blame Marilyn Manson for the Columbine shootings. Songs don't kill. The Columbine shooters, the Oregon mall shooter, the Colorado movie shooter, none of them carried a confederate flag. If flags cause this problem, why is there no flap over rap songs that incite violence against women, cops, or other groups. It's all too easy and convenient to blame something and ignore the real issue-lunatics with guns. BTW No one wins wars. "War What is it good for?Absolutely nothin'"

Old 06-24-2015, 05:18 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times
I just hope those flags are manufactured in the USA and not China.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:39 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,085,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
That's just a gross thought that is now stuck in my head............Bruce in a Prius
Oh, but you're OK with the short shorts and the halter-top? It's the Prius that makes you gag? LOLOLOL

Old 06-24-2015, 05:43 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
American's are silly sometimes. They don't like the southern battle flag because it symbolizes "rebellion". Yet our country was founded on rebellion. Isn't that contradictory. But the flag is a nonissue. It gives people something to focus on instead of the real problems. A long list of preferences for black Americans,(which makes some people of other races resentful) the deterioration of the black community, and the undeniable racism of all people towards others not like themselves.

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Jason View Post
The shooter basically fell for the same Yankee revisionist history and racist propaganda that a lot of ignorant people have fallen for.
I'm from the South. The only revisionist history is that the flag represents "heritage not hate."

To the OP - Here in New England, most of my friends and colleagues are shocked that the flag still exists in any official capacity in 2015. Can't say that I blame or disagree with them. That's the source of the outrage - how can a symbol resurrected by the KKK and made official by several states in the 50s and 60s as a response to the Civil Right Movement still be accepted in a decent society?

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
They like to ban stuff and they like to "shame" people, and when a national tragedy like this happens it's a perfect opportunity to do both. Some people live for this sort of thing. While a nation mourns these folks are high fiving each other in the background while crying crocodile tears for the cameras.

Never let a crisis(or tragedy) go to waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events