Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 03:12 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,051,652 times

Advertisements

Oregon Medicaid covers sex-reassignment for 15-year-olds: report - Washington Times

So you have to be 18 to buy cigarettes, vote, join the military, etc but in the great state of Oregon you are mature enough to decide to undergo elective surgery for a sex change without parental consent. Hey, they will even pay for it.

Way to go Oregon. Your gonna start making Cali look like a backwater hillbilly town in the Arkansas Ozarks.

If I lived in Oregon I would be on the warpath making sure politicians reversed this or start electing one that will. Else, I would move out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 03:58 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,158,282 times
I agree with you in a sense, and my comment isnt about sex change itself, however -

a 15 year old gets a sex change now, and when they are 21, desides they were too young to make the choice the state allowed them to make, as a minor, and even paid for for them - lawsuit time fellas!

I wonder what the State has prepared to protect its citizens and tax-payers from this happening?

Im very depressed because, although Im aging, the wrinkles and skin spots Im acquiring are making me want to hurt somebody - most likely myself. I am a youthful spirit trapped in a sagging and depreciating body. Will they pay for me to get lazered from head-to-toe too?

A youthful spirit is a terrible thing to waste.

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 07-11-2015 at 04:15 AM..

Old 07-11-2015, 06:47 AM

20,135 posts, read 16,242,226 times
Too young.
Quote:
Critics warned two years ago that Ria’s tender years meant she was too young to make the decision to become a woman.

Last night child psychologist Karen Sherr, formerly of Great Ormond Street Hospital, said: “It’s absolutely *ludicrous for young kids to make such huge, life-changing decisions... and for doctors and their parents to support it.

“At that age you haven’t developed fully, neither physically nor *emotionally. You’re still exploring your *sexuality and you don’t know how you might end up.

“Children need to be allowed to grow into adults before they go through with something like a sex change because, as this case shows, at that age you don’t know yourself well enough.”
Britain's youngest sex-swap patient wants to go back to being a BOY - Mirror Online
Britain's Youngest Sex Change Patient Wants To Go Back To Being A Boy

Old 07-11-2015, 11:18 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,562,194 times
I agree this is a terrible decision. Even some adults have regretted a sex change operation. Think about the issue with an underage teen?

Old 07-11-2015, 11:51 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,787,625 times
I'm surprised this is something that works _during_ puberty...?

Old 07-11-2015, 01:42 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,942,598 times
Does anyone here really believe 15 yo kids will be flocking in for this in droves? And I seriously doubt that they will be allowed to walk in, sign some papers, and led into the surgery room. Does Oregon even have a doctor that performs these operations?

Old 07-11-2015, 01:42 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,269,206 times
Did anyone fact-check this?

Old 07-11-2015, 02:00 PM

922 posts, read 1,154,057 times
Gender Spender : snopes.com

Old 07-11-2015, 03:21 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,562,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post

Thanks for the link it appears they are claiming a misunderstanding of the facts has occurred and that they have revised some of the wording since then but here is a quote from the article :

"Updating Oregon’s policy and bringing it into line with current major international treatment guidelines, the Health Evidence Review Commission (HERC) has voted to move gender dysphoria into the covered portion of the Prioritized List with the publication of the next biennial review List. Services already approved for this new, covered line include psychotherapy, medical visits, and medications to suppress puberty in gender questioning youth."

That sounds very unhealthy to me. There are rumors they used those type of hormone drugs in the past on female gymnastic team competitors in many countries to keep them small and childlike so they could continue to compete and not develop into grown woman . It sounds like a bad idea.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:00 PM

981 posts, read 1,625,227 times
As a trans woman with experience on this, I can personally attest it is extremely important to reach these decisions early in life because a lot of the changes that occur with puberty are non-reversible. Most trans people do NOT regret their operations. And to say they do is either ignorance or a blatant lie to paint trans people in a negative light. Most issues stemming with transitioning come not internally, but externally having to grapple with a society that heavily discriminates against trans people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events