Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 10:27 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

This is just horrible.

Six churches with predominantly Black congregations have burned since the attack in Charleston.
Three have been confirmed as arson, the others are under investigation.

Charlotte Among The Cities Last Week Where Black Churches Were Burned

And if that isn't bad enough:

"As African Americans in Texas and North Carolina contemplate rebuilding three more churches destroyed by fire, a phalanx of federal investigators moves across the South, searching for evidence linking the latest attacks to the burning of 29 other black churches in the last 18 months."

America's Long History of Black Churches Burning - latimes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 10:30 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
If confirmed as arson; stipulate the use of state funds to rebuild them and these racist azzhats would be brought to justice overnight.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:03 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
I dont trust the SPLC. I have seen them outright lie. As far as I read, there are no suspects or motives. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that white people are running around the South burning black churches. If these were indeed arson, modern forensics should be able to track down the arsonists and put them in jail where they belong.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:17 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I dont trust the SPLC. I have seen them outright lie. As far as I read, there are no suspects or motives. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that white people are running around the South burning black churches. If these were indeed arson, modern forensics should be able to track down the arsonists and put them in jail where they belong.
Ok so do you believe the Washington Post Five predominantly black Southern churches burn within a week; arson suspected in at least three - The Washington Post

or..NPR?

Investigators Probe Fires At 6 Black Churches In 5 Southern States : NPR

Old 07-01-2015, 06:38 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
What's that have to do with the fact that black churches are going up in flames almost every other night? I mean, aside from an attempt to distract from the glaringly obvious fact that black churches are being intentionally targeted by flailing away at the SLPC strawman?

Gee, look, another just last night:
South Carolina church fire: Mt. Zion AME church burns - CNN.com

So let me get this straight. You think church arsons are so common as to happen numerous times weekly. You also think it is statistically normal for them to all happen in the same part of the country (the South) and to all happen to that minority of churches that are black churches? Never taken a stats class, have you? (not that special academic instruction is necessary to see such an obvious an out of the ordinary trend)

By the way, the church that burned last night? It was opened in 1996, a year after... it was burned down by the KKK as part of a spate of burnings of black churches across the South in 1995. Let me guess - more coincidence, right?

Old 07-01-2015, 06:42 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,037,926 times
0 white churches burned.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:45 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
....Never taken a stats class, have you? (not that special academic instruction is necessary to see such an obvious an out of the ordinary trend)

By the way, the church that burned last night? It was opened in 1996, a year after... it was burned down by the KKK as part of a spate of burnings of black churches across the South in 1995. Let me guess - more coincidence, right?
I'm guessing that otherwise, you would be against using "stats class" to predict if a particular race was going to commit crime.

The two most important lines from the article you linked, you don't seem to pay any mind to.
"Anytime there is a house of worship involved in a fire, ATF is automatically assigned to look into the cause," said ATF Special Agent Tom Mangan.
As yet, authorities do not know what caused it, said Williamsburg County Fire Chief Randy Swinton.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:58 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
As noted, another one last night.

I wonder, how many have to burn before people are as outraged by this as they are about the "ISIS cake."

Old 07-01-2015, 07:26 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
What's that have to do with the fact that black churches are going up in flames almost every other night? I mean, aside from an attempt to distract from the glaringly obvious fact that black churches are being intentionally targeted by flailing away at the SLPC strawman?

Gee, look, another just last night:
South Carolina church fire: Mt. Zion AME church burns - CNN.com

So let me get this straight. You think church arsons are so common as to happen numerous times weekly. You also think it is statistically normal for them to all happen in the same part of the country (the South) and to all happen to that minority of churches that are black churches? Never taken a stats class, have you? (not that special academic instruction is necessary to see such an obvious an out of the ordinary trend)

Goodness yes. It's just a coinky-dink. No biggie.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:37 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
If confirmed as arson; stipulate the use of state funds to rebuild them and these racist azzhats would be brought to justice overnight.
Churches are tax-exempt. They are not entitled to taxpayer funds. That is what insurance is for.

Al Sharpton has been known to commit fraud to push his agenda. How do we know that blacks are not burning down their own churches to get attention?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events