Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 11:25 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Class C fireworks AKA consumer fireworks can have some really large mortars. If you lit in on your head in the tube even if it went up in the air like it should it's still going to be like someone hitting you with a bat. Not very smart.

This is class C and about the largest you can get without a license. About half of it is powder to propel it into the air.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 11:35 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
Church massacre? Several School Shootings? Theater Massacre?
But that would immediately make the national news. This didn't.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:36 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
I'm trying to conceive of how a person "accidentally" lights an incendiary explosive device on top of their head. If you hold up a powerful firework onto the top of your head with one hand, the only way you are going to "light it up" and have it be set off and explode is by holding a flame to its igniting thread or string with your other hand. How does one accomplish this lighting-up "accidently"?
They have a protective piece of rubber or something like that covering the fuse tip, they aren't that easy to light. You have to hold lighter on it for a second or two.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:46 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
I'm trying to conceive of how a person "accidentally" lights an incendiary explosive device on top of their head. If you hold up a powerful firework onto the top of your head with one hand, the only way you are going to "light it up" and have it be set off and explode is by holding a flame to its igniting thread or string with your other hand. How does one accomplish this lighting-up "accidently"?
I suspect he was doing hey-look-at-me "pretending" to set it off to gain the attention of people who were equally intoxicated.

Instead of someone saying, "Oh, good grief, put that down before you hurt yourself," I suspect they egged him on. I'm surprised theres's not a YoutTube video.

My favorite part of the story was how they didn't take the poor man to the hospital as there was nothing to take.

Gawdalmighty.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:34 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,078,179 times
Dumba$$

Old 07-07-2015, 12:40 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,118,859 times
Some female posters: what a dummy --> oh, wait, he's kinda cute --> what a shame --> could've happened to anyone.

Of course, men do the same, too.

Mick

Old 07-07-2015, 01:32 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,288,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Some female posters: what a dummy --> oh, wait, he's kinda cute --> what a shame --> could've happened to anyone.

Of course, men do the same, too.

Mick
Preeeeeety sure that's was cute.

I know we all do dumb things, but goodness... I feel bad for his family.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:16 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times
Dumb, dumber, and dead!

I feel bad for the family, but someone should have said, you've had enough buddy, and take the fireworks and beer away from him.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:02 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,086,102 times
Quote:
Here's your answer:

Quote:
Cody Staples, told the Boston Herald that Devon thought it was a dud and put the mortar to his head as a joke. It then exploded, Christopher said:

We’re thinking he was just waving his lighter around just joking and he might have caught part of it and just lit it wrong. The pressure from the explosion that was supposed to be 50 feet in the air, exploded directly above his head. It did not take it off. It made a ‘whump’ sound, like a failed explosion.
It appears that he already lit it and it didn't do anything, so he put the lit "dud" on his head and that's when it exploded. Wow, obviously not a smart move.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:14 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
In looking at these photos of that guy, he doesn't seem like a bad person or even stupid. He was an actor at Disney World. It looks as if he had too much to drink, and then did something that went horribly wrong and got him killed. Tragic for everyone involved.

Devon Staples died in Maine on July 4 after firing firework from top of his head | Daily Mail Online
Poor guy. Yes, apparently he played Gaston at Disney World. I met Gaston last year, so I had to go back and look at my photos to make sure it wasn't the same guy. Luckily it wasn't because that would've made our photos together less funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events