Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 03:26 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Let's change focus on the South, and let's hear about MODERN accomplishments in the South for Southerners to be proud of. Restrict to the period for the last 25 years -- 1990 to the present ONLY. Don't bring up things like the weather or the climate...that's not an accomplishment.

The purpose here is to modernize Southern pride. Remember, this particular forum is CURRENT evetns.
South as in where, exactly? There seems to be disagreement on where the South is. I will assume you mean the US, however, because you didn't even specify that for sure. For all I know, you could be talking about South India, South Africa, or South America. I'd go with cooking. Nothing beats Southern Pulled Pork People here are generally nice and care about others. There is more of a brusque attitude in residents of the Northern climes. I have lived in different areas of the country, and I have noticed these attitudinal shifts geographically. It's less expensive to live here, and that's a plus. As for it being progress, the cost of living has not increased as quickly as I think it has in the northern states. And jobs, jobs, and more jobs are to be had everywhere. If you're in the oil business, TX and OK are the places to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 04:06 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,020,453 times
Why must the South prove it's a good place?? Those who hate the South and the Southerners that live there will not be happy with it unless all Southerners act cowed and subservient. Nope. Not going to participate in something which, once again, makes it seem as though the South is somehow wrong, backwards, or whatever negative stereotype you want to insert here and how we must prove we're not those negative things. I'm tired of it.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:48 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,002 times
you know the south is the hell hole of the world with the heat, and stupid people, so you was thinking of moving here, thats ok, try some where else, you be more happy

Old 07-11-2015, 04:48 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,611,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Sorry but if it wasn't for OIL Texas would be Oklahoma or Arkansas.
There's a hell of a lot more in Texas than just oil.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:13 PM

14,938 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
What a sick twisted post. I bet the black military personnel from the south wouldn't give a whatever and thanking that racist rag.
Then I guess you don't know any black military personnel ( or retired black military personnel) from the south.....

Old 07-11-2015, 05:50 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,380,171 times
Default Consistency with history

One great thing about the South. If we want to know exactly how people in the South thought about society and blacks 200 years ago, we don't need to scour the history books to read about it, we merely need to look at the present day. Consistency of thought has been passed down through the generations, for centuries.

Thank you, South, for being an ever-present beacon for where this country needs to move away from.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:43 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,720,749 times
I am a Yankee, by birth. My family roots lie in Scotland and Darien, GA. I am very proud of that and i don't need any modernization double talk to feel perfectly at home there.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:59 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,470,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Our economies booming. How's yours up north ?

No riots in our cities, how about yours up north ?

Our states not bankrupt, how's yours up north ?

Want to buy some oil and gas to put in your car? We have plenty.

I can easily and legally carry a gun for defense. How about you up north ?

High taxes a problem ? Ours are pretty reasonable.
Texas is only 'the South' when it is convenient for them! LOL.

“I don’t want to oversimplify any interpretive theme but I really subscribe to the idea that the notion of Texas as a Western state, when you really boil it down to its essence, it’s really been part and parcel of what is now a hundred-years-and-running effort to escape what C. Vann Woodward called ‘the burden of Southern history,’” says Cantrell.

LOL. LOVE this article.

Is Texas Southern, Western, or Truly a Lone Star? | Texas Monthly

Last edited by tangelag; 07-11-2015 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: clarify

Old 07-11-2015, 07:01 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm originally from California, but I have lived in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia and the Atlanta burbs. I've also spent a lot if time in Nashville and have travelled in Alabama, Mississippi and Florida. I love the New South. It's my favorite region. Like another poster mentioned, it's nice to see a large middle class black community. The economy in many areas is strong. The food is good, the weather is agreeable - it's green, not brown like out west. Racists are dying out. Even as a liberal I get along just fine. The stereotypes about the South don't really reflect the current situation.
I agree I found out as well especially cities like Nashville and Atlanta. Still not a fan of the "rural south" but the southern cities are amazing.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:14 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,470,187 times
"Southern music - jazz, blues country, early rock, you name it, in American music the South is where it originated, even if it moved to New York or LA or Chicago later. I am not Southern but if I had to listen only to Southern music for the rest of my life, I'd be fine."

Here's the thing: Many are quick to 'claim' these 'accomplishments' while at the same time denigrating those who created them/had a major influence in creating them! This is so wrong!

Another example, 'Southern Cuisine'.

These accomplishments, whether they came to be long ago or in recent history, are the result of many people of many backgrounds.

When more (ALL) accept and promote the importance of a diverse group creating this country, north, south, east, west, then we will ALL be in a better place.

That is what America is supposed to be.

Last edited by tangelag; 07-11-2015 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: add quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events