Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2015, 08:58 AM

16,604 posts, read 8,619,550 times

Advertisements

The Snake was one of those rare players who just seemed calm, cool and collected under pressure. Even back when he played for Bear Brant in Alabama, he never got rattled.

Of course as a Oakland Raider quarterback, he was involved in some of the most exciting games in NFL history. They were so great that many of them took on names to describe what happened, such as the "Sea Of Hands" where he threw the winning touchdown pass to Clarence Davis, to end the Miami Dolphins attempt at a 3rd straight Super Bowl title.
For those who don't remember, he was being tackled by his legs and deliver the pass as he was being brought to the ground. Clarence Davis, with 3 defenders around him was hit right in the hands surrounded by six other set of hands trying to stop the pass.
He was involved on the losing end of the "Immaculate Reception" where he had scored the previous possession having scrambled and slithered his way into the endzone.
He came up with a play on the fly he called "The Ghost to the Post" where he and his tight end devised and executed a great play. It was with TE Dave Casper (aka The Ghost) and it helped to keep them alive to ultimately make another miracle comeback.
He was also involved in the "Holy Roller" to where he intentionally fumbled the ball forward, then it was re-fumbled forward by Pete Banazak, ultimately into the hands of Dave Casper in the endzone for one of the most improbable plays in league history. The NFL actually made a rule prohibiting the practice because of that very play.
Then again the Raiders of the 70'2 & 80's were responsible for many rule changes as they were always looking for an way to "Just Win Baby". They were like a pirate ship coming to plunder, with Ken Stabler being their perfect swashbuckling captain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=319&v=6uIdMEn9Jfg

He will be greatly missed by all football fans whether they loved or hated the Raiders.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 11:40 AM

Hey, isn't there any love for Stabler in CE instead of all the racial animus and talk of grievances

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbca0EncfW4

`

Old 07-11-2015, 11:56 AM

922 posts, read 1,149,705 times
Real fans would've known he died 3 days ago.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:15 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Stabler was one of my favorite players.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post

Great contribution newbie. Go crawl back under whatever rock you came from.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:26 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post
good point

Old 07-13-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
good point
Good point you say, and you have been here since 2008?

Whether I posted the very day he died or a few days later is really irrelevant to the subject at hand. No one else had posted about his passing from what I could tell, so when I had the time I did. Yet some newbie doesn't contribute anything to the subject, makes a snide negative comment, and you wish to back it up?
Pretty pathetic even if you are just trying to build a post count or some other dumb reason.

Did it ever dawn on you that I had either not heard when he died, or when I did, that I didn't have time to rush to the CE forum to post it?
Yet some person wants to make a negative comment and a few days later you take the time to give them a thumbs up for it.
Which is worse, being a few days late to give a tribute/props to someone who passed, or someone a few days later wanting to post approval of a negative comment

Old 07-13-2015, 08:51 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,554,110 times
I'm Huge Raider Fan. We lost a family member and a good man last week.
R.I.P Kenny and thank you for the memories And, Beating the Steelers multiple times in the 70's

Old 07-13-2015, 09:15 AM

18,221 posts, read 25,868,606 times
Football mod checking in here. There is a thread I started in the pro football forum on Stabler when I heard the news on the NFL Channel but will make a couple points here.

In the "Immaculate Reception" game (Raiders vs. Steelers) most people who were only kids at the time and are in their 30's and 40's now identify about Franco Harris. If THAT ball hadn't bounced in Franco's direction I would GUARANTEE you that the topic of conversation would be about Ken Stabler. I remember that game well. Raider qb Daryle Lamonica was really struggling and in the third quarter Madden replaced him with Stabler. Stabler got the Raiders points on the board with a thirty yard run for a touchdown. No "immaculate reception?" It would have been Raiders vs. Dolphins for the AFC Championship. That 30 yard run pretty much made up Al Davis' and John Madden's mind regarding who should be the starting quarterback for the Raiders in the future.

Like Vector1 pointed out Stabler was cool under pressure. He would throw a "pick 6" in the 4th quarter and turn around and beat you at the very end of the game. You could not intimidate him. I remember him taking a beating on sacks but would get right back up and go full tilt. He had a special bond with his teammates, particularly his offensive line. And he had the respect of the opposition, particularly the Chiefs, Broncos, and Chargers.

He was a true competitor and though he has not made it to the HOF he is one of the most memorable players of the NFL in the past 40 years.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Football mod checking in here. There is a thread I started in the pro football forum on Stabler when I heard the news on the NFL Channel but will make a couple points here.

In the "Immaculate Reception" game (Raiders vs. Steelers) most people who were only kids at the time and are in their 30's and 40's now identify about Franco Harris. If THAT ball hadn't bounced in Franco's direction I would GUARANTEE you that the topic of conversation would be about Ken Stabler. I remember that game well. Raider qb Daryle Lamonica was really struggling and in the third quarter Madden replaced him with Stabler. Stabler got the Raiders points on the board with a thirty yard run for a touchdown. No "immaculate reception?" It would have been Raiders vs. Dolphins for the AFC Championship. That 30 yard run pretty much made up Al Davis' and John Madden's mind regarding who should be the starting quarterback for the Raiders in the future.

Like Vector1 pointed out Stabler was cool under pressure. He would throw a "pick 6" in the 4th quarter and turn around and beat you at the very end of the game. You could not intimidate him. I remember him taking a beating on sacks but would get right back up and go full tilt. He had a special bond with his teammates, particularly his offensive line. And he had the respect of the opposition, particularly the Chiefs, Broncos, and Chargers.

He was a true competitor and though he has not made it to the HOF he is one of the most memorable players of the NFL in the past 40 years.
I completely agree, and that is one of the cruel ironies in sports. You can make a spectacular effort that likely won the game, but if fate intervenes, you are forgotten or become a footnote.
The same can be true in the reverse where you make a horrible mistake that dooms your chances and you are destine to be a historical goat. Yet if the team makes a comeback, you do not get saddled with a dubious distinction.

For example, in baseball, most people when they hear the name Bill Buckner, they think of the ball rolling between his legs for a series losing error.
What they forget or were never aware of is that not only was he hurt, but more importantly that happened in game 6 of the series.
Had Boston won game 7, his error would not have defined his career. Nor should it have, because he was a great ball player. Sadly, fate dealt him a cruel blow.

Fortunately Ken Stabler was on the winning end of impossible and downright unbelievable comebacks during his career.
He will always be remembered as someone who did not bend, much less break under pressure. If I had to bet my life on a QB bringing his team back to win the game, he would certainly be in the top 5 of all time, if not the top 3.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events