Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 09:34 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,428,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yes, you are correct. My apologies, he hadn't actually given her the citation at that point.
I was under the same impression. Had to rewatch to confirm. My earlier post regarding to separate detainment is incorrect obviously. I do still believe the detainment and the order to exit the vehicle (and subsequent force) was legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 09:42 AM

672 posts, read 793,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Of course, because Sandra Bland has been the only inmate to successfully manage to commit suicide while in police custody in American history.

The dumbing down of America continues unabated.
Hunh, how you got to where you are from what I posted, I have no idea. Keep on your delusion, though, don't let me stop you.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,376,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't have to mind my own business. If you wanted no one but Kathryn to respond to your post or see your post, you should have sent her a direct message. But instead you decided to tell her that you "used to like her" and now think of her differently on the public forum. That would be your fault, not mine.

If I'm not mistaken (could be thinking of someone else), Kathryn has two biracial children so I doubt she's a racist. And saying what Kathryn said does not make someone a racist. Crying racism is the go to for people who don't like to hear certain opinions and/or facts.
Thanks - and actually I have four biracial children, all now adults (and none with a criminal record, just throwing that out there). If we apply that worn out "one drop rule" as so many people still insist on doing, they'd all be considered African American.

I also have a Korean brother and a Korean grandson and four grandkids who are not only AA/white but are also Panamanian and Puerto Rican.

Oh and I have a Korean daughter in law and a multiracial son in law. And one son in law who is probably part Jewish (last name and looks imply that though he doesn't know much about his family heritage).

And I love them all dearly. And one of the reasons I love every single one of them is because not a single one of them - blood relatives or in laws - has a victim mentality. If they get a speeding ticket, they don't assume it's because their skin is brown or they don't speak English well. If someone is rude to them, they don't assume it's because of their last name or their "natural hair." If someone pushes them in a line, they don't assume it's because they're being disrespected based on their ethnicity or accent.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:49 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,974,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Oh what the heck.

She never said anything racist. At all.

In fact, there was nothing racial AT ALL in the entire traffic stop w/ Bland and the cop.

I wish people would stop trying to make things into a race issue when none exists.
And I wish people would stop making absolute pronouncements on the state of minds of people other than themselves. You cannot know what that officers motivations were regarding Bland. It is hard to imagine that Bland was the first person in his career to mouth off to him. It is more reasonable to assume a racial motivation for the rapid escalation of events with Bland than not.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:51 AM

13,658 posts, read 10,060,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
I was under the same impression. Had to rewatch to confirm. My earlier post regarding to separate detainment is incorrect obviously. I do still believe the detainment and the order to exit the vehicle (and subsequent force) was legal.
Yes. But I still don't think it was warranted.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I do beg your pardon, you'll see how the post above doesn't give the below impression.

I'm 53 years old. I've been driving for 37 years. So yeah - I've gotten probably a ticket every three or four years and warnings off and on throughout the years.

Just for the record, I've never been ticketed for going over 12 miles over the speed limit, and several times it's been under ten miles over the speed limit. Once I got a ticket for having an expired inspection sticker that had expired two days before!

And finally, surely you can see the difference between the occasional speeding ticket or warning, and DUIs, convictions for possession of drugs, theft, and over $7000 in unpaid fines.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
^ Getting pulled over is a pretty common occurrence. Some people rarely are, some people often are, but it's safe to say most people are pulled over at least once in their lifetimes for doing something actually wrong on the roads. What really matters is your conduct after getting pulled over. Sometimes, if you're nice and respectful, a cop will let you go with just a warning. But if you're being rude and combative, you never know where that will take you. And that would be your own fault.
Right - and I did notice that when I was driving a red car, I got pulled over more often than when I was driving a blue SUV - LOL. Strange but true.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:53 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,117,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
Hunh, how you got to where you are from what I posted, I have no idea. Keep on your delusion, though, don't let me stop you.
1. Woman gets pulled over for routine traffic stop.
2. Woman gets belligerent with officer.
3. Woman resists arrest and assaults officer.
4. Woman sits in jail for three days when friend refuses to bail her out.
5. Woman (who has a history of depression) hangs herself with a garbage bag.

Most of America: Sad story, but maybe if she kept her mouth shut, she would have just got a ticket.

You: Another case of police negligence and more evidence of a racial conspiracy in law enforcement.

Now, who is the delusional one again???

Old 07-28-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I see. Smart enough to not be abusive, but not smart (nor responsible) enough to drive without repeatedly being pulled over.

If you're going to take the high ground about what Ms Bland should or should not have done, perhaps you would do well to curb your own habitual disregard for the law.

Being polite doesn't excuse you. If you really took responsibility, you'd stop doing it.

That's the point. Being rude is not a jailable offense. And Ms Bland should have been subject to the same treatment as Ms Aragon.

One's manners are not the point. Both broke laws and one is no better than the other.
I'm smart enough not to smart off to a cop - ever. That's my point and a point that Ms. Bland would have done well to apply in her own situation. You smart off at a cop, things are not as likely to end with a simple warning. I didn't even need anyone to ever tell me that to know it!

Old 07-28-2015, 09:59 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,117,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm smart enough not to smart off to a cop - ever. That's my point and a point that Ms. Bland would have done well to apply in her own situation. You smart off at a cop, things are not as likely to end with a simple warning. I didn't even need anyone to ever tell me that to know it!
For those that aren't quite clear on the concept:

https://youtu.be/uj0mtxXEGE8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events