Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2015, 09:16 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not true. Look up Ossian Sweet as an example off the top of my head.

People are also forgetting about things like Redlining and Blockbusting that helped to form housing patterns in this country.
That isn't the only example.

When Willie Mays was playing baseball, he offered to pay for a house in San Francisco in cash. This was in 1957. He was refused the house at first because he was Black. After some pressure, he got the house. Some time later, someone through a glass bottle through his house with a hate letter in it.

Streetwise: Willie Mays - Western Neighborhoods Project - San Francisco History
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 09:24 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Considering the crime stats, I'd say more blacks hate blacks.
And conversely more whites hate whites. So?

Old 07-21-2015, 09:29 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That isn't the only example.

When Willie Mays was playing baseball, he offered to pay for a house in San Francisco in cash. This was in 1957. He was refused the house at first because he was Black. After some pressure, he got the house. Some time later, someone through a glass bottle through his house with a hate letter in it.

Streetwise: Willie Mays - Western Neighborhoods Project - San Francisco History
True and I believe that Bill Russell went through similar issues as well. What is interesting is that Mays was in the Bay Area and Russell in the Boston area.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:45 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i been thinking about this all day, why would whites want to move into a black neighborhood?
It might hard for people outside L.A to understand , but housing prices in L.A are pretty insane.
People are getting priced out of neighborhoods all the time.
While this neighborhood View Park is not cheap...someone might view it as a better value as crazy as that sounds compared to other areas.

You can get an idea of the prices here.
https://www.redfin.com/city/26660/CA...-Windsor-Hills

It's people buying like $700k houses because they can't buy $1million houses...also I've heard the homes are kept up nicely and it sounds like a relatively nice area.

Areas close to it have been changing too and it's not that far from Downtown Los Angeles..which is really on fire and has become very desirable now.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
True and I believe that Bill Russell went through similar issues as well. What is interesting is that Mays was in the Bay Area and Russell in the Boston area.
And when Boston had the busing issue come up, things went crazy. The photo of Soiling Old Glory illustrates part of it.

There has been a long history of Blacks not being wanted anywhere. This is how Black neighborhoods often sprang up. It was a response to only being able to get housing in certain areas due to discrimination.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:02 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
And conversely more whites hate whites. So?
But proportionately whites aren't killing nearly as many people.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Vast majority of Blacks who commit murder kill Blacks. #1 victim of murder in the USA is young Black men.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It might hard for people outside L.A to understand , but housing prices in L.A are pretty insane.
People are getting priced out of neighborhoods all the time.
While this neighborhood View Park is not cheap...someone might view it as a better value as crazy as that sounds compared to other areas.

You can get an idea of the prices here.
https://www.redfin.com/city/26660/CA...-Windsor-Hills

It's people buying like $700k houses because they can't buy $1million houses...also I've heard the homes are kept up nicely and it sounds like a relatively nice area.

Areas close to it have been changing too and it's not that far from Downtown Los Angeles..which is really on fire and has become very desirable now.
I know prices in Los Angeles are insane for homes. This is one part why man Californians, Black and White, are leaving California. Alot of them are popping up in the Atlanta area.

And this isn't limited to Los Angeles. The Bay Area, and other West Coast metros are having this issue. New York City is having this problem as well.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:32 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
LOL! LMAO! ROFL! I guess you must not have heard of Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, Korea, WWI, WWII or the United States Civil War. I appreciate the joke.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:48 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
LOL! LMAO! ROFL! I guess you must not have heard of Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, Korea, WWI, WWII or the United States Civil War. I appreciate the joke.
LOL - I can't tell if you're serious or joking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events