Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you back her ?
Yes 210 80.46%
No 51 19.54%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 09:35 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,833,314 times

Advertisements

The owner lost it just like the kid did. The difference is one is 3 and the other is 50. Seriously, why is this an issue? The owner should have asked the parents to remove the child from the premises.

But I saw her business and I know the stress of cooking in crampt, hot locations with too many orders and not enough time to deal with issues not related to serving clients. It looks like small place and a child screaming as only children can can make someone snap.

I wonder if the kid stopped screaming after being yelled at by the owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 09:35 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,672,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The distinction, which seems to have gotten lost, is that the 50 year old OWNS the restaurant and had already advised the Moomie that ordering 3 dinner-plate-size pancakes for a 2 year old was 1) a bad idea, and 2) going to take a long time to cook.

A restauranteur who stands up for their other patrons is a hero in my book. Too few will do it.
I think it is somewhere in "Business 101" that slamming your fists on a counter and screaming at customers (and especially the children of customers) is not a good idea. The owner had every "right" to do what she did. It doesn't mean that it was the "right" way to handle the situation. Both parties were wrong.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:36 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I can't tell if your poll is about the story you link to, or the experience you shared that you had.

In addition, if this poll refers to Marcy's Diner, there's a problem because there isn't a third option of "Agree owner should have said something, but mishandled it."
the issue I experienced, is the very same the restaurant owner experienced, I'm asking if you back her?
You can write that she mishandled it if you feel that way, Geeze, Louise, now people feel they have to tell you how to post a thread?

Old 07-21-2015, 09:55 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,144 times
I'm a married 51 year old man. I have a (step - I never call her that) daughter who has two kids (that I adore to no end!) who are my grandkids... a girl 4 and boy 3 - 11 months apart.

When we go out with them (without their mom or dad - just my wife, our grandkids and me) we are always making sure the grandkids are quiet and well behaved. If they raise any kind of fuss, we take the offending child out of the restaurant until they have calmed down. We explain to them that they mustn't make so much noise, and return when they are quiet.

Although I voted 'YES' - there's contentions.
First off, I would have been that other customer that would have said something to mom or dad. I've done it before, and I'm sure I'll do it again.

I don't think that the owner should have slammed her hands on the table and said what she said to the child... That was a comment that should have been made to the parents, minus the hand slapping.

"You're child is causing a lot of disruption, please quiet her down, or I'd be forced in asking to leave" - would have been an appropriate comment, in my humble opinion.

I'm certain that anyone hearing that comment would have appreciated the attempt to quiet the child - respecting the other patrons peace.

The parents may have gotten upset by that comment, but at least I would have been one, as another customer, to outwardly say, 'Thank You' when the parents were given that option.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I think it is somewhere in "Business 101" that slamming your fists on a counter and screaming at customers (and especially the children of customers) is not a good idea. The owner had every "right" to do what she did. It doesn't mean that it was the "right" way to handle the situation. Both parties were wrong.
No, I agree it isn't a good idea, however, when your forced to listen to it for that long, believe me, it is no picnic, and when you get older, kids that scream like that are really annoying....so she lost it...was she right no, but I still back her....in every way....

I tell you true, when we were out last Friday night, one woman at the table next to me said, "my kids would never pull that, ever!" You couldn't hear the company you were with, and it went on and on....so believe me, the only reason I didn't go over to their table was b/c I feared not being able to contain myself, but everyone in that dining room was very angry, people kept looking at each other and shaking their heads...

Awful....

Old 07-21-2015, 09:58 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,732 times
After 40 minutes, the only responsible thing to do is to say something. So yeah, I support the diner.

Also, how in God's name can that woman (who doesn't parent her kid) say that was the 'worst experience' she's ever had at a restaurant. I know she was just going for a reaction, but even then, that's such an absurd over exaggeration. If someone yelling at your ****y kid to shut up is the worst thing that's ever happened, you've had an amazing life.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
After 40 minutes, the only responsible thing to do is to say something. So yeah, I support the diner.

Also, how in God's name can that woman (who doesn't parent her kid) say that was the 'worst experience' she's ever had at a restaurant. I know she was just going for a reaction, but even then, that's such an absurd over exaggeration. If someone yelling at your ****y kid to shut up is the worst thing that's ever happened, you've had an amazing life.
I hear teachers stories from time to time, and parents are like that today...not all of course, but a lot of them feel that their little angels can do anything they want...and I've seen it first hand....

The inability for parents to be aware of others is really very sad....they really shouldn't be parents....
I remember a fella who used to work with us, who'd say, "you should have to take a test to be a parent!"

Old 07-21-2015, 10:08 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
The poll is flawed. It wasn't a black and white situation. Two wrongs don't make a right. I voted no because the restaurant owner and the parents both mishandled the situation.

As a parent, I have walked out of a restaurant with a screaming, crying or otherwise misbehaving child.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
The poll is flawed. It wasn't a black and white situation. Two wrongs don't make a right. I voted no because the restaurant owner and the parents both mishandled the situation.

As a parent, I have walked out of a restaurant with a screaming, crying or otherwise misbehaving child.
well the difference is, the mother didn't take the kid and walk out....

so yeah I back her....

and I apologize to you or anyone else, that the poll isn't as you wish it to be....

Old 07-21-2015, 10:10 AM

19,119 posts, read 25,313,763 times
All the restaurant owner has to do is to declare that she is a candidate for POTUS, claim that she "tells it like it is", and--voila--she will have people lining up to defend her, no matter how offensive her comments might be.

Hmmmm.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events