Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 10:54 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Hmm, sound familiar? Reminds me of some dude that raised salary of all employees to 70,000....

Unintended Consequence of Wal-Mart

Quote:
When Wal-Mart Stores Inc. chief Doug McMillon announced plans to boost store workers’ minimum wage earlier this year, he said the move was intended to improve morale and retain employees.
Yet for some of the hundreds of thousands of workers getting no raise, the policy is having the opposite effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 11:10 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
I'm not sure why they didn't realize that if you raise wages of the lowest paid workers, higher paid workers will want a commensurate wage increase, are they that out of touch with their employee?

Old 08-07-2015, 06:21 AM

5,175 posts, read 4,947,721 times
Wish I could find the link from a news story I read a few weeks ago about employees, who got a wage increase above minimum wage, now asking for less hours because the higher wage makes them ineligible for public assistance. I think the story was based in Washington or Seattle.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:15 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not sure why they didn't realize that if you raise wages of the lowest paid workers, higher paid workers will want a commensurate wage increase, are they that out of touch with their employee?

The employers aren't out of touch with their employees, the employers are bowing to political pressure. Years ago, I said this is what would happen. The prices of products would rise accordingly and those making minimum wage would still be at the bottom of the wage ladder though that bottom rung is higher now. Their buying power will not have increased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Wish I could find the link from a news story I read a few weeks ago about employees, who got a wage increase above minimum wage, now asking for less hours because the higher wage makes them ineligible for public assistance. I think the story was based in Washington or Seattle.
Yep, it was Seattle because of that increase.

Not sure why people can't let supply and demand take over and let jobs pay what the market deems them worthy of being paid.

A doctor makes over $100k a year, why should the fast food worker not get $100k a year? Isn't that "fair" to the progressive agenda?

Old 08-07-2015, 08:09 AM

241 posts, read 221,769 times
So they tried to improve company morale and horrible customer service and quality of service numbers by paying entry-level employees (ie cashiers) more money... makes no sense to me. Great intent horrific execution.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:25 AM

45,407 posts, read 60,592,880 times
I thought we were told that raising the minimum wage wouldn't create a problem with the people getting above that already and they'd be happy to not have that large a separation.

Could we have been told wrongly?

Old 08-07-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
The employers aren't out of touch with their employees, the employers are bowing to political pressure. Years ago, I said this is what would happen. The prices of products would rise accordingly and those making minimum wage would still be at the bottom of the wage ladder though that bottom rung is higher now.
The price of products are based more on consumer demand than by labor costs. The implied goal of any raise in minimum wage is that it will have an uphill effect in wage increases.
Quote:
Not sure why people can't let supply and demand take over and let jobs pay what the market deems them worthy of being paid.
We have had wage stagnation for 35 years. Prices have gone up, productivity has gone up, CEO salaries have increased tremendously- but wages haven't gone up. How long do we wait for 'supply and demand' to kick in and increase wages?
Quote:
A doctor makes over $100k a year, why should the fast food worker not get $100k a year? Isn't that "fair" to the progressive agenda?
The average annual salary of a general practice physician is $227,541. The annual salary of a FULL time Walmart worker who receives $9 an hour is $18,000 before taxes (and most Walmart workers do not get 40 hours a week). Having to fall back on the strawman "progressive agenda" is usually and indication that the poster has failed to develop a rational argument to support their position

Old 08-07-2015, 08:44 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:

The average annual salary of a general practice physician is $227,541. The annual salary of a FULL time Walmart worker who receives $9 an hour is $18,000 before taxes (and most Walmart workers do not get 40 hours a week).
They might get more hours if Obama had not decided Fulltime was 30 hours.

The Govt loves wage inflation. It increases the taxes we all pay will push people into higher tax brackets.
Get a raise and take home less money.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
They might get more hours if Obama had not decided Fulltime was 30 hours.
If that were true, why didn't they start offering more hours BEFORE that? The number of hours all of the bottom feeder retailers offer has dropped from 30 to 40 to around 20 over the past 20 years, it is not a recent event.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:51 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,521,448 times
Quote:

You mean like every politician demanding to raise the minimum wage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events