Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 10:09 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times

Advertisements

It's never the dog's (or its breed's) fault. Never. It's always on the owner or handler. Because we know every dog behaves perfectly every time.

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 10:30 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
I know that at least some of these dogs are trained with aversive techniques such as shock collars. In the wrong hands a shock collar can condition a dog to exhibit aggression without provocation. My guess is the dog owner will get sued and he will have a very hard time getting homeowners insurance unless he can prove that the dog can't get out of his yard.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:40 AM

396 posts, read 409,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Dogs arent humans.
There are approximately 9 million other species on this planet according to latest estimates. Our perceived dominance is not grounds for entitlement. This dog has as much right to life as anyone else, and this life is not forfeit as a consequence of one mistake that was hardly its fault. If anyone should be punished it should be those responsible for the mishandling of the dog.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:42 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
The dog should not be put down, it is an animal acting not out of malice.
Train it better. Let the poor dog live, enough kf killing animals. Humans are not the only ones that matter. Sorry about the girl.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:55 AM

400 posts, read 414,086 times
A police dog trained to attack was kept in a fence he could jump? Whats wrong with this picture?

Another thing- It has been my observation that Malinois dogs tend to be more hyper than German Shepherds. They CONSTANTLY have to be doing something. Attacking a child is pretty disgusting. He could have killed that little girl. It seems to me that those dogs should be locked up just like fire arms.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:45 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
The dog needs to be destroyed, the department needs to pay for all medical costs and future psychiatric costs and there needs to be very strict restrictions placed on where these dogs can be housed.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:43 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Having read the story again, I would also like to point out this:

The dog's handler was immediately in the vicinity. That disturbs me. A well-trained working dog will alert its handler and wait for a command. When you're out with a working border collie, it doesn't just take off after the sheep - it waits for a command from its owner. That's the point of dogs - they work with us.

So this wasn't a dog handling things without any guidance - there was someone there to stop him and he still had to be pulled off of the child. That's insane.

I also took a look at the photo of the fence surrounding the yard. It is laughably low.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:10 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
Yes but there are many a dog that get unfairly put down. In the eyes of the law a bite is a bite, it does not matter if the person who was bit was teasing or abusing the dog in question, dog gets put down. As far as to this story I think the blame can be shared, improperly trained dog, and kid who approached a strange dog to begin with. I know when I was growing up I was taught not to approach strange dogs without the owner saying it was okay, purely because of this potential outcome.
It actually depends on the city's ordinance. Police dog or not, many cities allow a dog a "one free bite" pass, only after which the dog is considered vicious. After the first bite, the dog is quarantined and the owner fined. Assuming the dog isn't rabid, the dog is returned to the owner with strict warning not to let it happen again. If it does, only then is the dog subject to euthanasia. Considering that the dog was supposedly a trained police dog, there was no reason the dog should have attacked the child, so shame on any poster who is trying to pin any blame on the little girl. This includes the article, which appeared to have a distinctly pro-police bias. However, dogs are animals, as are humans. Neither dogs', nor humans' behavior can be predicted or controlled 100% of the time.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:22 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,643 posts, read 16,125,463 times
Put it down... NO more cop dogs.. reminds me of the gestapo

Old 08-03-2015, 02:28 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
Nothing to add that being a "police dog" doesn't always equate to being well trained.
My good friends dad has had a beautiful piece of retirement property in the North Carolina mountains. I believe it is like 20 acres and he has owned it for over 15 years and recently was able to retire on it full time.

Anyways long story short a few years ago a neighbor moved in and keeps 3 "police dogs" right on the property line. They are downright obnoxious. Anytime you pull up to the property, open the front door, go outside, make any movement or noise the dogs go on a ballistic barking spree. All of his complaints fall on dead ears because of the good old boy system and the fact that his neighbor is a deputy as well as his 3 "officer" k9 friends. It's truly ruined his retirement property. Not to say that non police dogs wouldn't do the same thing but still....

Just my irrelevant anecdotal $.02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events