Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2015, 09:34 PM

103 posts, read 82,472 times

Advertisements

I'm waiting for a personal attack from Vector1 but it's not coming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 10:30 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
I did not read this post before because I thought it was a dumb non-issue but, apparently, many people are talking about it. Seriously? This is what it takes to get people mad in this country? You likely work 40-80 hours per week with no real vacations, high-cost health insurance, no pension, questionable social security and an expensive secondary education system and you're mad because Target combined its toy section?

Old 08-13-2015, 10:48 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Ever heard of the slippery slope?
Other kooks/progressives/liberals will feel no differentiation is appropriate for dressing rooms, bathrooms, etc. because previous less absurd "barriers" have already been broken down. Keeping normal traditional standards in place also helps to keep them from constantly looking to push the envelope. Just a few years ago this gender neutral PC crap would have been laughed at.
Now with attempts to appease every behaviorally deviant minority, we make the majority suffer for to 2% or so of the vocal minority.
Heck in some cases no one is offended, but bleeding heart liberals don't want to take a chance that even one out of 320 million might have their poor feelings bruised.

Slippery slope, as in the logical fallacy?

Old 08-14-2015, 12:43 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No it won't. The girls' toys will still be pink cr@p, the boys' stuff--camouflage-colored, or blue, or whatever.

Who needs all that wrapping, anyway? More plastic and cardboard for landfill. Whatever happened to the days of open small bins full of toy cars, toy boats, and other stuff? No wrapping, just make a choice from the bin. Too easy to shoplift, I guess. Nowadays, everything has to be wrapped with colorful PR and hung for individual display. No wonder prices have gone up, with all that packaging.

People have been thieves since day 1 but society went to hell between the 60s-70s and evolved to what it is now. Stores sell packages of nut, bolts, nails, screws and the like. Too many people will take a few and pocket them rather than buy a package of 20-4 = theft. There is nothing quite like driving some miles to purchase something and parts are missing. I hate to open boxes but it's mandatory any longer. Those little cars, Matchbox or HotWheels, would walk if sold as they once were. Those blister packs on hangers are good deterrents but it does add to the price.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:46 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,359,771 times
I'll just stuff this away in my "Who Cares?" file.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:56 AM

685 posts, read 1,104,788 times
My daughter is a Teenage mutant ninja turtle and paw patrol girl. Doesn't make any difference to us.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:41 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow
It is a sad, angry, whiney world now and the kids today will just grow up to be sad and whiney just like their parents who will always be in a snit over something. The essence of ''spoiled'' projects into life as ''snitty''.
Yup thats about it......... The world gets stupidier everyday!!

Old 08-14-2015, 03:27 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
You do realize you are insane, right?
I think it might be you that has the problem, Vector.

If it comes down to giving some kid a complex because he likes Dora the Explorer and it's in the pink aisle so he feels weird in there, or some little girl feels like she shouldn't be in the dinosaur / mad scientist aisle because it's marked "boys", vs. some old fart having to look down a couple of aisles?

Guess who wins?

Old 08-14-2015, 03:46 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
It was a better time when Matchbox cars and 'Doll' houses actually LOOKED like cars and houses, and not some marketer's overload of color and gender.
Agreed. I love doll houses. But not the ones they try tp pawn off on kids today. It looks like a big pastry.
My Playskool castle, barn, house, etc, were gender neutral.

So were weebles. They had treehouses. Weebles wobble but they don't fall down. Anyone? Etch a sketch? Lite Brite?

They sure didn't color code the aisles at KMart or Kaybee toys in the mall either, and we all survived.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:07 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crna101 View Post
If I had a child, they have every right to wear makeup in school whether they're a boy or girl. If my child gets bullied, I would simply say, "suck it up, kid" after notifying the school principal. I would let my child know that they shouldn't change themselves to suit society's tastes. Instead, they should simply question why society can't accept them for who they are. I would teach my child to stand strong and be their true self and strive to find good friends that can accept them.
You see, I'm transgender. I grew up as a boy and transitioned into a woman upon getting my first job after college. I am a female in all legal documents now. I've always felt like one and I never gave a sh*t about what people thought from elementary school all the way up to now. My parents disowned me because of this. It's fine though. That's their call. I can't even bring myself to beg for sympathy over this issue because it's who I am and I have to deal with it myself. I want my child to have the same mentality as me.

If my kid is really so mentally weak that they can't even stand a little bullying, I'm gonna have to lecture the heck out of them.

I played with all girls in elementary. I loved dolls and I talked to my boy classmates in the same way that little girls do. I wore loads of makeup in high school that I secretly bought despite being a boy on the outside.

Now that I took hormones to gain the physical appearance of "the girl next door" (breasts, hips, feminine face, softer skin), changed my name, grew out my hair, etc, I am treated differently when I wear makeup because it's "expected" as a woman. I'm 5'3, 100 lbs with small hands and feet, so strangers can't tell I used to be a boy.
But what's disturbing is... these same people would've looked at me with disgust if they saw me in high school with makeup on. They would consider me a "sick" person for doing this or even call me "sick" for condoning little children to do as they please. But I honestly don't care about following society's standards and I don't want my child to care either... (if I ever decide to have one, that is.. lol)
Good on you for being strong and independent your whole life. Just don't be 'that girl' and think that everyone should be built like a concrete bunker inside and just be able to take unbearable amounts of psychological pain through the strength of their own resolve.

Maybe you don't know, sometimes 'a little bullying' turns into serious beatings and even death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events