Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 10:47 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times

Advertisements

I've had exactly two experiences with female officers. My first was when I took my driving test as a teenager. It was with a female state trooper. Her demeanor and approach was basically identical to any male officer frothing with a sense of power. She ended up passing me but not after berating me about my wheels slightly touching the curb during parallel parking. My second was last year when I was pulled over. The officer was polite, understanding and even talked to me about things unrelated to the stop.

That being said, my opinion is that as a society we are feverishly trying to homogenize everything. Trying to become blind to race, color, gender and any other difference we can think of. In my view it's a malformed attempt at uniting. The truth of the matter is that, in this case women and men are different. Different physically, emotionally and even in how they view the world. Women by and large are not as physically strong or large. Expecting them to be able to subdue violent attackers in exactly the same manner as men is not only idiotic but dangerous.

Women are typically better at relating to other individuals and empathizing with their situation. I'd bet my life that women cops are de-escalating potentially violent situations every day that could have gone in a different situation. There are of course exceptions as noted in my first encounter with a female officer and so the critical amount of discretion given to officers needs to be used to play to individuals strengths. That however can't happen when there's a politically correct agenda being stuffed down everyone's throat making everyone afraid of being sued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 11:00 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I've had exactly two experiences with female officers. My first was when I took my driving test as a teenager. It was with a female state trooper. Her demeanor and approach was basically identical to any male officer frothing with a sense of power. She ended up passing me but not after berating me about my wheels slightly touching the curb during parallel parking. My second was last year when I was pulled over. The officer was polite, understanding and even talked to me about things unrelated to the stop.

That being said, my opinion is that as a society we are feverishly trying to homogenize everything. Trying to become blind to race, color, gender and any other difference we can think of. In my view it's a malformed attempt at uniting. The truth of the matter is that, in this case women and men are different. Different physically, emotionally and even in how they view the world. Women by and large are not as physically strong or large. Expecting them to be able to subdue violent attackers in exactly the same manner as men is not only idiotic but dangerous.

Women are typically better at relating to other individuals and empathizing with their situation. I'd bet my life that women cops are de-escalating potentially violent situations every day that could have gone in a different situation. There are of course exceptions as noted in my first encounter with a female officer and so the critical amount of discretion given to officers needs to be used to play to individuals strengths. That however can't happen when there's a politically correct agenda being stuffed down everyone's throat making everyone afraid of being sued.
The one size fits all approach is not a winner. I agree with your sentiments.

We should all be equal in the eyes of the law, but on the ground, it's different. It has to be.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:55 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
A and B, in reverse......and then C.

A: If there are, of course, exceptions, then that's the kind of bet one shouldn't bet their life on. That's just plain suicidal.

B: This sort of reminds me of the time a retired Chief came into the station house yelling, "I want to see Ounce (me) or Hood (my chief of police)!" I answered "the call" and found out why he was so furious. His car had been ticketed for leaving their dog inside while they were at the naval exchange (this back around 1989). How could we have the gall to ticket him when he was such a caring dog owner. His wife with him also commented something along the lines of, "If the officer was a woman, I'm sure they would have seen how much we cared for our dog and wouldn't have written the ticket."

I didn't mention it to them but the patrol officer was my first class petty officer master at arms (MA1), my cadre, ........................ and a woman.

As it was, the ticket stood. The XO, who had passed through the station on his noon run (I turned over my shoulder to say, "Good afternoon, Sir" but when the "talk" was done, he was nowhere to be seen), asked me at the afternoon command meetings what that was all about. When I told him, he said "No difference, the ticket stands." We did alter procedure slightly when the Captain was informed, changing it to issuing a warning during the Winter months (we were around the Mason-Dixon Line).

What do people mean when they say "emphasize"? Is that being able to talk the officer out of the ticket? That's bad police work, looking at it from the head of an agency prospective. In my experience, leave it to the officer to decide whether or not to write a citation but if a citation is decided, it is department policy that determines whether it is a warning or with penalty.

Long story short, "Sir, those are the regulations, tell it to the magistrate.".......having had my own leash yanked when I tried to explain to a superior officer why regulations were the way they were.

C. Using women for their emphasizing abilities can work wonderfully in the stables with horses........but we aren't talking horses here. (from a Time Magazine article of the early 70's about how women are more effective around horses)

Old 08-16-2015, 02:19 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Size does not matter. The female could be 4'9" and 90 lbs. dripping wet, and could fight like Ronda Rousey but she'd rather use her mind than her fists. You could get a verbal ***** whipping or a slap on the wrist - but at least you're not bullet-ridden.
Size does matter, that is why there are weight classes in fighting competitions, that is why even with Rousey there is the whole "who will come to who" weight class dispute with Cyborg.

This does not only apply to females, but males also.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:28 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Size does matter, that is why there are weight classes in fighting competitions, that is why even with Rousey there is the whole "who will come to who" weight class dispute with Cyborg.

This does not only apply to females, but males also.
Reminds me of a training session we had about situations and deadly force. At the conclusion, I was talking with the instructor, a male patrol man about 5" 6' at my side, pointing out that given what we had, we might have to use head blows, potentially fatal unarmed combat strikes.

"Of course," the instructor said, "in such situations, you are going to take what you can get.".

Old 08-16-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
This^^^ She's the perfect example of size doesn't matter. Imagine her as a gf during that time of the month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3FZLTpJREY

Of course all women aren't on her level, and using that much force on someone wouldn't be legal lol. They do teach you self-defense tactics in police and department of corrections academies though.

Like I said earlier I think women are easier to talk to and are better at deescalating a situation, but some lunatic madman or a career criminal with strength wouldn't have a problem assaulting a cop he deems weak. It's a tricky situation.
You realize the background to this video? She came into there with no one knowing her, and stated and acted like she is pretty new at this thing, so everyone treated her according to what she relayed her experience level was. An experienced person is not going to go all out on someone new, there is no learning experience in that.

She has been criticized heavily for what everyone considers to be a douchebag move, coming in playing amateur, then having the other person treat her as such, then she proceeds to showcase her real experience on an unsuspecting person.

If you want to showcase a female with good fighting skills, there are numerous better examples.

Size always matters, even in this video she is fighting pretty close to her size.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:18 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Size always matters, even in this video she is fighting pretty close to her size.
So what, neither male or female cops box with suspects.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
So what, neither male or female cops box with suspects.
I am not the one who brought it up, I was replying to the poster who did.

They are not expected to box, they are expected to conduct submission moves to subdue a suspect; size plays even more of a role in submission movements.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:54 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
I worked with many Women in a Corrections setting. After they survive two or three years on the job I preferred working with an experienced female officer over a rookie Male officer. There are some inmates that absolutely HATE Women and the presence of a Woman will set them off. But that is the fault of the inmate not the Woman. I have a feeling it is probably similar for COPS on the street.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:51 PM

16,550 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
You rarely hear of police women harassing, beating, or shooting unarmed suspects. Do women approach policing differently? Or is the reasoning just statistical based on fewer women officers?
Don't even get me started on how affirmative action lowered the standards both physically (for women) and intelligence/mental/background (for minorities). Many of the ills, even those with white male police officers are related to AA as the root cause.

Rest assured there are plenty of female shootings and improper use of lethal force. The trouble is that in most instances a liberal media which believes in discriminatory programs like AA, assume a women was justified in using their firearm.
They will even admit, though not directly, that the woman cop was "in fear for her life", therefore is was justified. This of course ignores that they are presumed to be capable of using the titrated escalation of force, just like a man, with only resorting to lethal force after other options are exhausted.

They get hurt more often on the job, but there are never studies (at least not published ones) showing how their inferior size, weight and strength lead to those injuries. Nor do studies show how they will shy away from physically apprehending or engaging big men fighting, say at a football game. Watch the next time how often they will directly engage a situation like that if they are the first ones to the fight.

This is not the best video of this incident, but I cannot find the other where this woman ((posing as a LEO) almost gets killed as a result of her inferior physical abilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnUYKFU0OqM

Needless to say when things like this happen, it just lends credence to women being justified in using lethal force more rapidly, than would be called for according to protocol.
But again, this stuff is swept under the rug for fear the feminists will have a fit over exposure that women have no business being cops or firefighters due to inferior physical capabilities.
The lowering of standards has also allowed small male weaklings to be hired, and their resulting inability to handle situations without fear of getting their hats handed to them.

So the sheeple continue to watch Hollywood portrayals of women kicking 3+ guys butts, and they actually believe it is reflective of real life.
Of course, many of the so called men believing this nonsense, are feminized themselves to the point of probably being the exception to the rule.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events