Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 09:33 AM

148 posts, read 132,228 times

Advertisements

Giving housing to the homeless is three times cheaper than leaving them on the streets - Vox

Excerpt:
"The most recent report along these lines was a May Central Florida Commission on Homelessness study indicating that the region spends $31,000 a year per homeless person on "the salaries of law-enforcement officers to arrest and transport homeless individuals — largely for nonviolent offenses such as trespassing, public intoxication or sleeping in parks — as well as the cost of jail stays, emergency-room visits and hospitalization for medical and psychiatric issues." By contrast, getting each homeless person a house and a caseworker to supervise their needs would cost about $10,000 per person."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 09:35 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Sweet deal. I'll become homeless if this happens so I can score free housing!

Old 08-17-2015, 09:38 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,894,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Sweet deal. I'll become homeless if this happens so I can score free housing!
Free housing isn't really nice. It's most likely a bed with 3 other guys in the same room in a shelter. Strict curfew at 10PM, no alcohol, and you have to give to that shelter 80% of your pay check (but you'll get it back in a form of savings when you're out of that shelter).

There's a reason many people want to move out of those free housings as soon as they can afford it.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:44 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smart-dumb-kid View Post
Giving housing to the homeless is three times cheaper than leaving them on the streets - Vox

Excerpt:
"The most recent report along these lines was a May Central Florida Commission on Homelessness study indicating that the region spends $31,000 a year per homeless person on "the salaries of law-enforcement officers to arrest and transport homeless individuals — largely for nonviolent offenses such as trespassing, public intoxication or sleeping in parks — as well as the cost of jail stays, emergency-room visits and hospitalization for medical and psychiatric issues." By contrast, getting each homeless person a house and a caseworker to supervise their needs would cost about $10,000 per person."
I support the idea of local governments being able to pay for these programs.

I hope lots of people in California, Oregon, Washington, New York, Connecticut and New Hampshire vote for such programs.

At that point, I will petition my local government to purchase bus tickets for our homeless to these other states.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:49 AM

5,404 posts, read 16,000,620 times
There is no such thing as "free" housing. Maybe the homeless aren't paying for it, but I am, and you are, if you pay taxes. Nothing is "free"....someone pays the bill...and it's we taxpayers.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:50 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
There is unlimited demand for free stuff.

The idiocy of this sort of myopic thinking as put forth in that link, is that once they start giving out free housing, they will get more homeless than they can handle. Their costs will balloon well beyond what they are spending now.

At one time there was something called common sense. It's not so common these days.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:56 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,912,001 times
$31,000 a year for each homeless person.

Meanwhile, student loan debt is over $1 trillion and few student borrowers ever borrowed $31,000 a year.

So, in case anyone was wondering WTF was wrong with the United States. . . .

Old 08-17-2015, 09:56 AM

148 posts, read 132,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
There is unlimited demand for free stuff.

The idiocy of this sort of myopic thinking as put forth in that link, is that once they start giving out free housing, they will get more homeless than they can handle. Their costs will balloon well beyond what they are spending now.

At one time there was something called common sense. It's not so common these days.
I don't get it. Housing them is cheaper than not housing them. What's wrong with free housing if it benefits you? It cost less tax money, so you can spend it on yourself and your family, or governments can focus on education and lowering taxes.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:58 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,836,944 times
Homeless Hotel.

Where the Bums check in.

But they don't check out.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:11 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,295,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smart-dumb-kid View Post
I don't get it. Housing them is cheaper than not housing them. What's wrong with free housing if it benefits you? It cost less tax money, so you can spend it on yourself and your family, or governments can focus on education and lowering taxes.
It encourages other people to be 'homeless' by choice. There are many people who are mentally ill, fell on hard times or whatever and they are homeless because of it. If you start giving shelter to everyone, then those who can do better don't have as much incentive to do better because they have found someone else to take care of them.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." We need more fishermen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events