Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 10:00 AM

16,591 posts, read 8,610,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Personally, if they started blocking interstates, I'd just plow through. I have places to go and am on a very tight schedule. I don't like to waste time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I understand your sentiment but if you were to do that you would never get to where you were going because you would be spending the next decade or so in jail. I really do understand the feeling...I'd be tempted to do the same. However I have kids to feed and other responsibilities to live up to. A civilized man with civilized concerns. lol
If Arcenal is white you are probably correct, however when the driver is black like this girl is, no one seems to care;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KozO06-Fz2s

Where are the blacklivesmatter social injustice warriors when black on black crimes occurs?

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 10:04 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,121,139 times
"They're exercising their 1st amendment rights which I support."

Hogwash. They have the right to assemble and peacefully protest. They do not have the right to abridge or interfere with the rights of other citizens. Your rights end at the tip of your nose.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:49 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Well, I'm black. If black lives matter, don't disrupt my (and my family's) needs with foolishness.

You're awesome. Sorry I can't rep you again. You're right. I don't understand what they hope to accomplish by inconveniencing undeserving people in such an ignorant manner. I guess the black lives at the fair don't matter either. Stupid is as stupid does.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:52 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
these folks' knack of knowing just what to do to get others to empathize with them is sheer genius
Black Lives Matter St. Paul intends to hold a rally to disrupt operations at the Minnesota State Fair during its opening weekend, the group announced Thursday.

Dubbed #BlackFair, organizers plan to protest St. Paul police shootings and alleged racial disparities at Minnesota’s largest community gathering during a march and demonstration outside the gates. Beginning at 11 a.m. on Aug. 29, supporters will march from Hamline Park down Snelling Avenue to the State Fair gates, disrupting traffic along their route.
Black Lives Matter to rally, disrupt operations at State Fair - StarTribune.com

Deliberately disrupting the lives of others has never been the optimum way to win their minds and hearts. My guess is that the BLM folks either never got this message or they don't care. They are a group of professional agitators, with some followers out there looking for excitement. And breathless, dramatic media attention, of course.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:56 AM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
They should be arrested for domestic terrorism. The penalty for getting arrested for violent protesting should be increased so that these idiots have police records. No more "catch and release" with no consequences.

Good luck trying to explain to your next employer why you have an arrest record.
I doubt this is planned as a violent protest. It sounds like the plan is to be peaceful, but disruptive enough to get attention by the media. I'm not condoning it, but it is effective to get their message out. It's just too bad that it's also offputting to so many people that may otherwise take up their cause.

I see the point of #BlackLivesMatter because there have been a lot of incidents of police violence that have resulted in no charges. It's too bad they take up as their heroes the ones who may have brought it on themselves. It started in Ferguson when they thought Michal Brown was the innocent victim, then when that story crumbled and even the DOJ admitted that it was a justified shooting they had no choice but to keep up the protests with MB as their standard. What they should have done was abandon Ferguson and use Eric Garner or that guy in South Carolina who was shot while running away. It would get a lot more sympathy.

I know they are really talking about all the incidents, but the "Hands up, don't shoot" mantra has stuck, and that's linked to MB.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:17 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
These folks would have more credibility if they put more focus on civilian shootings within black communities.

Yes, unjustified police shootings are terrible but there are a lot more tragedies caused by civilians.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:54 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
"Black Lives Matter" is a slogan members of the black community should be saying to each other, not preaching to white people they seek to shame. Who has the least amount of respect for black lives? Well, find out who is killing and hurting the most black people and maybe then you'll find your answer. If someone needs to be shamed here, how about instead of glorifying the "thug life" culture, we aim the "Black Lives Matter" slogan at them instead?

Old 08-22-2015, 02:11 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Yeah! Because everyone knows the Minnesota State Fair is RACIST... or something...

According to the 2010 census Minnesota was ~85% white, as in majority. That would place blacks at ~10 out of 100 people as there are other colors that make up the minority.

Do they think the 10% truly represents the whole? It's illogical. What if 10% of black owned businesses don't want to set up at the state fair?

This quip from the article sums it up.

“When we see the makeup of the vendors of the fair — even if it’s not intentional — there’s a disparity that’s there and the State Fair should be … interested in working with the community and figuring out what’s best,” Turner said.

The organizer said on record it matters not who you are but what you are bringing to the fair. He even offered to give them space for a booth to interact with patrons inside.
I guess disruptive demonstration is all they know. I bet they lie down in the middle of the road as they do everywhere else.

We all think that's a good idea. Their point sinks like a lead balloon at that instant.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:20 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Default No parade permit? Follow the law.

When the anti-war protesters marched without a parade permit, St. Paul police arrested them. But most of the "victims" were white, so nobody was outraged when they went to jail.

Equal treatment under the law mandates this protest get the same response.

Saturday morning, arrest the marchers the moment they refuse to step back onto the sidewalk, let them sit in holding cells until court is in session on Monday.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:52 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
That's what I thought when I first read this. If you want to alienate people potentially sympathetic to your main message, this is a great way to do it. Cause a major inconvenience to people who are just out for a good family time and don't want to be worried about political/social considerations for a few minutes of their lives, and you thrust your political agenda right into their face.....good idea, NOT !

Perhaps they should take marketing 101 first.
A group did something similar in the early days of the Ferguson protests in Durham, NC and they closed a major highway then marched in front of a theater delaying a couple thousand people getting in and the start of a show. The show was John Oliver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events