Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 11:31 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,734,315 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, I was sitting in NYC subways and one of the earliest well known feminist activist in NYC got on the train fully topless and sat across from me. I don't care if it's tastefully topless but she basically had the shirt wide open intentionally so we can all look at her breasts. I don't think any man would walk around topless intentionally to show off their chest that way. I understand she's an activist but have some decency to make it slightly less noticeable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 11:42 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,008,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
A few years ago, I was sitting in NYC subways and one of the earliest well known feminist activist in NYC got on the train fully topless and sat across from me. I don't care if it's tastefully topless but she basically had the shirt wide open intentionally so we can all look at her breasts. I don't think any man would walk around topless intentionally to show off their chest that way. I understand she's an activist but have some decency to make it slightly less noticeable.
Why do you assume that she was intentionally trying to show off her chest, so you "could all look"? This attitude is part of the problem. So men can walk around toples without the intention of purposefully showing anything, but when women do it they want everyone to look? And how would she make going topless slightly less noticeable? Your chest is either showing, or it's not, in this case for this equality argument.

Not trying to stir up trouble; I'm really curious about your thought process. The whole argument these female activists make is about equality. They don't want people to look, that's not why they're doing it, they just want to be able to walk around freely like men do. Bras can be uncomfortable, believe it or not. Many women would prefer to not wear them. Not wearing shirts, as well, and having it be socially acceptable would be ideal but I feel we will never reach that stage in our lifetimes. I'M not trying to walk around topless, ever, but I understand why some women feel frustrated by the double standard and the fact that our society has sexualized breasts the way it has.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:01 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,734,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Why do you assume that she was intentionally trying to show off her chest, so you "could all look"? This attitude is part of the problem. So men can walk around toples without the intention of purposefully showing anything, but when women do it they want everyone to look? And how would she make going topless slightly less noticeable? Your chest is either showing, or it's not, in this case for this equality argument.

Not trying to stir up trouble; I'm really curious about your thought process. The whole argument these female activists make is about equality. They don't want people to look, that's not why they're doing it, they just want to be able to walk around freely like men do. Bras can be uncomfortable, believe it or not. Many women would prefer to not wear them. Not wearing shirts, as well, and having it be socially acceptable would be ideal but I feel we will never reach that stage in our lifetimes. I'M not trying to walk around topless, ever, but I understand why some women feel frustrated by the double standard and the fact that our society has sexualized breasts the way it has.
Which is why men are from mars and women are from venus. If these feminists think by going out topless changes anything, they don't understand biology. It's the same reason some people are gay, they were born this way.

If you think that men will somehow evolve over 100,000 years to stop looking at breasts as sexual objects you are asking men to be reprogrammed. Babies are born to look at nipples, that's why they turn dark when a woman becomes a mother. Certain things are part of nature that we can't change because there's a reason behind it.

All those women topless marches becomes entertainment for men. The best way imo to make breasts less of a sexualize target is to do less with them. If you're gonna let it hang out then do so, but don't be wearing those very revealing tops that hides a tiny bit of the bottom. You're basically turning it to a tease show and if you don't understand men you will never get it and the world won't change if under the same misguided activism.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:06 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,523,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

Society hasn't sexualized women's breasts, WOMEN have sexualized their breasts. What do women choose to wear? Cleavage revealing clothing. Which women here jump into bed and then turn to their husband or boyfriend and tell them not to see their breasts in a sexual way? Which women here doesn't dress to accentuate their breasts? They all do. The women who actually wear burlap moomoos are exempted, all others are hypocrites.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:10 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,673,795 times
I'm all for it. Let those puppies frolic in the open.
Free The Puppies!

Old 08-24-2015, 12:13 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,008,833 times
Quote:
Which is why men are from mars and women are from venus. If these feminist thinks by going out topless changes anything, they don't understand biology. It's the same reason some people are gay, they were born this way.

If you think that men will somehow evolve over 100,000 years to stop looking at breasts as sexual objects you are asking men to be reprogrammed. Babies are born to look at nipples, that's why they turn dark when a woman becomes a mother. Certain things are part of nature that we can't change because there's a reason behind it.

All those women topless marches becomes entertainment for men. The best way imo to make breasts less of a sexualize target is to do less with them. If you're gonna let it hang out then do so, but don't be wearing those very revealing tops that hides a tiny bit of the bottom. You're basically turning it to a tease show and if you don't understand men you will never get it and the world won't change if under the same misguided activism.
You act as if it is inherent for men to view breasts sexually. There were women in plenty of Native American tribes who went around topless. It was simply not the norm for them to cover their breasts. There are still natives in remote tribes today in parts of the world, including parts of Africa, where women don't cover their chests. They walk around topless, even in 2015. Sexualizing breasts and covering them is a cultural thing, prevalent especially in America but the West in general. Even Europe is more lax on it than we are. You think the earliest humans were concerned with a woman's breasts hanging out, and made a fuss about it like some do today? You are right about the instinctive lure of a woman's breasts for nursing, but you're wrong, IMO, to think that it's therefore inherent within males to be sexually attracted to breasts and not be able to stop looking at them if they're being shown. Like I said, people got around just fine in history, and still do today, being around women who don't wear tops or anything at all to cover themselves.

Breasts in their basic purpose are there to feed a baby - possibly the most un-sexual thing ever. Anyone who thinks they're there for men's viewing pleasure or entertainment is wrong.

Again, I'm not a supporter of this movement myself (as in I'm not promoting it, but I actually don't care either way), I just understand the idea behind it.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:26 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,523,536 times
Women made their breasts sexual objects plain and simple. If they didn't or don't want that then why wear clothing that accentuates them, because they are forced to wear those clothes? In 2015, really?

Old 08-24-2015, 01:20 AM

29,527 posts, read 22,704,392 times
Just a convenient excuse to show their **** to the public, exhibitionists.

What does bare chests have to do with true female equality in our society?

Old 08-24-2015, 01:53 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,847,876 times
Lol, Seven women did that here 30 years ago. Believe me, no one wanted to look at their hairy armpits, anyway.

Yeesh.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:30 AM

50,883 posts, read 36,586,381 times
Quote:
Which is why men are from mars and women are from venus. If these feminists think by going out topless changes anything, they don't understand biology. It's the same reason some people are gay, they were born this way.

They are not feminists, why does everyone keep calling them feminists? They are little more than street strippers, out to make a buck, many of them appeared to be Russian per the interviews I saw and probably have a man behind the scenes calling the shots.

I think all the "street performers" in Times Square should be banned, including the costumed characters. It all feels like a shakedown when you walk through Times Square now, it's like going to Jamaica where you can't even walk down the street without someone harassing you to get your hair braided or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events