Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 05:50 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,428,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
OP didn't post this to be humorous. He posted it to be "right", and he's still not.

What? I posted this to be right about what, exactly?
When or where did I even ever post my opinion on the whole Cecil matter?

Glad you assigned yourself to be my spokesperson.

CLEARLY it was meant to be exactly what it is: Dark humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Is this a serious question? If we killed every species that could harm us, there wouldn't be many left. I guess we could all enjoy little bunnies and live happily ever after.

Lions don't want to be anywhere near humans. Why don't we leave them alone to live their lives? Just because a animal could rip me to shreds, doesn't mean I don't care about its welfare and enjoy its majestic beauty. We don't need them for food, so have no reason to murder them, imo.

False. Some actively hunt humans for food. Some African villages and tribes live on constant edge because of lion ambushes.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:54 AM

898 posts, read 1,219,775 times
even africans across the nation are laughing at americans. that or crying because they don't have running water or electricity and must walk for miles yet a stupid lion is dead and the entire country is in an uproar. does that make sense? it's another dumb animal. africa needs infrastructure along with some serious birth control. don't think for one minute that there aren't smart people on that continent who realize what real priorities are. and they are not a wild animal or a cecil the lion gold plated phone. smh.

Show Your Support For Cecil The Lion... With a $2,500 Phone? | WIRED

Old 08-26-2015, 06:13 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,554,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I wonder if this will shut the I-Loved-Cecil crowd up.

Safari guide killed by lion in Zimbabwe
In my book, the humans far outnumber to wildlife in kills, and each and every one of those humans have one thing in common: the size of their brains are the only part of them smaller than that that stands erect -- or on second thought, perhaps it doesn't.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:14 AM

387 posts, read 356,593 times
Quote:
False. Some actively hunt humans for food. Some African villages and tribes live on constant edge because of lion ambushes.

Big Cats in general can be quite dangerous man-eaters (Jaguars being the exception as they don't attack humans for some reason).......They have HEAVY predatory instincts and thus make them quite unpredictable/dangerous animals to be around.....

Now Bears almost never attack people (and when they do on rare occasion its usually a non predatory attack with Females) so we have to "give Bears credit" for not attacking us that often....Bears are said to be highly intelligent animals (more so than Big Cats) so perhaps they learn quickly to avoid Humans....who knows???

But it is odd how Leopards have killed literally thousands of people, but you can't really find more than like 10 documented cases of Jaguars killing people....

One theory is that "New World" felines didn't evolve alongside the Great Apes, and have thus not developed these congenital Primate-killing behaviors that "Old world" Felines have....

I'm not sure I believe that theory for a number of reasons, but it is interesting nonetheless....

Old 08-26-2015, 06:15 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
What? I posted this to be right about what, exactly?
When or where did I even ever post my opinion on the whole Cecil matter?

Glad you assigned yourself to be my spokesperson.

CLEARLY it was meant to be exactly what it is: Dark humor.
"I wonder if this will shut the I-Loved-Cecil crowd up."

Old 08-26-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
2015 Darwin Award winner
Good...Now time to make that Lion the Darwin winner as well....Attacking a Human IS a first class ticket to the Darwin award 99.99999% of the time....thanks to our firearms! Poor Poor Cecil and other Lions who can't adapt to our superiority .....

Lets hope the game warden's track it down and shoot it!!

Old 08-26-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
"I wonder if this will shut the I-Loved-Cecil crowd up."
I still don't get what I was "trying to be right" about. That I had a question?
Wondering whether or not something will happen is not an opinion. It's an inquiry.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What is the thrill of having to see these beasts up close? You can see them in a zoo, you can see them on tv. Yet, people pay to be able to be a snack and they aren't even armed? Ok, Darwin was right.

How about shut down the stupid "safari" adventures, leave the damn cats alone and no one dies?
But how else do they raise ANY money for Conservation and to keep the National Parks run and open??

For an "Angry tax payer" it seems you missed out on Budgeting 101.

How else do they support ANY National Park/Conservation effort without some stupid "Safari Tour" thing...There needs to be some type of financial funding for any conservation (let alone on a massive scale) effort to be continued.

Get rid of all the "safari tours" and Cecil and his cousins will really really be in trouble....

Old 08-26-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
But how else do they raise ANY money for Conservation and to keep the National Parks run and open??

For an "Angry tax payer" it seems you missed out on Budgeting 101.

How else do they support ANY National Park/Conservation effort without some stupid "Safari Tour" thing...There needs to be some type of financial funding for any conservation (let alone on a massive scale) effort to be continued.

Get rid of all the "safari tours" and Cecil and his cousins will really really be in trouble....
Precisely. Why people still don't get this boggles my mind. The Safari tours were created to fund conservation areas after folks became aware of wildlife's rapid decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events