Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 04:03 PM

50,829 posts, read 36,538,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
No, I posted it as dark humor.
I love animals and the environment.
However, I also believe that the dentist-shoots-Cecil outrage was blown way out of proportion.
Do I hunt? No. I don't kill animals unless I want to eat them.
Do I disapprove of people who hunt/fish for fun? No. I'm neutral on that stance.

I'd be an absolute hypocrite to cry out for justice for hunted animals when I grew up playing sports (and still do.) Footballs are made from cowhide. Hockey pucks are made from tree sap.

Are people going to boycott football players because they enjoy throwing around pieces of cow that were slaughtered for their game?
Whatever, but if your only statement while making the original post is "I wonder if this will shut the I-Loved-Cecil crowd up." it makes pretty clear what your intent in posting was, JMO.

You are also not paying attention, because many of us on that thread are not against hunting. I have family who hunt deer, I have no problem with it. However if one of them lured a deer out of a petting zoo and shot it, I would have a big problem with it. Cecil was supposed to be in a safe, protected area and was used to being around people, so IMO shooting him is not the same as hunting in general.

Not trying to take the thread off topic, but you shouldn't have added the snarky remark if you didn't expect people to defend themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 04:06 PM

17,209 posts, read 15,428,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Whatever, but if your only statement while making the original post is "I wonder if this will shut the I-Loved-Cecil crowd up." it makes pretty clear what your intent in posting was, JMO.

You are also not paying attention, because many of us on that thread are not against hunting. I have family who hunt deer, I have no problem with it. However if one of them lured a deer out of a petting zoo and shot it, I would have a big problem with it. Cecil was supposed to be in a safe, protected area and was used to being around people, so IMO shooting him is not the same as hunting in general.

Not trying to take the thread off topic, but you shouldn't have added the snarky remark if you didn't expect people to defend themselves.
Oh, trust me, I fully expected it, which is fine.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:13 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,278,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

I love eating venison too. That dentist is a scumbag. Glad his life is now more difficult. Deport him to the jail in Zimbabwe, he will get what he deserves.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:18 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,682,349 times
Quote:
I wonder if this will shut the I-Loved-Cecil crowd up.

Safari guide killed by lion in Zimbabwe
We will never shut up, Justice for Cecil!!

Old 08-26-2015, 04:20 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,330,906 times
Quote:
Never said I didn't comprehend. Like I said, I don't hunt. Do I need to explain why? Okay, I feel it is pointless, and I have an affinity toward animals.
That said, who am I to judge hunters? They don't have to share my viewpoint.
Lots of vegetarians don't eat meat because they value animal lives too much. I eat meat. Different opinions, different perspectives. That's my stance on this.
The dentist legally hunted the lion. Needless suffering? Sure. But that's where it ends. He paid to do it the legal way. Controlled lion hunting is legal if paid for and professionally guided. It's not like he embarked on a journey with a group of Zimbabwean poachers.

As I live in both farming and ranching country I would also like to mention that you find a lot more native bird species in ranched land than in farmed land so if one truly loves nature they would also eat free range beef. The big difference is my opinion is that the football for example is made from a byproduct of the beef industry not raised specifically for footballs. I do not eat veal because of the way they are raised but I used to even own beef cattle (well a herd of four). As the fact of the sitution with Cecil is that they did lure him out of the park which is illegal. Did he also not shoot him with his crossbow at night which I thought was also illegal. I am also against trophy hunting of non game or should say of animals that will not be eated by humans. If you wish a trophy elk or moose I think that is also wrong as it weakens the gene pool of that population and personally I think that is more important they a person having a large elk head and antlers on their wall than does their neighbour. I also don't hunt but will gladly eat the meat of a game animal hunted legally. I am just too much of a wimp to shoot them however I did kill a batch of chickens we raised one year.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:53 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times
Any time you venture into THEIR domain, you take the risks involved. Just like swimming in the ocean, you can't blame a shark for doing what sharks do if they take a little nip out of you.

But I always root for the animal, like the bull in bull fights. I just LOVE to see a stupid matador when the bull turns the tables on him.

Don

Old 08-26-2015, 10:05 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:
I wonder if this will shut the I-Loved-Cecil crowd up.

Safari guide killed by lion in Zimbabwe
I will agree with you if that lion post a picture posing with his prize on facebook

Old 08-26-2015, 10:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
Default Smart Bull, Stupid People

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Any time you venture into THEIR domain, you take the risks involved. Just like swimming in the ocean, you can't blame a shark for doing what sharks do if they take a little nip out of you.

But I always root for the animal, like the bull in bull fights. I just LOVE to see a stupid matador when the bull turns the tables on him.

Don
You might be interested in this story. This bull had the right idea.

Four people gored during the Pamplona Bull run | Metro News

Old 08-27-2015, 12:04 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,927,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksalot View Post
I'm quite certain - were it possible to determine - the real "score" is disproportionately in favor of the Lions. Also, these big game hunters think themselves high and mighty for bagging their trophies using high powered rifles. Like to see them have a go at it with spears and clubs...
Spoiler

Old 08-27-2015, 09:22 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
The bull in the Pamplona story reminded me of a Disney cartoon taken from a Grimm brothers tale. Maybe that bull was channeling this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMTE47g_7a4

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events