Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 12:52 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,335,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
To be fair, environmentalists don't have much of anything to do with our drinking water. Water treatment plants and chemists are primarily responsible for that. If you go and drink water from the stream or river, I'm pretty sure you'll get severely ill.

Also, in most places in Africa, it is illegal to kill people, it is illegal to kill lions without a permit (hence the conservation areas), and the water isn't much dirtier than it is here -- they just don't have much resource to treat it the way we do.

Not totally true, it was environmentalist who fought for better water standards and clearner lakes and rivers. Environmetnalist have fought to protect aquifers and heads of watersheds. Water treatment plants do the final treatment of the water but if the water is unsafe to begin with it is difficult and sometimes imposible to make it safe for drinking. You stand some chance of getting sick from drinking from a stream or river but not as much as you would have in many cases in the 70s.

I doubt there are many water treatment plants who do not care about the state of the water entering their plant. Once inside the plant it is the workers who ensure safe water for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 02:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,480,003 times
Quote:
What? I posted this to be right about what, exactly?
When or where did I even ever post my opinion on the whole Cecil matter?

Glad you assigned yourself to be my spokesperson.

CLEARLY it was meant to be exactly what it is: Dark humor.
Apparently not so clear because people didn't take it that way. Perhaps you should either hone your posting skills or your "humor" delivery. Just a suggestion.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:39 PM

17,283 posts, read 15,484,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Apparently not so clear because people didn't take it that way. Perhaps you should either hone your posting skills or your "humor" delivery. Just a suggestion.
Considering one of those posters said something about rocket scientists and animal behaviors being correlated and the other claims I was "trying to be right" about something when I never posted anything about my opinion on the matter, I find it hard to consider them as people who'd comprehend anything beyond what my First Grader can grasp.

Actually, I later did post my stance on the Cecil hunt: neutral. If we are to go up in arms over the killing of wildlife for game, we should also protest against football players.

Some of you are just too uptight.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:45 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,280,519 times
Quote:
To be fair, environmentalists don't have much of anything to do with our drinking water. Water treatment plants and chemists are primarily responsible for that. If you go and drink water from the stream or river, I'm pretty sure you'll get severely ill.
Yeah, because the river has Giardia.

It's more about NOT releasing things into water vs treating the water. I am actually very, very familiar with drinking water quality. And air quality. I have been exposed to things you wouldn't want to be. Many of these things, a water treatment plant does not remove, especially cost effectively. More important, many people are on wells.

Without environmentalists, you would absolutely have a drastically higher risk of having cancer, right now. Clean Water Act and Clean Air Act are unequivocally priceless. We all just take it for granted in America you can go outside and breathe without a mask, or drink water from any water fountain. That is literally more important than ANYTHING ELSE PERIOD. Without that, our lives would be at risk. Short of having police officers and a working agriculture, nothing else more directly is responsible for you being alive. That is not an exaggeration.
WHO: air pollution 'is single biggest environmental health risk' | Environment | The Guardian
Air pollution kills over two million people each year, study says - CNN.com

I wish I could find this article I read about a US diplomat with a new baby that was born there that almost died, simply because of the air quality. It was gripping. This is not one of those slower-moving things like climate change that you can pretend is not real. It's real. People are dying because we treat the environment like a dumpster.

When people attack environmentalists or the environment it is just hard for me to process sometimes. Sure, Greenpeace nuts aren't doing anyone any favors, even their own cause. And yes, armchair environmentalists as someone said, that may drive a Prius but also waste resources elsewhere more than offset that in other ways, are not saving the world, as they think.

But we should be grateful to people like Rachel Carson, so that we aren't drinking poison. And if you've ever been to a National Park you really ought to appreciate the work of Teddy Roosevelt, John Muir and others that worked against all odds and against vested interests, to create the greatest National Park system in the world.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:54 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,335,773 times
Quote:
Considering one of those posters said something about rocket scientists and animal behaviors being correlated and the other claims I was "trying to be right" about something when I never posted anything about my opinion on the matter, I find it hard to consider them as people who'd comprehend anything beyond what my First Grader can grasp.

Actually, I later did post my stance on the Cecil hunt: neutral. If we are to go up in arms over the killing of wildlife for game, we should also protest against football players.

Some of you are just too uptight.

Cows or pigs are not baited out of a protected area to be killed only for a trophy. I thought footballs were originally out of pigskin.

Are you saying that if you eat or use any animal product than you must support any and all killing of animals? That is not neutral at all. Killing of animals for sport if you are also hunting and eating is totally different than killing an animal simply to mount another trophy on your wall and to waste the food. Or hunting in a protected area, a protected species, taking more than your allotment or out of season. It is not either all killing or no killing.

Protesting factory farms for chickens and turkeys might be more useful than that of beef cattle at least the ones I see being raised as one is humane and one is not. Shooting a lion and having it suffer for over a day is not very humane either.

The outrage about Cecil was how it was done and why it was done more than the fact that animals are killed. It was more a case of someone with money getting whatever they wanted without regard for anything else. There is little outrage over the annual deer hunt or the Africans hunting weirdobeast (not sure of spelling). It is not an all or nothing.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Cows or pigs are not baited out of a protected area to be killed only for a trophy. I thought footballs were originally out of pigskin.
Today's footballs are made of cowhide.
Also, how aren't they lured out from their protected enclosures to be killed only for a superbowl ring?

I understand that needless suffering was caused in Cecil's death. I agree with that. However, the number of hunted animals in those conservation areas is strictly monitored. The killing of that lion isn't much different than the authorized killing of bears and gators we have here in FL during bear and gator hunting seasons.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,480,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post

Are you saying that if you eat or use any animal product than you must support any and all killing of animals? That is not neutral at all. Killing of animals for sport if you are also hunting and eating is totally different than killing an animal simply to mount another trophy on your wall and to waste the food. Or hunting in a protected area, a protected species, taking more than your allotment or out of season. It is not either all killing or no killing.

Protesting factory farms for chickens and turkeys might be more useful than that of beef cattle at least the ones I see being raised as one is humane and one is not. Shooting a lion and having it suffer for over a day is not very humane either.

The outrage about Cecil was how it was done and why it was done more than the fact that animals are killed. It was more a case of someone with money getting whatever they wanted without regard for anything else. There is little outrage over the annual deer hunt or the Africans hunting weirdobeast (not sure of spelling). It is not an all or nothing.
Very good points made here. It's difficult for some to understand the real essence of the circumstances here. Making light of what one does not understand is either a sign of a refusal to make an attempt to comprehend or the inability to comprehend the situation.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Very good points made here. It's difficult for some to understand the real essence of the circumstances here. Making light of what one does not understand is either a sign of a refusal to make an attempt to comprehend or the inability to comprehend the situation.
Never said I didn't comprehend. Like I said, I don't hunt. Do I need to explain why? Okay, I feel it is pointless, and I have an affinity toward animals.
That said, who am I to judge hunters? They don't have to share my viewpoint.
Lots of vegetarians don't eat meat because they value animal lives too much. I eat meat. Different opinions, different perspectives. That's my stance on this.
The dentist legally hunted the lion. Needless suffering? Sure. But that's where it ends. He paid to do it the legal way. Controlled lion hunting is legal if paid for and professionally guided. It's not like he embarked on a journey with a group of Zimbabwean poachers.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:17 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,095,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm just trying to find one of those dolphin interaction parks that will let me pay to kidney punch one of them fish. They think they are so smart with that stupid grin laughing all the time. I think a punch to the kidney would shut their blow holes for a moment, and let those Flipper-wanna-bes know they aren't as cool as they think.
I actually thought this was pretty funny. I seriously don't think the dude really wants to punch a dolphin in the kidney though. LOL The absurdity of the act is what makes it funny.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:40 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,338,902 times
Quote:
Never said I didn't comprehend.
Well maybe a little...

Quote:
The dentist legally hunted the lion.
He might have thought it was legal, but it actually was not. Not sure how you missed that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events