Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 06:09 AM

1,069 posts, read 713,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
"Probable Cause."

I think this is actually happened to my friend one time. He was driving a two year old minivan (I was in the passenger seat) and we saw a cop parked in the middle divider of the road. We both looked at the cop as we were passing by and he immediately turned his lights on and pulled us over. The cop came up to his car, looked at both of us and said he pulled him over because he thought his inspection was expired. It was actually inspected four months prior.

Then he left. Never asked for a driver's license or proof of insurance.

and the problem is? the officer apparently thought the inspection was expired, it wasnt, and you were on your way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 07:06 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,063,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
happened to me many times in different states and Im not black... and has NOTHING to do with race...
I was pulled over once for looking in the rear view mirror too much at the police. He said I looked nervous.

Another time we drove by some police who were standing outside of their car. They got into the car, caught up with us, followed us for a while and pulled us over. The reason they gave was my passenger looked like someone they were looking for.

Both times I did not receive a ticket.

In my case also it had nothing to do with race. Long hair hippie look was a factor I believe.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:31 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,282,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
We call it the felony look... or the awxsheeit look. Parolees have it..cops have it..they know us..and we them .. regular citizens display discernrment or fear .. crooks display deceit.. fear.. and doubt... its so telling a one year took learns this.. if you want to stay alive you do

How many times have each of you looked at your children and knew they did something "wrong" long before you discovered it...
I can't pull you over for "the look"
But I can for the other 48000 vehicle codes

Get over it folks

And while were on the subject
Profiling works very very well...we aren't allowed to do it because of PC garbage
Unbelievable!
Quote:
The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:34 AM

50,391 posts, read 47,120,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
happened to me many times in different states and Im not black... and has NOTHING to do with race...
They'll run with it anyway

Old 08-27-2015, 07:55 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,040,895 times
That's why I wear my sunglasses at night.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:27 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,040,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
And now you get to the meat of the problem. Eventually a society ends up with so many laws that everyone is breaking at least one of them at any given moment. At that point law enforcement can do whatever the hell it wants and come up with the justification for it later...and then tell you to get over it.
****Winner**** ***WINNER***

If you leave your home on any given day there is a 100% chance by the time you've gone less than a mile you've broken some law either in fact or by judgement call that can be used as probable cause to dig for more.

I've always known that when near cops one should always alter one's gaze to show deference, almost like you'd do when the King or Queen enters the room. If walking, kneeling or at least a bow/curtsy doesn't hurt.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:32 AM

28,687 posts, read 18,825,363 times
As I've said in other threads, this society is at the point that we have to treat police officers as though they were grizzly bears wandering into our camps: Don't look them in the eye! Is that the society Americans want?

And the police officer in this thread simply says "get over it."

Old 08-27-2015, 08:34 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,795,243 times
That's why they call them "One Time" on the West Coast.

You look (glance) once, and you don't look again, lest you raise suspicion.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:36 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,936,307 times
Quote:
You get it... people with agendas never will... the officer mentioned his legal reason for the stop ..and his feelings ..one is legal ..the other doesn't matter UNLESS its coupled with other legal reasons

We call it the felony look... or the awxsheeit look. Parolees have it..cops have it..they know us..and we them .. regular citizens display discernrment or fear .. crooks display deceit.. fear.. and doubt... its so telling a one year took learns this.. if you want to stay alive you do

How many times have each of you looked at your children and knew they did something "wrong" long before you discovered it...
I can't pull you over for "the look"
But I can for the other 48000 vehicle codes

Get over it folks

Profiling works very very well...we aren't allowed to do it because of PC garbage

Ask the Israelis....
You are right. When I did Grand Jury duty, the officers explained the things they look for when performing criminal interdiction. And the "felony look" - as you put it - is one of those things (there are others - it was good to know ).

I don't see the problem provided the officer is professional and ethical in the way he/she conducts the stop.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:39 AM

50,903 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:

Get over it folks

Ask the Israelis....
1. Hell no. We're not going to get over it, any more than you cops with a chip on your shoulder will get over it.

2. I am not opposed to limited profiling.

3. "PC garbage". Do you know what "PC" is based on? Common courtesy. Having consideration for others.

4. Just because something "works", doesn't mean that it's right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events